Anyone own a 1.2 86bhp Monte Carlo?

Scania450

Hi all,quick question...my other half is currently thinking about buying one of these,either new or ex demo. Just wondering if anyone can give us real world mpg figures,as I used to be in the motor trade,so know that the brochure figures are somewhat unrealistic! She does a mix of town and motorway driving. Also,how would you rate the 86hp tsi for everyday usability-ie,is it good for motorways,does it accelerate well? Any info much appreciated. Will be having a test drive in a few weeks,as my Octavia is due its first service,so will take 'the boss' with me! Just value some real owners views first! Thanks in advance.

My wife has one which we bought almost a year ago. We bought it second hand...3years old with 20k miles. She has done 10k miles in it so far. Get about 420miles from a tank of mixed driving (mainly town/country roads) which works out at 42mpg . I enjoy driving it and it feels a lot better on motorways than the corsa she had before. Above about 80mph it doesn't have great acceleration and the engine tends to become slightly noisy. Fuel consumption also suffers if cruising at 80mph or above. Don't know how anyone gets close to the quoted mpg figures unless sitting at a steady speed on the motorway. I spent some time finding one with options....blue tooth, climate control, maxi dot (makes the instrument binacle look much better), arm rest and cruise control. I had a mk2 octavia tsi vrs at the time with stage 1 remap so obviously the fabia felt rather slow in comparison lol. After driving the fabia I would jump back into the octavia and it would feel really big and heavy. No where near as nimble feeling as the fabia.

Edited by neil_f

Hi all,quick question...my other half is currently thinking about buying one of these,either new or ex demo. Just wondering if anyone can give us real world mpg figures,as I used to be in the motor trade,so know that the brochure figures are somewhat unrealistic! She does a mix of town and motorway driving. Also,how would you rate the 86hp tsi for everyday usability-ie,is it good for motorways,does it accelerate well? Any info much appreciated. Will be having a test drive in a few weeks,as my Octavia is due its first service,so will take 'the boss' with me! Just value some real owners views first! Thanks in advance.

The 86bhp 1.2 tsi is exactly the same as the 1.2 tsi 105bhp, other then a map.

Because of this, they both remap up to around 130bhp on a stage 1

Vag charge about £700 more for the 105bhp when new, and a remap by revo (for example) is currently on offer at £300, usually £400.

I dont think youll feel short of power driving the 86bhp with normal driving, it pulls well from right down low. I test drive the 105ps last year and if i didnt know better, is think it was a much bigger engine than it actually is.

If you do fancy abit more though. The above into in a remap might be useful to you.

Oh yeah. People on here seem to report between 45 and 50mpg on an average run.

Remapping has the possibility of voiding the warranty and causing insurance hikes - remapping an 86 to 130 is percentage wise a fair hike in power, which is what insurance companies look at and could cause headaches.

The 86ps is a fine engine and in no way feels underpowered, as pointed out it's the same engine as the 105ps which is pretty quick for a 1.2 and more than a lot of people actually need.

Remapping has the possibility of voiding the warranty and causing insurance hikes - remapping an 86 to 130 is percentage wise a fair hike in power, which is what insurance companies look at and could cause headaches.

The 86ps is a fine engine and in no way feels underpowered, as pointed out it's the same engine as the 105ps which is pretty quick for a 1.2 and more than a lot of people actually need.

All stuff to bear in mind. Yes (:

Worth waiting till the warrantees out. I agree.

Also have a Monte TSI 86 from new in 2012; prefer this lower tune of TSI to the 105 in the Fabia, as really the latter needs the 6 speed box like in our Rapid.

My good lady tends to drive it the most with a mix of short local, rural A/B/'Z' road and occasional m way roads and we generally get fill to fill readings of between 42 to 45 mpg. Great little car and has the legs for really long runs if need be; drove ours last year to Switzerland to visit family currently working out there.

Only thing I'd advise is to check the car your buying for the Monte left hand pull; a number of threads on here about it. Some seem to be OK others like ours have a tendency to want to drift left with the camber all the time, particularly at higher speeds.

As a thought if fuel economy is important, then maybe look at a Spaceback, as they tend to be more frugal; our 105 averages much closer to 50 mpg and some 86 owners have been reporting low 50's.

TP

I have to agree with TP as far as the gearbox goes, the 105 would do well with a 6 speed. The 105 is a great little engine, quick enough in town and comfortable on the motorway. Mpg wise I get about low 40s on 'a' roads. My fiesta 1l ecotec twin turbo returns about mid 50s with the same power output.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

How about buying a 2013 VRS instead for similar money?

Without upsetting anybody.

The OP should be made aware of the possible issues with doing such a thing

The 1.2 tsi would be better for an every day engine IMO. Hes less likely to see issues.

I dont want to upset anybody, but i dont want the OP buying a VRS and thinking the 1.4 twincharger is as low maintenance and less problematic engine like the others in the range.

I was only suggesting mine which is a good one.

Aware of the issues lots have had, but would only suggest mine if I was confident in it.

Litre of oil put in at 4,500, 6,500 and 12,500 miles and now on 17,500.

Still sounds like a lot of oil to top up in a short period of time. My wife's 1.2tsi has used no oil in almost 10k miles!

• Like 1

Hi guys,many thanks for your replies. VRS is not really an option due to extra insurance and running costs-plus,the engine issues I've been reading about on the forum. She's very keen on the Monte Carlo,and the 86bhp would be plenty,as she's been used to a 50hp Polo for 13 years. Now would seem a good time to get a deal,as the new model is due,and dealers will be keen to shift existing stock. Have been looking at used car section on Skoda site,and there are plenty of pre-registered and ex demo examples available,so if she likes the test drive,we should be in a good position to start haggling between the dealers. We have 4 dealers within a fairly local area,so they'll all be getting midered if we decide to buy! Thanks again for your info!

• Like 1