Radiator fan staying on

Drove home last night, switched off the engine and got out of the car. There was a hot smell and the radiator fans were running. I waited for a couple of miuntes and the fans were still on. I started the car again and the fans went off. Temperature gauge reading normal.

It was 2 degrees centigrade and I've never heard the fans on even in the middle of summer.

Stuck thermostat?

Sounds like DPF regeneration was in progress... My old Seat Exeo did this, fans stayed on for about 10 mins... Take it for a good run, keep revs above 2000 and it should be OK... :)

I usually know when mine has started, you come to a standstill and it is ticking over at around 1000 rpm... I just so a 5 mile run (round trip) at about 2500 rpm, 4th or 5th with my DSG and it sorts it... 

Must admit Superb seems to do it more than the Exeo did :)

Thanks. That's most likely then. It's never happened before and the car was driving normally prior to switch off. Idle speed no higher either.

When I first had the Exeo which was my first diesel, I was at the supermarket when it first did it, turned it off, opened the door and felt the heat... fans ran for about 10 mins, scared the life out of me...Lol 

You've interrupted a routine DPF regeneration, that's all. You won't know what stage of regen you interrupted (pre- or post- particulate burn off). If pre- then the car will just try to regen at the next opportunity. No need to drive like a nutter unless the DPF warning light comes on.

As above most likely you've interupted an active regen and its nothing to worry about. If you get the yellow dpf light come on its a sign that its attempted a number of active regens but was unable to complete one successfully probably due to short journeys but you should have had the fans on again. The other usual sign an active regen is going on is tick over is raised to about 1000 rpm. When it drops back to normal you know its finished. It will do an active regen at least every 600 miles and more often if tne soot builds up to a pre determined level in the dpf. There's loads of threads on this and a search will bring you up some bed time reading! Because of tne cold weather you're likely to get more regens than in the summer.

Happens me regularly. The regen is quite normal of course but It's a bit of a pain when the fan doesn't go off at all. I usually have to start the engine to stop the fan from running. I have also found that It can sometimes attract a bit of unwanted attention to the car if you walk away and let the fan running!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk