Superb Combi DSG 4x4 - Snowchains?

It's been a while since I have been here, and I have a question...

We're soon to leave on a little ski holiday in Austria, and this time we are taking the car (we used to take the train, but with a kid, we seem to have 3 times as much luggage).  The Superb performs wonderfully in winter conditions with winter tyres, but when heading up the Alps in winter time, snow chains are mandatory.

My question:  As the car is 4x4, I assume I should need 2 pairs of chains?  Otherwise, if I only put the chains on the front tyres, I am effectively going to lose the rear-axle drive if it kicks in.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?

Many thanks.

Alan.

This site is a useful source of advice.

http://www.snowchains.com/FAQs

In summary, if you have winter tyres, you only have to have one pair of chains, but could use two if you prefer.

The advice about checking carefully the clearance between the inside of any tyre to which you will fit the chains and the suspension springs as described in the web page. Over the last 15 years or so using VAG vehicles with wide low profile tyres, I have had these problems and as such purchased Spikes Spiders snow chains. The Thule K-Summit chains mentioned in the link are similar.

I always carry the chains on the trips to the Alps (about 15 trips) and rarely use them - about three times!

Enjoy the trip

• Like 1

Winter tyres work very well on snow without chains, that's what they're designed for, so I'm not sure you'll need chains to get around. I'd check what the regulations for Austria require and make sure I meet them.

The interesting question is whether the Haldex 4WD system uses a centre differential at all. It may just have a clutch to connect and disconnect the drive to the rear wheels on demand. If it does then it is possible for all the drive to spin the back wheels when the front wheels have all the grip, if not then all wheels turn regardless of grip.

The chances are your car has this: http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/eds.html - which certainly prevents this from happening for varying grip between the left and right wheels, but should do the same front to back if required, but nothing explicitly says so.

• Like 1

Chains on the front for 4x4, with winters. As above, be very careful of clearance behind the tyre. Using 16" wheels, you can use 9mm chains or thinner, if on 18" you`ll have to buy the expensive ones that attach to the outside of the tyre, like Spikes.

• Like 1