Newbie, Memory seat problem & how I fixed it!

I'm not a betting man but I'd have money on the fact that if greenlinerII was unfortunate to have to take his car to a Skoda main dealer then all they would have done is plug the car in, seen the fault code and then proceeded to swap out the controller. The dealer is in a win-win situation, it's either a warranty claim or a chargeable customer repair. Either way the dealer gets paid. Gone are the days where a franchised dealer will take the time to do the investigative work needed to get to the bottom of this issue.

Great post! It just shows the value of VCDS (if it was a car out of warranty then the money saved has just paid for VCDS).

It also shows the value and importance of doing a little homework before running back to the seller. This is exactly what makes Briskoda great!

• Like 3

Thanks for the replys guys.

Danny57 - Car was purchased from an independent dealer with a 3rd party warranty (car has done 78k and is 3 years and 4 months old) however it does not cover electric/memory seats (surprise, surprise). If the dealer was local to me I would have taken it back and had a good winge at them to get them to fix it, but they are a 250 mile round trip so didnt really fancy that. Plus I prob had a better shot at fixing it than they did as they didnt even know the full spec of the car when I bought it (had to explain to the salesman that the button with the steering wheel and a 'P' was for the park assist, and how to use it).  

silver1011 - Thanks for your comments. I am always reluctant to take my cars to the dealers for that reason (my last mk6 Golf went in for a juddering fault, 5 weeks and £3k in parts later it came out exactly the same (under VW warranty thank god!!!)). I have found VCDS to be one of the best tools I have ever purchased, yes it is expensive for the initial outlay but when you learn how to us it to its full potential it is fab. Plus in the 3.5 years it has paid for itself many times over doing work for others as well.

Thanks again guys.

greenlinerII  :nerd:

I am always reluctant to take my cars to the dealers for that reason (my last mk6 Golf went in for a juddering fault, 5 weeks and £3k in parts later it came out exactly the same (under VW warranty thank god!!!)). I have found VCDS to be one of the best tools I have ever purchased, yes it is expensive for the initial outlay but when you learn how to us it to its full potential it is fab. Plus in the 3.5 years it has paid for itself many times over doing work for others as well.

+1

• 5 years later...
On 08/01/2015 at 04:20, greenlinerII said:

Tested the memory buttons using VCDS and established that they were all working ok, also the seat would still go to the previous owners position on buttons 1 and 2.

Reviving an old thread!

Tested them how? Measuring block - 007 & 008? I'm not sure if my switches are alright - because in these 2 blocks, when presing the respective switches, the status isn't changing to "Operational".

Seat movements are fine but Memory functions aren't working at all and there are no errors in the control module.