Brake light switch

cufcrob

The other night, the coil light started flashing on the dash, and having checked, my brake lights aren't working which suggests it's the brake light switch. Having looked at a few YouTube videos, it looks a simple task to replace and only costs around a tenner for the part.

Has anyone done this themselves? Is it really that simple? And does it make a difference which switch I use, as long as it's for a Fabia?

Easy replacement, about half hour few mins to replace switch. Rest is undoing lower part of dash to get at it. I pulled my brake pedal right up to the point where it clicked and stayed in place (Weather that's good or no I don't know but worked for me). Twist off old one and put in place pull out the push pin on switch and push brake pedal back into position. 

Na Bud it can be ****** up! LOL. The push rod on the switch its pretty flimsy, Along with dropping the clips for the side panel of the dash down into the dash....Losing the torq screws ect ect. You need to go in from the O/S dash end cap where the door closes onto and use a trim tool or padded flat head to pry the flap open and off......Better still.....I followed this guide. Tho i used the most current BLS and was a little diff installing the switch but you'll get it.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/211083-diy-fabia-i-brake-light-switch-replacement/

Like Mogwye said, check ya bulbs over i had the issue of them never going off so wasn't like your issue. Also the sweitch may just need a bit of wiggling and the oush rod may just be stiff. But I didn't pay alot for the switch.

Edited by LeezoG

My advice is, only buy the lastest version from a VAG dealer, the latest version is HUGE at the connector end when compared with previous ones, and it is refittable - ie will not break if initially fitted incorrectly.

The procedure is different when fitting the latest version, though as I said, if you mess up, you can try fitting it agin until you get it right.

I've remembered what the proper way to fit the latest switch is - DO NOT DEPRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL WHILE REPLACING THE SWITCH, KEEP PEDAL UP ON ITS TOP STOP.

If you use the original method, ie meant only for the first two revisions of switch, you will end up with a switch plunger set/locked at its fullest extension, this will mean the brake lights will still not work and the pedal will not be able to return to its top stop.

I have adjusted the brake light switch but the lights are still on

New switch buddy, I had exactly the same.

Have you adjusted it or replaced it? If adjusted get a new one if replaced and still not working...either fitted incorrectly mate or faulty switch

Edited by LeezoG

Which version did you buy, latest version with BIG plastic area at the connector end or black/purple/green old style version which was alot smaller at connector end.  If latest version, fit with brake pedal fully up and make sure you feel a "click", if any older versions, fully extend the plunger and fit with brake pedal depressed.