PD105 BXE Coolant Loss....Common issues?

Evening all,

My coolant warning has flashed up every morning, and is losing an expansion tanks worth of coolant everyday.

Due to dark mornings and evenings, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet so just filing it each morning.

To begin my search on Saturday, are there any common areas for losing coolant? No sign of any smoke and oil is, well, oily. No mayo issues so ruling out HGF for now.

Hoping it's nothing expensive....needs a fair few £s spending on it already over the next couple of months! It's a '56 plate with 123k on it.

My wife's Mk5 with a BXE never lost a drop of coolant. It did have a new cambelt and water pump as scheduled.

It did however lose every drop of oil when it put a rod through the block.

It is due a cambelt, so hopefully that'll be it! I know pretty much nothing about PD engines, no idea where any of the pipework goes!! I'll look around it Saturday though.

One thing I do know about them is that a minority of the BXE engines had issues with rods going through blocks...not many of them though ;)

• 6 months later...

At that age, radiator might be corroded through and leaking, in the past year I have replaced rads in both my 54 octy and wife's 04 golf.

Thermostat is another possibility, so is water pump. I have also had where bottom rad hose came away from a plastic clip which is supposed to keep it in place, this allowed the pipe to come into contact with the radiator fans which rubbed a huge hole in the pipe!