Got my quote back today on a new estate

Bluecar1 I think you'll find I was comparing similar sized vehicles - check the physical dimensions and boot volumes etc. Also, I didn't mention the Kia Rio at all.

However, I still believe my comparisons are sufficient to show the value for money of the Fabia Estate. Having in the last 10 years owned a VW Tiguan, a Merc C class and M class, , a Volvo S60 and V50, a Kia Sorento and a Skoda Superb, I am in an informed position to be able to assess build quality, practicality and value for money!

I appreciate that some finance schemes are questionable, especially in these times of low interest rates and I sympathise with those who feel the Skoda Scheme is questionable, but that's all about financing the purchase, not a criticism of the merchandise. I know this thread started about financing, so rather than press on I'll say no more.

Love the forum though - always very interesting and informative.

fabia 3 hatch (L, W, H, Boot capacity)  3992, 1732, 1467, 330ltrs

i20 hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity) 4035, 1734, 1474, 326ltrs

looks pretty similar, spent many hours comparing the new i20, fabia 3 and polo (also audi a1) both equipment, costs (purchase and running), lead times and dimensions

my choice for various reasons was the i20 with an acceptable compromise to me that Hyundai engines are behind VAG but standard equipment better than VAG, 5year unlimited milage warranty and 5 year roadside cover against VAG 3 year 60,000 mile warranty and 3 year roadside cover

i30 hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity) 4300, 1780, 1470, 378ltrs

Octavia hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity)  4659, 1814, 1461, 590 ltrs

rapid hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity)  4483, 1706, 1461, 548ltrs

i40 hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity) 4740, 1815, 1470, 525ltrs

if you are comparing estates, then VW don't do one below the golf, and Hyundai the i30, but they are both a size class above the fabia so will of course be more expensive

this is the one area skoda have a unique selling point an estate in the supermini class

Edited by bluecar1

This is all very interesting and informative BUT having spent ages researching the options for replacing my wife's 4-year old Audi A1 with a small car with loads of luggage space (seats up or seats down), with an annual mileage of well over 12,000 and pricing out the "reasonable" option, I have considered:

Petrol v Diesel

Manual v DSG (or DCT)

Hatchback or Estate

Physical size

Residual values

Basic specs and cost of desired options

Design features

Aesthetic appearance

AND looking at:

Kia Ceed (Hatchback and SW)

Hyundai i30

BMW Series 2 Active Tourer (what a lovely car!)

VW Golf SV

Skoda Fabia Estate

Volvo V40

Merc A class

etc  (i.e. a range of manufacturers)

I have costed up a Fabia SE-L 1.4 Tdi 90PS DSG - £18,385

PLUS

Panoramic roof                          £725

Detachable towball                    £410

Sunset glass                              £180

Desired paintwork                      £175

Cornering foglights                     £130

Variable boot floor                      £110

Front and rear parking sensors  £290

Space-saving spare wheel         £85

- the overall cost is  £20490, that's  - £7500 cheaper than a BMW; over £6000 cheaper than an Audi A3; £5000 cheaper than a Volvo; £4000 cheaper than a VW Golf SV; £2400 cheaper than a Golf Hatchback; £2000 cheaper than either Kia or Hyundai, AND none of these others include Panoramic Sunroof or detachable towballl!!!!!!!

I think its time some of you guys got real - times change, prices go up, demand increases prices, improving reputation increases prices, improved technology increases prices etc etc.

I have viewed ALL the above cars and test driven most of them - and I STILL think the Skoda Fabia Estate DSG looks a no-brainer compared to the others.

But no doubt many of you will disagree so feel free to put me right!

Over £20k for a Fabia? That's mental. I'd rather pay the extra for any of those other cars you mention. The new Fabia isn't value for money until the mega discounts start rolling in my view :-)

OK. That's your opinion. Just check out the specs though, including fuel economy - I'm not as mental as you might think!

Sorry mate, I don't think you are mental - just the prices.

For comparison:

Ford Fiesta ST-3 can be had for 16k

Ford Focus ST Estate on offer for 18.4k

Seat Leon Cupra 280 22.2k with discount

VW Polo GTI 5dr DSG 17.2k.....

VW Golf Estate 2.0Tdi 150 DSG is 21.2k on drive the deal if you want a comfy, economical auto estate.

Just some food for thought :-)

fabia 3 hatch (L, W, H, Boot capacity)  3992, 1732, 1467, 330ltrs

i20 hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity) 4035, 1734, 1474, 326ltrs

looks pretty similar, spent many hours comparing the new i20, fabia 3 and polo (also audi a1) both equipment, costs (purchase and running), lead times and dimensions

my choice for various reasons was the i20 with an acceptable compromise to me that Hyundai engines are behind VAG but standard equipment better than VAG, 5year unlimited milage warranty and 5 year roadside cover against VAG 3 year 60,000 mile warranty and 3 year roadside cover

i30 hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity) 4300, 1780, 1470, 378ltrs

Octavia hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity)  4659, 1814, 1461, 590 ltrs

rapid hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity)  4483, 1706, 1461, 548ltrs

i40 hatch  (L, W, H, Boot capacity) 4740, 1815, 1470, 525ltrs

if you are comparing estates, then VW don't do one below the golf, and Hyundai the i30, but they are both a size class above the fabia so will of course be more expensive

this is the one area skoda have a unique selling point an estate in the supermini class

I'm assuming Optimist is referring to the same size vehicles, i.e. the fabia estate vs i30 hatch. Not stuff in the same overall class as such but rather in the same practicality class

Yep! Practicality and convenience with economy. NONE of the cars mentioned by others can match the mpg of the Fabia 1.4 Tdi 90PS.

Mind you, I haven't made my mind up yet - still researching and hoping that whichever one I prefer is OK with SWMBO.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I will check out all.

Over £20k for a Fabia? That's mental. I'd rather pay the extra for any of those other cars you mention. The new Fabia isn't value for money until the mega discounts start rolling in my view :-)

£20k for a Fabia with a 1.2l engine is an awful lot of money, if you knocked the nigh on £2k's worth of options off then it makes it a bit more palatable. That's £2k worth of depreciation on top of the VAT that you're not going to get back when you come to sell as extras don't bump up the resale price.

It then makes the prices for the other cars better as they won't lose as much money come selling on time, residuals are based on list prices not purchase prices including options.

• Like 1

Why would I knock off the extras I want????  When you put those "extras:" on ALL the other cars that have been recommended as alternatives on here, the prices are WAY above those of the Fabia Estate,hence my original entry.

Someone suggested the Ford Focus ST Estate - I'm 67 and the wife is 65, why would we want a car that hase 250hp and does 154 mph??????  I was trying to compare like with like re-size, capacity, cost of extras etc. NOT looking for a track car (estate)!

The whole point of my comparison was to show the Fabia Estate WITH those extras was so much cheaper than all the other with the same - or even fewer extras.

I have looked at what was suggested and I am still not convinced there is a better package available WITH a fully loaded "extras plan"!

I admit I have yet to test drive the car - I've only checked it over on the forecourt - I am a bit concerned about the comments about it sounding like a tractor - I was assured by the salesperson they were all a lot quieter than the Mk IIs, both petrol and diesel.

The car we are changing from is a 2011 1.6 Audi A1 - a beautifully built small car, but that IS like a tractor until you're out on the motorway!  A new one of those (which would be too small and defeats the aim of more space) is AT LEAST  £20600 and doesn't include a towball, turning fog lights, spare wheel, etc etc.  AND there is no estate option.

• Like 2

Why would I knock off the extras I want????  When you put those "extras:" on ALL the other cars that have been recommended as alternatives on here, the prices are WAY above those of the Fabia Estate,hence my original entry.

Someone suggested the Ford Focus ST Estate - I'm 67 and the wife is 65, why would we want a car that hase 250hp and does 154 mph??????  I was trying to compare like with like re-size, capacity, cost of extras etc. NOT looking for a track car (estate)!

The whole point of my comparison was to show the Fabia Estate WITH those extras was so much cheaper than all the other with the same - or even fewer extras.

I have looked at what was suggested and I am still not convinced there is a better package available WITH a fully loaded "extras plan"!

I admit I have yet to test drive the car - I've only checked it over on the forecourt - I am a bit concerned about the comments about it sounding like a tractor - I was assured by the salesperson they were all a lot quieter than the Mk IIs, both petrol and diesel.

The car we are changing from is a 2011 1.6 Audi A1 - a beautifully built small car, but that IS like a tractor until you're out on the motorway!  A new one of those (which would be too small and defeats the aim of more space) is AT LEAST  £20600 and doesn't include a towball, turning fog lights, spare wheel, etc etc.  AND there is no estate option.

I have had a drive of one, it does not sound like a tractor.

I have to say, there is a whole lot of people on here determined to poo-poo a positive opinion of a vehicle, without actually listening or referencing the points made.

I too started thinking ' way too expensive for me ' when I first saw the pricing. But I have ordered one of the most expensive available.

When you compare price and space and spec, on new vehicles, there is nothing else in it's class.

Let me clarify that:

I have ordered (and is being built this week) 1.4tdi DSG SEL Estate with a list price with my options of £19,620 (not what I paid)

For a new car, for the space you get, for the economy, free road tax etc - most other cars I looked at were between £5 - £9,000 more expensive.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with everything Optimist has said.

People love saying, 'ooh you could get a used Octavia VRS for that or a Leon FR with 2000 miles on it'

Yeah great, and for the price of a used Octavia VRS I could get 3 Citigo's - What's your point?

Listen to the points raised, and if you disagree, fine, but I reject any views that are not based on a reasonable like for like basis.

Anyway - Rant over, I am for one, looking forward to my new Fabia Estate arriving some time next month, my third new Skoda in a row!

Kev.

• Like 3

Well said Kev. I feel a little bit of a fraud now as today I have agreed to a new VW Golf SV 1.9 Tdi 110PS. DSG.

I re-visited the showroom with SWMBO and once again thought I'd like one BUT over £4000 dearer. However, to cut a long story short I got £2500 off as part of their Feb deals. They included free metallic paint, front and rear parking sensors, free GAP cover (VWs own version), free 3 years servicing, Williams F1 Paint Protection AND they offered me £2000 MORE as a part exchange on my Audi A1.

What could I say - yes please done and dusted.

I STILL feel the Fabia Estate fully loaded with extras is a great deal BUT I think the VW will give a better residual value.

So, search is over and I am delighted. Good luck to all you Fania Edtste folks, I'm sure it will be a great car.

• Like 1

Well said Kev. I feel a little bit of a fraud now as today I have agreed to a new VW Golf SV 1.9 Tdi 110PS. DSG.

I re-visited the showroom with SWMBO and once again thought I'd like one BUT over £4000 dearer. However, to cut a long story short I got £2500 off as part of their Feb deals. They included free metallic paint, front and rear parking sensors, free GAP cover (VWs own version), free 3 years servicing, Williams F1 Paint Protection AND they offered me £2000 MORE as a part exchange on my Audi A1.

I STILL feel the Fabia Estate fully loaded with extras is a great deal BUT I think the VW will give a better residual value.

So, search is over and I am delighted. Good luck to all you Fania Edtste folks, I'm sure it will be a great car.

Glad you got sorted.

It is all about going for a deal you are happy with, that gives you what you want and is competitive.

Job done.

Enjoy your new car when it arrives.

There we go! Congratulations on your purchase. :-)

Just goes to show the Fabia 3 is currently priced uncomfortably close to far more upmarket metal once discounts etc are factored in.

Actually, the VW would have been just over £26000 without discounts and comparing like with like specifications, the Skoda would be just over £19000 without discounts so I'm afraid you're wrong Furbytom, the VW IS £7000 dearer making the Fabia a good deal!

Assuming the discounts received on the VW were matched by Skoda, then the price difference would still be £7000. I don't call £7000 uncomfortably close, depending on which figures you use, it's at least 27% dearer.

Actually, the VW would have been just over £26000 without discounts and comparing like with like specifications, the Skoda would be just over £19000 without discounts so I'm afraid you're wrong Furbytom, the VW IS £7000 dearer making the Fabia a good deal!

Assuming the discounts received on the VW were matched by Skoda, then the price difference would still be £7000. I don't call £7000 uncomfortably close, depending on which figures you use, it's at least 27% dearer.

I think you are missing my point. The discounts aren't being matched by skoda are they? It's too early for the Fabia to be getting decent discounts so in my opinion it's not good value just yet.

I couldn't give a toss about list prices. It's what you actually end up paying that interests me.

The fact you ended up in a "more expensive" VW despite how much you liked the Fabia speaks volumes I'm afraid.

• Like 1

It appears you never really wanted the Fabia then as just like I said, the Fabia will lose you too much money with all the extras you would've specced. A standard car will retain more money than a one with loads of extras.

So much for the no brainer Fabia comparison but so long as you got the car you really wanted then everyone's happy.

• Like 1

highlighted the important points there - because the RRP is artificial (unless you are bonkers) and the discounts are not being matched.

The latest octy vRS flew out of the showrooms, simply because at a time when Golfs were 7.9% with bugger all offers / discounts, and the new Leon FR was at 4.9% with free tech pack, the octy was at a reasonable discount of 5-8% off list, with 0% PCP.

Once the 0% was changed to 2.9%, sales dropped of the vRS and became even more stale when it went up further (bear in mind the rest of the Octy range was still at 0%).

A car nowadays needs good offers to sell in mass market. At a time when decent discounts are around on the Fabia's competitors, it looks expensive. The availability of an estate is it's ace in the hole and I suspect will account for quite a few sales, but I would be looking at drivethedeal etc for any offers on Leon ST's, focus estates (The ST is only a track car if you drive it as such) even then.

• Like 1

It just goes to show that everyone's different circumstances and criteria can vastly affect the deals available.

The other manufacturers that interested me could not get close to Skoda's offer for my part ex, so the Fabia estate was by far the best offer on the table.

Some of the offers for my car were £3,000 less than I achieved, so for me it was a no brainer.

I would never pay more than 4.9% for a PCP (which is what I go for), so a lot of manufacturers like VW were ruled out on that basis alone.

The only other car in the running was a brand new Alfa Giulietta QV Line 175bhp TCT Diesel, with a massive list price of over £28,000.

We all know what huge discounts you can get on an Alfa, it was around £6,500 when I nearly brought one, but the offer for my car was £1,400 worse than Skoda, thus making the Fabia estate the better deal on the day.

Most of the points raised are valid in one way or another, it all depends on the deal on the day.

You can get massive discounts on overstocks, pre-reg's etc you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

The list on my Fabia may have been £19,620, but with a discount on that plus free 3 yr servicing, free 4th yr warranty, free paint protection, free rubber mats and rubber boot liner, and an offer worth £1,400 more for my part-ex, for me it was a no brainer.

It just goes to show that everyone's different circumstances and criteria can vastly affect the deals available.

The other manufacturers that interested me could not get close to Skoda's offer for my part ex, so the Fabia estate was by far the best offer on the table.

Some of the offers for my car were £3,000 less than I achieved, so for me it was a no brainer.

I would never pay more than 4.9% for a PCP (which is what I go for), so a lot of manufacturers like VW were ruled out on that basis alone.

exactly, the skoda is flexible due to the size of the option list, but once you put more than one or two options on it can become quite expensive and you then have the delay of  factory order and having to list all the options on your insurance

I also found some of the tech of no use to me as I don't have an android phone (mirror link not supported on windows phone etc)

I ended up looking at an Octavia S 1.2TSi as it had all the things I wanted on the base model at little more than a spec'ed up fabia 3  inc 0% pcp etc, but due to the lack of interest by my dealer I turned to hyundai

Edited by bluecar1

exactly, the skoda is flexible due to the size of the option list, but once you put more than one or two options on it can become quite expensive and you then have the delay of  factory order and having to list all the options on your insurance

I also found some of the tech of no use to me as I don't have an android phone (mirror link not supported on windows phone etc)

I ended up looking at an Octavia S 1.2TSi as it had all the things I wanted on the base model at little more than a spec'ed up fabia 3  inc 0% pcp etc, but due to the lack of interest by my dealer I turned to Hyundai

Mirrorlink will initially be of no use to me either, as I don't have a smart phone.

I debated getting a Mirrorlink compatible one, but i think Mirrorlink would only get used for a Sat Nav, and I have a Tom Tom, which I am perfectly happy with, so I don't see the point.

I don't believe that I would use it for anything else, and it was not a reason for purchasing the vehicle, I would still have purchased without it.

Same goes for Smartgate really, I don't see the point.