service icon appeared

Rubbertoe

Hi, had 2nd hand Roomy (its a '63 plate)  since last June, the dash is showing the spanner, number 1 and also showing number 12.

So that means 12 days to an oil change, yes ?

Is 6 months a normal interval ? assuming that it was serviced before I bought it.

Currently at work so cant ring the garage yet, just wondered if anyone could give me a heads up ?

Thanks

If it is on Fixed Servicing & reset at the Service it might show, 372 days / 9,400 miles.

So how many miles have you covered?  and check what Mileage it was serviced at,

& on Fixed Servicing or Variable with Long LIfe VW504 00, 5w 30 Oil used at the service.

So which ever service regime, was the Service Indicator reset at the time?

Mine is a 63 plate 1.2tsi on variable servicing. Bought it new November 2013 and have done 7000 miles with no show of servicing indicator. When I press the button it show 6200 miles and a time symbol which shows 97. I presume it means 6200 miles or 97 days. So much confusion over servicing intervals some cars have fixed some have variable!!

Is it customary for the dealer ( Simpsons of Colne ) to service a car before selling it regardless of age or time between services, I checked the service book and it shows it was stamped last January so it is def due. I just assumed it would be 12 months from when we drove the car away from them which was June.

Am I wrong in thinking that ?

If we decide to have it done by them they have quoted £129 if its the 10,000 mile service or else £199. 

A used car won't be serviced unless it is due.

They undergo a multi-point check before being put on the forecourt but if it was serviced in January and put on the forecourt in June then it is unlikely it was serviced in June. An unnecessary expense. Car's are sold with a full service history, which at the point of sale it had.

Sometimes it can be used as a bargaining chip as part of the sale. Service it for me before I pick it up.

Only pay the £129. This is a basic service which includes fresh oil and a new oil filter.

The £199 service will likely include a fuel, pollen and air filter, however (and this is where they get you), these parts are only fitted if required, which on a 63 plate car won't be for a while yet. These additional parts are not usually required until at least three years old or 60,000 miles.

See here...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

A used car won't be serviced unless it is due.

They undergo a multi-point check before being put on the forecourt but if it was serviced in January and put on the forecourt in June then it is unlikely it was serviced in June. An unnecessary expense. Car's are sold with a full service history, which at the point of sale it had.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was told, the car itself is an ex Europcar one and has done over 17,000 miles. Have since booked it in at a more local garage and is going to cost £120.

Edited by Rubbertoe