Poll: Quietest tyres for the 03 ? 'Name That Tyre!'

Reading through many posts it seems there are many opinions from real life drivers about the amount of real time road noise from various makes of tyres.

So, how about a 1 ~ 10 'Name That Tyre' poll vote?

1 ~ 4    being 'Very quiet' to 'Fairly quiet'.

5          being 'Acceptable'.

6 ~ 10  being 'Noisy to Very noisy'

It would also help to state car model vRS, SE etc and whether HB or Estate. Not exactly scientific but may show up the good and bad!

Any specifics relating to road surface may also help. Example: T/Motorway 3. Concrete 7.

But please keep it short'ish.

Goodyear XXX roadmaster

VRS Estate.

General 5. Tarmac M/Way 3, Concrete Motorway 7. You could use TMW for Tarmac Motorway and CMW for Concrete.........

IF you suffer from the Boom problem this may be worth putting down as well to see if the same tyres are common to the problem.

• Like 1

This is always going to be subjective to the individual and unless they've tried all the tyres how can they give it an accurate rating out of 10 or whatever. Personally I don't find my tyres that noisy but they might be very noisy compared to others out there - I've only had one set of replacements on my Octy so can only compare one to the other. You're best off using the EU rating label for the tyres which lists the noise in DB as they are all measured in the same way.

• Like 1

This is always going to be subjective to the individual and unless they've tried all the tyres how can they give it an accurate rating out of 10 or whatever. Personally I don't find my tyres that noisy but they might be very noisy compared to others out there - I've only had one set of replacements on my Octy so can only compare one to the other. You're best off using the EU rating label for the tyres which lists the noise in DB as they are all measured in the same way.

This is how I selected my tyres. Tyreleader are particulary good for seaching by the different ratings (Fuel Efficiency/Grip On Wet/Noise), or in fact any of your preferences, even if you eventually buy from elsewhere.

unless they've tried all the tyres how can they give it an accurate rating

Exactly, no one is going to try them all, and it will be subjective. It will only be an individuals opinion on their particular car and tyre combination, however if 20 people give a 3 rating on the same tyre and car and 20 give an 8 rating on the same car and one different tyre that would be a 'guide'.

The EU rating is fine, as is the Co2 EU emissions rating, okay in a lab under specific conditions, however as with stated Co2's we all know that the real world is somewhat different. 

I don't find my tyres that noisy So that would probably be general 4 or 5 on a vRS, so all we need to know is what tyres are fitted.

This is not meant as a deep investigation into the finer points of tyres, construction, lab DB levels etc. If Michelin Sport Pilots are popular 'quiet' tyres then when time to change arrives its something to look at, whereas I may not bother with Continental XXX as most say too noisy at a rating of 7~8.

From another thread:

"I suspect the Bridgestone tyres aren't the quietest. I am already looking forward to replacing them with Michelin Sport Pilots"

The Continentals that came on the car were rated on the label as 72db

My replacement Michelin Pilot Sport 3 were rated on the label as 71db.

They were quieter...no surprises there. What I'm trying to see is the information is already there.

I would've thought that generally the more efficient the tyre the quieter it is? My winter tyres (Goodyear UltraGrip 9) are more efficient and quieter than the tyres that my car came with (Michelin Primacy HP)

I've had 3 vRS estates now. The company car came on Dunlop Sport Maxx, then a private one on Conti Sport Contacts, which I replaced by Michelin Sport Pilot (it was me quoted earlier I think) and the new one is Bridgestone Potenza. The best (in my thoroughly non-scientific opinion) were the Michelins.

Parallel to this, I changed my commuting car's tyres from Michelin Energy (rather scary lack of grip on a cold, wet, winter drive) to Goodyear Efficient grip. All of these choices followed the Euro ratings for noise with the new ones being better rated and better in practice over their life. Admittedly this is always going to be subjective with a new tyre better than old, but I felt this did hold longer term.