how bad/good is your car in the snow

So basically they are required by law? They must be if you can be prosecuted for not using them, surely?

No!

The statutory provisions on the obligation to fit winter tyres In Germany were updated in 2010. There is now a so-called ‘situational winter tyre obligation.

Last week passed TUV (MOT) with summer tires on the car.

People create laws and order, not law and order create people. :)

Edited by IngusSeflers

Your car passed its inspection last week on summers -- do you have any snowy conditions at the moment, or is this a situation when there is no snow, therefore the winters are not required?

Mike

It was car of my client :notme:  I use AllSeason tires on all my cars, and yes,at the moment we have pretty snowy conditions on the road. Mornings ~ -3°C and bit of snow during the day.  It's depends of location on the map  :D  I live in North Rhine-Westphalia and we don't have winters like some other regions but anyway snow and ice is not a big surprise here. 

So basically they are required by law? They must be if you can be prosecuted for not using them, surely?

Insurance doesn't equal law?

Is insurance compulsory in the UK?  Down here, the only compulsory insurance is Third Party Personal Liability.  Third Party Property or Full Comprehensive Insurance is optional.

It does seem a bit odd that something can pass for registration / MOT / Safety Check / Pink Slip (whatever the local term is) and not be covered by the insurer.  Down here, the insurer says "If it's roadworthy, it's covered."

Then again, we also have some states where the car never has an MOT / safety check or only has a safety inspection after 5 years from new.  As IngusSelfers says "It's complicated".