opinions on ram air cone filters

hi guys

i'm currently running a pipercross panel filter and pd160 intake (previous owner put these in) and although i'm happy with how its performing and i know there will be no noticeable performance increase by changing the filter. i just want a little more noise from the front. so been looking at cone filters, really don't like the look of the s2000 ones and the traditional oiled filters (k and n) have a tenancy to mess the maf sensors up.

so has anyone had any experience with the ram air foam filters?

what are your opinions on them?

being dry foam filters do they let any small particles of dust through?

thanks

all opinions welcome 

I know it's not exactly what you're asking, but cone filters aren't the best in my opinion. Especially when compared to a good panel filter. Cone filters sit right next to a warm engine absorbing a lot of the heat, when they run best with cold air hence FMIC's etc..

I'm not too worried about them sucking in warm air as it gets super heated by the turbo anyway and I have a fmic to bring it back down. I am still on the fence about cone filters in general though

That doesn't sound too promising, have you had experience with ram air filters sepulchrave?

Edited by soul snatcher24

That doesn't sound too promising, have you had experience with ram air filters sepulchrave?

Yes, none of it good I'm afraid. I'd never recommend anything other than paper or paper/cotton filters for any turbo application.

Purely as an aside Formula 1 cars use dry cotton panel filters, MASSIVE panel filters but panel filters nonetheless. Dry Cotton panel filters are very, very expensive.

like I said I've been impressed with my panel filter and even though it's a foam filter I haven't noticed any particles getting through and I've had the intake pipe off a few times now so maybe it's just the ram air ones?

I guess I'll keep looking lol thanks for the input mate :)

A drop in filter is the best for most cars unless your cone filter is far away from the engine and in a place where it won't get heat soak, the Fabia is my daily but our race car is a gtr 35........ We have done intense testing on the gtr and found the drop in filter was the best until we moved the filter near the intercooler

I didn't think heat soak on the filter was an issue on turbo engines as when the air gets past the turbo it will be hot anyway? But it doesn't matter as it's then cooled by the intercooler?

This is true, it makes very little difference, the inlet air will generally be hotter than the engine bay even after it's been through the intercooler. It gets even hotter once it gets compressed in the cylinder before the fuel is injected.