Which lowering springs fit octavia vrs

EDI

If i was to buy some lowering springs for my octavia vrs, which other springs will fit I.e golf/bora/toledo? I hear the golf ones aren't suitable for the rear due to weight difference, but what about the bora ones? Reason I ask is I need 2 new front springs but the golf/bora ones are half the price of octavia ones

I may upgrade to coilovers in the future but for now want.springs only, thanks

Springs for VRS are model specific. Standard Octavia, & Golf/Bora will physiacally fit, but are the wrong height & loading.

Last time I bought VRS springs from TPS they were about £70 each.

Fk ak street coilies 205 delivered cheaper than a set of springs surely ?

Those do look tempting, although a bit lower than I'd like to go. The AP shocks and springs kit also looks good for about 280. Koni SRT with VRS specific H & R springs about 380 aren't they? As Pauldazzle says it's not always as simple as fit, it's more about spring load and difference between ride height front and rear. VRS has to be nose down to keep the car balanced. Even with budget coilies you can insure the ride height is correct by adjustment.

There are other choices, you can try source uprated shocks like Monroe, Sachs or al-ko (again have to be VRS specific) with H&R springs or just keep it OEM. For me suspension isn't the kind of thing I'd like to gamble with in terms of parity with other makes and models. Sometimes specifications and requirements are there for very good reasons. You can check spring loadings of set ups and such and could be worth a try, but in reality it won't save you much money, you could get it wrong so for me it's not worth the hassle.

If you only need springs right now on standard shocks, I'd get VRS oem standard springs.

I'm going for some 40mm springs from ecp, they are cheap ones but I need new springs as one of front has snapped and it's cheaper to buy them than standard, then after mot in a couple month I'll probably buy some decent coilovers, I've always had coilovers over springs but springs are just a put me on

Most peoples experience with lowering springs on a VRS with standard shocks isn't good. When I put them on mine with new Bilsten shocks the car drove like an absolute pig, & I quicky swapped back to standard springs.

The bound and rebound on standard shocks, especially when worn/used can't keep up with the higher rates of the uprated spring. Car ends up over sprung and you get a bit of a pogo effect. On some cars uprating springs is ok but on ours the shocks aren't the stiffest by any means. Lowering the car adjusts the damping of the shock by going up into its travel, but its still unlikely to be enough.

• 2 months later...

didnt want to make a new thread as this is what the search function is for :)

anyway here goes im looking into lowering our mk1 vrs but want to keep it practical so no massive drop and no mega stiff set up.

after looking at the different heights i was thinking around 30mm would be spot on and give the car a nice stance and improve the handling slightly obviously i would need some uprated shocks

so my questions are what are your views on this and what springs/shocks should i go for ?

As far as I can find out, the best suspension mod (if not done already) is the rear anti roll bar, that will improve handling more than just lowering it with nothing else. I would be getting H and R springs and bilstein shocks personally.

Whiteline rarb if you can find one! Best value for money, mine is on middle setting and really nicely balanced front to rear. That with front upper and lower brace bars stiffens the car up nicely on bowling roads and in corners without compromising comfort.

H&R are the best springs but as said above its unlikely worn oem dampers will cope too well with the uprated spring. Might be a bit boingy. By the way the drop heights that are expressed in the spec for coilies are for standard octy, so you need to take 15mm off for vrs. So if they say 35mm will drop 20mm. Found this out from Damian (DPM) recently. As far as I know H&R only do 20mm for the mk1 and they're vrs specific with spring rate, here 20mm means 20mm, if the car is a daily user I reckon that's about perfect.

H&R and Bilstein B8's on mine nice and firm, Koni FSD (not cheap option) if you want a ride with some Comfort, had these before the B8's but not firm enough for my liking.

first of all id like to thank you for your answers they are much appreciated and taking it all on board :)

also what size is the rear anti roll bar i need to look for? 

i have been looking at this kit any views on it?

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/skoda/octavia1/st-suspension-sport-suspension-kit-skoda-octavia-1u

first of all id like to thank you for your answers they are much appreciated and taking it all on board :)

also what size is the rear anti roll bar i need to look for? 

i have been looking at this kit any views on it?

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/skoda/octavia1/st-suspension-sport-suspension-kit-skoda-octavia-1u

Don't think that kit will fit, you need VRS specific kit due the front anti roll bar fitment, VRS is different to poverty models :ph34r:

• Like 1

I think the whiteline is 24mm thick which feels about right but it depends on the grade of material, more pricey ones will give similar flex for less thickness hence less weight. To be honest for the money you can't beat the whiteline,plus you can buy it without having to buy a front too. Quality bushes too. At the end of the day though any rarb will be a massive improvement as standard the car doesn't even have one. I still have standard front roll bar on, with the rear being stiffer than front it makes sense as this dials out understeer further, as I said I do find it on a mid or soft setting nicely balanced with the standard front end.

• Like 1

The cheap apex cep springs are actually mk4 golf springs, I bought some and the octavia sticker was stuck over the golf label, they sit lower at the back just like the pi springs.

However if of interest to you, I do have a set of brand new spax coilovers for sale, rrp is £700, only asking £400 for them, never been fitted, still boxed :)

• Like 1