help on braking problems

hill4332

i purchased  a citigo in June 2014 and have had the clutch pedal replaced but im finding in neutral i now get a noise that disapears when i depress the clutch.

Also i got a noise between 5 mph and zero when braking -bit like a rubbing soun.

The dealer said this is normal at 1800 miles so skoda arranged for me to go to another dealer who replaced the discs and pads under warranty(cant find evidence skoda pad them) .The problem has now returned and thyre saying this is normal for all skoda cars to have this noise(material the pads are made of)

Do i believe them

advice on both issues please

As a matter of interest ive just had a recall on the power steering-software update was required

i purchased  a citigo in June 2014 and have had the clutch pedal replaced but im finding in neutral i now get a noise that disapears when i depress the clutch.

Also i got a noise between 5 mph and zero when braking -bit like a rubbing soun.

The dealer said this is normal at 1800 miles so skoda arranged for me to go to another dealer who replaced the discs and pads under warranty(cant find evidence skoda pad them) .The problem has now returned and thyre saying this is normal for all skoda cars to have this noise(material the pads are made of)

Do i believe them

advice on both issues please

As a matter of interest ive just had a recall on the power steering-software update was required

This is absolutely fine with the clutch, it's especially audible on start up when your idle RPM is higher. I'm not sure what it is, but it's just the mechanical set-up - mine (and the courtesy car I had a while back) do it. 

Rubbing sound... difficult to tell from a description. What kind of rubbing sound? Grinding? Smooth? Rounded? Low tone? High Pitched?

Most brakes will sound rubby/screechy when cold and in their early days. It depends on what the sound is like. Any chance you're able to record it? 

As said the clutch noise is normal. Even the UP and Mii are like it. It is one of those " characteristics " of the car [emoji6]

My front brakes are quiet when cold but my rear brakes always squeal when cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you must remember is that the Citigo is built to a cost. The gearbox is undampened, no NVH, a very simple system. You're going to hear the thrust bearing and the odd clink when changing gear etc. most modern more expensive cars use DMF's to stop all the noises, but the Citigo/Up/Mii doesn't so you will get noises.

You're going to hear the thrust bearing

Don't think I've ever had a manual car where I couldn't hear the thrust bearing at idle after a few hundred miles. If you post up a less generalised location, I'm sure a member with more experience of these cars could meet up with you and have a listen / compare it to theirs.

Edited by Chris GB

What you must remember is that the Citigo is built to a cost. The gearbox is undampened, no NVH, a very simple system. You're going to hear the thrust bearing and the odd clink when changing gear etc. most modern more expensive cars use DMF's to stop all the noises, but the Citigo/Up/Mii doesn't so you will get noises.

For my two-pennuth I love all the noises. Makes me think I'm in a little rally car :)

• Like 2

i live in evesham in worcestershire -to be honest i have only seen one other citigo in this area .anyone like to hear my noise ill meet up. with regards to the brake rub i only hear it on that low speed braking between 5mph to stopping starts off like a rubbing sound but on the first set of discs and pads it deterioated to a grind by the time it had got to 2100 miles ,first noticed at 1800 miles -the garage said it was a stone between pad and disc that was the cause ,they took the pads out and sanded them down but when it ccontinued and got worse i contacted customer services at skoda who arranged for a diffferent dealer to inspect -they said the discs and pads needed changing under warranty ,Ive now done another 1800 miles on the new pads and the noise has restarted .what i cant confirm is whether the second dealer sent an invoice to Skoda so it worries me they may have just removed the pads and resanded them. never had rubbingon other makes of cars so is it a skoda thing

steering seems lighter since the recall was done yesterday