Wing mirrors

Sometimes when I look in the wing mirrors I see what looks like patches of blue film stuck on them. Same shape as the mirrors, just a few millimetres smaller all around. And then the "patches" disappear again. Is this something to do with the fact I have heated mirrors?

Isn't the auto-dimm only on the drivers side? I thought about the auto-dimm but indianinorge said "mirrors"

It is the auto dimming mirrors. When the rear view mirror detects headlights behind you it makes this film get darker to reduce glare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that could be it. Will check if there are lights behind me when I next notice the film.

Works on all 3 of mine. Would be kind of dumb for it to be driver side only as you'd still get dazzled from the passenger one!

cheers. The Luxembourg brochure specifically says only internal rearview mirror and driverside external mirror are auto-dimming. I also thought it's pointless. I didn't test-drive during the night, so it's nice to hear that that the brochure is wrong. I doubt that they will produce different external mirror for the UK and Luxembourg.

Does seem odd for it to say that. Especially when you think LHD and RHD versions of the car would need left and right drivers side mirrors!

We will see how odd it is, when I get it and the passengerside mirror doesn't dim :D

But since I don't have the auto-dipping function on it I'll have it constantly pointed towards my rear alloy, so won't be glared at all ;)

• Like 1

Replacement mirror glass for VW Bora is blue-tinted for heated mirrors (I know because I've just had to replace one on my son's car) and you're more likely to notice a blue tint during daylight when the heater could be working, rather than in the dark when you've got someone's headlights shining in them. Then again, it could be a bit of both!

Btw, a quick way to test your auto dimming mirrors:

Cover the light sensor behind the rearview mirror with your hand and point a light source towards the mirror with your other hand (if the interior lights aren't bright enough to activate the function).

... or drive around in the dark :)

Mine seem to activate at reasonably low light levels from behind, and I have Sunset Glass. It isn't an issue, they seem more sensitive than the auto dimming wing mirrors on my MkII L&K were. These are much better!