Quick ice hockey jacking puck question

Hi all,

I've bought a deep U shaped puck for trolley jacking.

It is the same length of both sides so it touches both sides of the jacking area (doesn't touch the sill). I was led to believe it can only touch the inside to avoid damage.

Is this correct? If so I'll have to trim a bit off one of the puck lengths to make it into a J shape.

Cheers, Stuart.

Edited by Stu vRS

As long as the seam fits inside it you are fine , a normal trolley jack will bend /split the seem if lifted directly on that

So it doesn't matter if it touches the outside of the seam? Is that area strong enough as it would effectively seem you are putting half the load through it?

Edited by Stu vRS

So it doesn't matter if it touches the outside of the seam? Is that area strong enough as it would effectively seem you are putting half the load through it?

you could widen the groove a little, but it should be fine as long as the load isn't on the seam 

The jack supplied with the car takes all of the weight on the underbody immediately behind the sill. Try jacking the car up with it then have a look for yourself.

Edited by DGW

The jack supplied with the car takes all of the weight on the underbody immediately behind the sill. Try jacking the car up with it then have a look for yourself.

This is correct, hence my concern.

Stu, I've used a hockey puck with a groove in it for the last 2 years and done no damage to the sills.  It just spreads the load either side of the sill seam (but mainly on the inside as Denis said).  You need the groove deep enough to clear it but that's all.  The rubber moulds itself a bit when compressed.  When I ordered my puck, I had to hacksaw the groove myself, so can't really say if yours is ok.

Edited by Rizmod
  • Like 1

Stu, I've used the hockey puck with a groove in it for the last 2 years and done no damage to the sills. It just spreads the load either side of the sill seam (but mainly on the inside as Denis said). You need the groove deep enough to clear it but that's all. The rubber moulds itself a bit when compressed.

Perfect, thank you. It is well deep enough to clear the sill, it's 2 hockey pucks together.

Cheers all.