Best family estate car up to £8k

Jigger72

Ah... Didn't read the size bit! I bought mine just cause it looks fab! I also do road cycling and it's kinda nice to be able to put the bike in whole rather than take the wheels off...,,,

That said, I had an Octavia VRS before.. Epic boot, this is as good, if not better with the height volume.....

Ah... Didn't read the size bit! I bought mine just cause it looks fab! I also do road cycling and it's kinda nice to be able to put the bike in whole rather than take the wheels off...,,,

That said, I had an Octavia VRS before.. Epic boot, this is as good, if not better with the height volume.....

Is that bike in whole with the back seats flat? It must be.

That's pretty much my test on boot space. If I can get the boy's 24" wheel Hotrock in the boot without folding the seats, that's good enough for me

Flame suit on...

If you want something roomy that drives well you can't beat a Mondeo for that sort of money IMO. Some great spec ones out there for 8k :)

The Mazda 6 drives just as well but the dpf as mentioned could be problematic. Personally, I also don't like the limited rear three quarter visibility when parking and thought the rear was rather claustrophobic. Alfa 159 owned by a work collegue destroyed itself whilst overtaking on the motorway just before Christmas - this appears to be not exactly uncommon unfortunately. Having said that it was the nicest looking car in the car park and ne I really took an interest in - theres definitely something about them. The older (built in japan) Accord estate is a big old wagon - loads of space in the boot and probably about as reliable as you can find if you get one that's been looked after. Maybe not being a looker from the rear counts against it? Of you want something that leans towards boring but does everything well in a solid package then I also quite like the Passat... Get the 1.9pd for ultimate robustness. :)

• Like 1

Yes with the seat down.. Off course!

Anyway, my sell wasn't on the size bit, more the fact it drives so well! It doesn't drive like an estate.. It's really tight, has 300lb as standard and loads of hi spec features... A lot of car for the money!

...... And it's Not a common site on the road!

Not even the 9-5?

Depends what your definition of entertaining/interesting drive and 'not boring' is. Only an extended test drive will tell you.

I've driven quite a few 9-3 and 9-5s and neither does that well dynamically IMO. The 9-5 Aero does wake you up with torque steer and alarming understeer at times ;) Very good relaxing and fast cruiser with the right engine.

But it's horses for courses. Try one and see :)

Thanks everyone, loving the suggestions so far, but what about a Volvo V50 D5 SE? Looks pretty good to me:

mediaidc892942d14e6ca7bd948bb99740c_zps6

mediaid1986e9cc4886057e57f61f7ea601_zps2

mediaid05601c11a890d7e9bc3229720ee9_zps2

Out of a BMW 320d (common as muck, but acknowledged to be best in class) and the V50 D5, which one would it be? I quite like the idea of something different and can't find any tragic problems with either. The beemer would have better road tax, but the Volvo is, well, left field :D

• Like 1

Just to throw in my 2 pence worth.

I purchased a 330d, it was a heap of money cheaper than a 320d, economy is around 30mpg average but when you plant your foot I can guarantee you will not be bored, it is a flying machine with all the practicality of the estate. 230 bhp and heaps of torque, no brainer imo.

Not sure about Volvo, never had one or wanted one.

Just to throw in my 2 pence worth.

I purchased a 330d, it was a heap of money cheaper than a 320d, economy is around 30mpg average but when you plant your foot I can guarantee you will not be bored, it is a flying machine with all the practicality of the estate. 230 bhp and heaps of torque, no brainer imo.

Not sure about Volvo, never had one or wanted one.

Why was a 330d cheaper than a 320d?

As for never wanting a Volvo, nor did I until I started this research ;)

Why was a 330d cheaper than a 320d?

As for never wanting a Volvo, nor did I until I started this research ;)

I bought an 06 330d, it was £5750, one owner full dealer service history and 90k miles.  The 320d same year and similar mileage and history was a grand more.

Maybe I should take a look at a Volvo car, Volvo trucks are good this I know.

320d's can be stronger in the 2nd hand market. Cheaper to tax and more economical. 4pot motor seen as probably more reliable and less to go wrong (whether perceived or not).

Guest BigJase88

320d is probably more expensive as its more sought after

Everyone is on a penny pinching mission and mpg sells.

Although your 330d was rediculously cheap ( lets face it you got a bargain )

My old boy has a volvo d50 v70

Value of volvo's drop like stones but then again its all relative. You'll get a decent deal to begin with. Just know when you come to sell it, it will be worth 2 rows of sheep shi7e and a deed dug!

Hello,

I had a V50 and I really liked it.

However, I cannot recommend it - it was troublesome and the volvo independent garage I used said V50's were often problematic.

The boot was also disappointing.

It did look good on the driveway though!

Just a thought...

You could lease and have a brand new car for three years for that money... No hassle of dealing with things going wrong either!

Cheers

An £8K budget would also get you into a 6/7/8 year old A6 Avant, BMW 5 series touring or Mercedes E class estate if class and load space are more of an issue.

was looking at a volvo when i was after swapping my fabia for an estate and also an accord estate. The one i went for was this.....................20150126_151952_1.jpg i just couldnt leave skoda.

• Like 1

I test drove the 9-3 & the V50, I enjoyed the drive of the 9-3 more but both were let down by their lack of boot space.

Personally, I would look to the Octavia or Mondeo.  The Octavia will be a firmer/sharper drive but IMO the mondeo is the better all-rounder

Having said that, I can't help but think of a 1.8 Superb combi 4x4 with some choice mods on to make it a quick cruiser