advice please fellow rapid owners :)

my 2013/14 rapid (63) is coming up to its 2nd service, bearing in mind the cars just over 1 year old, do i have to take the car to skoda? as i cannot afford to pay miles over £200 for a service,

can i take it anywhere just for a general service?

surely it doesnt need a full 2nd service at 1 year old?

thankyou

EU Block Exemption regulations state that you can have the car serviced at any VAT registered, qualified garage as long as they use OE quality parts and service the car in line with the manufacturer's service schedule and requirements. If all this is done, it won't affect your warranty.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

How many miles have you done? I've got a 2013 (13) that had its service in may last year but the trip computer says I have 350ish more days till next service is due. I was thinking of getting it done in may anyway, I don't like the idea of not looking after my cars (in fact I probably go over the top with it!) Our car has nearly 23k on it now

Im at 18,500 and the cars 1 year 5 days old haha :P

Blimey! That's some decent mileage. Are you a cabby, rep or do a massive daily commute?

We're you originally on variable servicing?

26miles each way to work on a minimum wage job so needed a car that would be realiable. Just struggle to service it and extra things for it.

Whats variable servicing?

There are two servicing schedules for the car (this should have been explained to you when you bought it, also in the manual and service history book).

Fixed servicing (1yr/10,000 miles) and variable (up to 18,000miles, service interval governed by engine sensors).

If you are driving 50+ miles a day and mostly doing motorway driving, you should be on variable, not fixed servicing. Will cut your servicing bill down as well if money is tight. However, turbo lifespan will always be helped by more regular and frequent oil changes with decent oil.

• Like 2

Mine is a 13 plate TDI had it 2 years (in this coming May 2015 (as registered)) has a grand total of 4 700 miles on clock.  On variable servicing (long life).   I was told by my skoda dealer don't bother getting it serviced until the car asks for one, so as yet it has not been serviced.  I did ask when I paid for the car about where it needs to be serviced (purchased from Motorpoin with 10 miles on clock) I was told ANY vat reg garage can service the car as long as they use Genuine Skoda parts.  I asked at my local garage and they said when they service warranty cars they get a service pack from Skoda (or Ford or Merc etc) to do the work with, I guess this applies to any vat reg garage work.  However any warranty work must be carried out by a Skoda dealer.

Edited by MarkRawlinson52

Right okay so if i got the cars first service done at 11,000 miles i should be okay till about 29,000miles? Giving me time to save the money up,

Also i think the cars trying to prove me wrong now because its coming up on the dash "inspection now!"

• Like 1

On a further note the warrnty is not affected if the car is serviced or not, however if it has been serviced and genuine Skoda parts are not used then the warranty may be invalid.

Correct - EU Block Exemption regulations state that you can have the car serviced at any VAT registered, qualified garage as long as they use OE quality parts and service the car in line with the manufacturer's service schedule and requirements. If all this is done, it won't affect your warranty.

Right okay so if i got the cars first service done at 11,000 miles i should be okay till about 29,000miles? Giving me time to save the money up,

Also i think the cars trying to prove me wrong now because its coming up on the dash "inspection now!"

If you are on the 10k service schedule and they didn't put long life oil in at the last service, you will need to have it serviced again on the 10K cycle. However, when you fro go in for that next service, make sure they put in Long Life oil and get them to reset the service counter to the variable schedule going forward.

Check if the car has option QI6 - this would indicate that it was originally on variable service.  If the dealer did not reset the counter at the 11000 service, that would account for the "inspection now" warning at 18000 (being the default variable interval)

it should not be saying "Inspection now" at 7000 since the last service.

Note: options are on the inside cover of the handbook or on a sticker near the spare wheel well.

If the car is a petrol and had long life oil (VW 504.00) at 11000 you are right it could go to 29000, if not (VW 502.00) then 21000.

Alternatively diesel oils meet specs VW506 or 507 (longlife), 505 (fixed)

Edited by camelspyyder

Sorry to cut in, but this is of interest as I will soon take delivery of a rapid with the 1.2 tsi engine.

The car is a pre-reg/demo - des that mean the service schedule will be governed by the type of oil specced at the original order?

I can ask the garage but it'd be nice to go in with some background.

Cheers

As you are buying a second-hand car, the initial service schedule has already been defined on the production line - although most are set up for QI6 (Variable servicing) - just have a look when you pick it up (will be shown on the sticker on the inside page of the manual).

In either case, if it's an ex-demo car it won't have done 10,000 miles yet - how old is it?

Thanks Chris, I'll check the handbook.

It's 6 months old and it does have less than 10k

In which case, my advice would be to have it serviced at the 1 year/10,000 mile mark regardless (as you simply won't know how well it was driven & maintained before you got it) and then make your own decision at that point whether to have the car on variable or annual servicing.

As always, regular oil changes will maximise the lifespan of both your engine and in particular your turbo, so either way the 10k service is probably the better option (even if your driving style and mileage is appropriate for variable) if you can afford it.