Castle Combe Action Day 25/4/15 - Track Time + Show

devonutopia

I was in that smoke machine with Joe, we slowed towards the end of the session as there was a noise from the front left wheel, we did the final three laps and then into the paddock to see what was wrong.

All five wheel bolts were loose, two turns on each with the socket  :sweat:    we were lucky the wheel did not come off.

I too prefer the hunt rather than being hunted. It's a bit offputting having another car right up behind you! It was a good little fight with Jabo! I think you were a bit better/ more consistent in the corners but I could make up for that on the main straight. Even with James as ballast!

Yes my wheel bolts worked loose. Two turns is a bit of an exaggeration! It was more like 180 degrees.

Before anyone jumps on my neck, yes I did check them all before going on track...

• Like 1

I was in that smoke machine with Joe, we slowed towards the end of the session as there was a noise from the front left wheel, we did the final three laps and then into the paddock to see what was wrong.

All five wheel bolts were loose, two turns on each with the socket  :sweat:    we were lucky the wheel did not come off.

I too prefer the hunt rather than being hunted. It's a bit offputting having another car right up behind you! It was a good little fight with Jabo! I think you were a bit better/ more consistent in the corners but I could make up for that on the main straight. Even with James as ballast!

Yes my wheel bolts worked loose. Two turns is a bit of an exaggeration! It was more like 180 degrees.

Before anyone jump on my neck, yes I did check them all before going on track...

It was very close between the three of us, I thought there was virtually nothing in it, that's why I let you both past half way through to see if you could go any quicker :)

and you were not the only ones with wheel nut issues , Charlie had them come loose too :)

• Like 1

Before anyone jump on my neck, yes I did check them all before going on track...

As a rule of thumb on track days if someone catches you they are faster. So move over and let them pass and then get on with your own fun. As you say much better to do the hunting. What I love about the Brisky sessions is the track day etiquette that is adhered to. Roll on Rockingham !
  • Like 3

In fairness it wasn't smoking that much at all and it is clearly visible on the vid.

Out of interest ( I forgot to ask at the venue) what are you packing under the bonnet Joe?

As for consistency, when red mist descended and we were both pushing like mad, we both managed to brake a "tad" too late almost missing one of the chicanes and once testing the rumble strips at the Quarry - both my glutenous muscles are still aching from clenching :D.

If you lose the ballast, erm James, the next time I will stand no chance of catching up to you! I need to stop evening comfort eating now :D

• Like 1

Yes agree wholeheartedly, with Pete. The Brisky sessions were far more civilised and less dangerous to drive and enjoy yourself. I had a load of fun seeing what I could do on track and generally getting the feel for driving it. I didn't care where I came as long as I didn't  break my car, or anybody else's, and was a good smokescreen around the course. :D

And yes Fabianski47vrs that was my first proper trip around the track and looking forward to doing it again very soon!

• Like 4

So have all you lot been before to track days?

So who else was a newbie on the day?

That was my fifth one and first time at CC. I must say I do love CC with Briskie exclusive session, a sheer pleasure of fast driving, safe, well mannered, great fun!

CC is a very technical track but you still need the oomph on those massive straights. That's why Bedford is much kinder to me as id does not rely on power but grip and handling. Previously, before RARB install,  I had grip (Federal RS-Rs) but no handling. Roll on HowFast? I say!

In fairness it wasn't smoking that much at all and it is clearly visible on the vid.

Out of interest ( I forgot to ask at the venue) what are you packing under the bonnet Joe?

As for consistency, when red mist descended and we were both pushing like mad, we both managed to brake a "tad" too late almost missing one of the chicanes and once testing the rumble strips at the Quarry - both my glutenous muscles are still aching from clenching :D.

If you lose the ballast, erm James, the next time I will stand no chance of catching up to you! I need to stop evening comfort eating now :D

It smokes a bit more than I'm happy with at the moment. It did 238hp on the rollers in February but the fuel has been upped since (the source of the smokiness no doubt).

I wasn't far off having to use the escape road coming into the chicane one time! I'll have to dig out my video.

• Like 3

And this is how Pro's do it. Start watching from circa 7th minute as before a longish rolling start and safety car but no reason for it visible.

It's almost like me chasing Joe ;):D

Edited by Jabozuma

As a rule of thumb on track days if someone catches you they are faster. So move over and let them pass and then get on with your own fun. As you say much better to do the hunting. What I love about the Brisky sessions is the track day etiquette that is adhered to. Roll on Rockingham !

That is why Dave let me past and I let Joe past only to tail gate him for the rest of the session:)

It is however not so straight forward with catching up and therefore being faster. Because of other members on track one finds a need to slow down to avoid overtaking through turns and thus falling into clutches of cars behind which otherwise would have their work cut out for them trying to catch up.

That is is why it is so vitally important to have cooperation from both sides and let yourself being overtaken on straights without disrupting the running of the potentially faster cars which would otherwise have to slow down a lot.

Briskodians are brilliant i this respect I must admit. On general public track days most drivers treat it at World Championship Deciding race and will not move over for no love nor money. It especially applies to owners of rather powerful cars who have no clue, power away on straights but cannot brake late and ar not able to carry speed through corners - mighty frustraiting. I tend to back off for a while to have a clear track in front or simply go back to the pits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...