Joyous Radio experience

Hi Guys

I own a superb that doesn't have a Sat nav system on it, so i was considering to buy the usual RNS 510, but being an outdated device and very expensive I started looking into alternatives, i found this radio on ebay for examplehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-4-2-2-System-Car-DVD-player-GPS-1080P-For-VW-SKODA-OCTAVIA-SUPERB-GOLF-/261588376062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce7e1d9fe and i was wondering what kind of experiences you guys have? I know this looks to be true and probably its not what it looks like, but if you guys have good or bad experiences with other models i would be more then happy to hear your story.

Thanks a lot guys

Pedro

Edited by Duchovny

If my Columbus ever dies this will be top of my list of replacements by the looks of it. I particularly like the option to run Torque on the head unit talking to a bluetooth OBD dongle. A capacitative touch screen is a nice upgrade from the resistive one on the Columbus too. Not clear whether you can preload maps for navigation without an internet connection though - again there's probably an Android app that'll do the job nicely.

If my Columbus ever dies this will be top of my list of replacements by the looks of it. I particularly like the option to run Torque on the head unit talking to a bluetooth OBD dongle. A capacitative touch screen is a nice upgrade from the resistive one on the Columbus too. Not clear whether you can preload maps for navigation without an internet connection though - again there's probably an Android app that'll do the job nicely.

Being on a android system i just assume you can, this radio really looks good, but we all know how it goes when chinese stuff look too good.

I have replaced my Bolero unit with one of those. But I went with non button version, so it does not have any physical buttons and yes you can install any Navigation app that you want.

The Unit does provide good amount of info even without OBD dongle.

I have a video of it just need to upload to youtube.

I have replaced my Bolero unit with one of those. But I went with non button version, so it does not have any physical buttons and yes you can install any Navigation app that you want.

Can you please tell me the exact model? Are you happy? Any downsides so far? also please share the video once is uploaded :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did you have a chance to upload the video yet? Can you tell me model and where you bought it?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys been busy will put video this week.

I bought mine from AvinUSA but it came from HK anyway. The only reason why I bought from them is that they were doing a good deal at the time.

More or less they are all the same.
When choosing unit research what platform(cpu, mcu) and android version it is running. Some of the units claim that they are running higher Android version where in fact they are not.

The best unit are the ones that are most widely spread and have good community support.
Majority units come with 1 year warranty but unless you bought it in EU(more expensive) it will cost a good amount of money to ship it back to HK.

Here are pros:
1. It's Android which means you can mod it a lot to suit you

2. GPS locks very fast and well and I did not have to route antenna out it's sitting on the unit. 

3. CAN works surprisingly well. All wheel controls, parking sensors, aircon are there and working. Also the unit showing Fuel, speed, RPM and some other things without additional obd2 unit

4. Has built in multiple USB ports and Bluetooth.

5. Supports mirror link

6. Better audio quality compared to original unit(not sure how that is possible)  Also it gives you more audio control(frequencies, loudness)

7. Has built in outputs for external AMP

8. Has built in Video in that can be used for rear parking or for dash cam. The unit can be used as DVR for dash cam and record constantly

The cons:

1.  It's Android which means you can mod and brick it :)

2. The unit comes with useless Fakra adapter. Had to buy a new one to get a decent Radio reception

3. With all the cables and adapters it is pretty tight fit

4. The MFD does not show the radio station name. Only the frequency

5. ChinEnglish. Spelling errors or descriptions that do not make sense. These can be fixed by modding

6. My unit has reflections which makes it hard to see when the sun is shining at it. Not that we have many sunny days in Ireland but it is still annoying :)

7. To fit the unit into FL Superb I need to buy radio trim(30 Euro)

8. Start time. If the unit is in standby it starts in seconds but if it is fully off it takes 30-60 seconds depending how much stuff you have installed. It is possible to configure it not to shutdown but there were reports that it drains batteries. By default mine shutdowns after 2 hours if not used.

9. The integrated microphone is not the best and it makes it worse for right hand drive cars as it is further away from the driver.

So here you go that's it for now.

Edited by Nos

50x50w is the reason they sound better than the originals,

Did you get banged for import tax assuming you ordered it offshore?

Yes, I got taxed as they used DHL to ship it. Shipping was free and only took 4 days.

• 2 weeks later...