citigo brakes and service departments

hill4332

re my previos brake grind

bought the car in June 2014 and at 1500 miles was told the brake noise i was getting was due to a stone between pad and disc, The pads were sanded down but less than 500 miles further on I had it in again as the grind was still there.Skoda UK sent me to another dealer for a second opinion-they said the discs were warped so replaced under warranty.A further 1800 miles and they grind again. The two previous dealers say -cant hear it.DSo olast Saturday i went to a third dealer inGloucester.The master technician discovered a lot of metal in the pads and concluded they were the problem -he said he had replaced the pads.Within 20 miles guess what -same noise-had they replaced them -they didnt give me any paperwork.

Ive e-mailed Skoda Uk but can anyone else suggest either a reason or answer and how to resolve this issue .I feel like handing the car back but how do i get my money back(on PCP).All the dealers will get me into an old style Fabia but they want a further £1000 and the payments go up to by double from 88 to 140

Daft question maybe, but does it only happen when the car has been standing for a few days? If so, it might be rust on the disks that just needs to be worn away; it will give a grinding sound whilst doing this.

• Like 1

no its all the time .assuming Blade did replace the pads on Saturday as they said(wouldnt give me anything to keep despite asking) they had then it doesnt add upbecause thats three set of pad each doing less than 1800 miles or less -in the case of the new pads less than 12 miles .What worries me is that the are claming to have replaced the pads but are they just removing and sanding down .The tekkie claimed he had put on the ramp and only got a grind when the pads met the disc ,he removed them and said he found nore metal on the pads than on a new set so he replaced them .he also mentioned something to the effect that years ago pads had a black compound on them.

I hear slight grinding from front brakes every now and then. One night in the rain and brake discs are rusted a bit. That's normal. Then I can hear it sometimes when there cannot be rust anymore due several brakings. Must be dust. Normal again. These cars haven't much sound proofing, so sounds can be heard more than in some other cars.

trouble is mine is constant whatever the weather .It has gone now over three sets of pads .I remember years ago a product called coppergrease was put on the back of the pads and shims to stop brake squeal .The noise im getting is a grind-metal on metal.The tekkie sais there was metal in the pads?

It is possible. They have challenges to find proper materials for brake pads since they found out that asbestos is bad.

Those grinding noise I told about are like metal on metal sound. Now I'm thinking, what if those tiny metal chips I found from my white paint the other day, are coming from my own brakes. They doesn't look nice when they starts to rust. I had same problem last winter. I was told they are metal from a tyre studs which some of us use here. But if it was from the brakes it would be easier to understand. Hot metal chip from the brakes would stuck on paint easily. :sweat:

Edited by Emil

I spent some time with google. Some brake pads may include metals. For example iron oxide. Cannot be good for the paint I guess.

I ended up thinking to replace my brake pads when warranty ends. EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads seems to be good alternative. "...Greenstuff which has once again pushed the performance barriers of organic friction materials".

Link: http://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/

Edit: Or non metallic "Ultimate2 brake pads", which are cheaper:

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/ultimax-brake-pads/

Edited by Emil

• 4 weeks later...

Our new Citigo's front brakes doesn't grind at all. 1.5 year old grinds sometimes. Now I wonder if they have changed brake pad supplier. Or then grinding starts when pads are used a bit more.

our citigo used to grind the on the front when it had been wet and rust formed on the surface

the rears in damp used to squeal / squeak loudly on the first few braking events as though dust built up in the drums

are you sure it is the discs on the front grinding? try gently using the handbrake with the car moving (obviously quiet road with nothing behind) as that will separate front and rear as the handbrake only works on the rear

you would be amazed how sound travels round the citigo bodyshell due to the minimal sound insulation,

only takes a few seconds to use the handbrake gently to confirm if front / rear brakes are the issue

So you might think it's coming from rear even though it's coming from front? ;)

No doubt it's front brakes. I may need another kind of brake pads for front. Less metal for me please.