steering wheel height adjustment affecting power steering sensitivity ?

chris-H

morning all,

As the title states, when the steering wheel height is adjusted low towards the knees the feed back from the power steering when driving is nice and responsive . However i'm quite tall so prefer the wheel adjusted higher up.

This is where the problems start... The steering goes extremely light and fidgety as if the power steering has gone into overdrive, feeling pretty dangerous at higher speeds.

Anybody any ideas as to wether this is an angle sensor fault, potential rack / column fault or something else ?

Thanks

I'd actually suspect a mixture of mechanics and leverages. Reasoning:-

1. As the wheel moves down, the UJ that it rotates about becomes more flexed, and absorbs more power (well, requires more effort for you to turn).
  2. As it moves up, you get better leverage on the wheel, so the effort you need to apply reduces.
  3. Conversely, as the wheel moves up, it requires a smaller road imperfection to cause a kickback that you'll actually feel.

That was my line of thinking Ken, however i cant imagine it was designed to be that way out of the factory ! . I'm running the bilstein B8 set up, front end poly bushed etc and the handling is spot on until the steering wheel is raised.

Something is deffo a miss somewhere ?

no not slammed, eibach springs 20-25 mm drop. Had this set up over a year now and this has only become apparent over the last couple of months.

Its almost like the intermittent heavy power steering problems caused by the angle sensor except in reverse.

morning all,

As the title states, when the steering wheel height is adjusted low towards the knees the feed back from the power steering when driving is nice and responsive . However i'm quite tall so prefer the wheel adjusted higher up.

This is where the problems start... The steering goes extremely light and fidgety as if the power steering has gone into overdrive, feeling pretty dangerous at higher speeds.

Anybody any ideas as to wether this is an angle sensor fault, potential rack / column fault or something else ?

Thanks

There is no mechanism for the issue you describe, the angle sensor is located on the rack, not the steering column and cannot 'know' when you adjust the wheel.

Thanks

the answer is, it's actually in the mind.  perception that it's lighter.

There is nothing in the column height that can alter the weight/assistance.

However you can permantly change the power assitance level by using a full version of vagcom.

My lowly fabia 1.9tdi comfort was set to middle setting (if I remember right).

My mate set it to full assistance, and it was like 1 finger tip driving,  absolutely no effort required to turn the wheel.  Almost like the front wheels weren't on the ground.  Odd, but comical.

I've set it to least assistance now.   Still not much feel,  but it's nicer than having it any other way I think

Thanks fly , this is obviously a " mechanical " fault then. The mind cannot create the problem that is present... Unless perhaps under the influence of something that it should not be whilst in charge of a motor vehicle. Changing the vagcom values in this instance would be useless as the weight/ assistance changes with the raising or lowering of the steering wheel...?

Thanks fly , this is obviously a " mechanical " fault then. The mind cannot create the problem that is present... Unless perhaps under the influence of something that it should not be whilst in charge of a motor vehicle. Changing the vagcom values in this instance would be useless as the weight/ assistance changes with the raising or lowering of the steering wheel...?

After a bit more thought, the other possibility might be if one or more of the column bearings are worn?