Quite a lot of Octavias in Paris!

We came to Paris for the weekend and I was surprised to see Octavias (specially mark III) almost every where. No matter where you look you will find an Octavia passing by. Ok, most of them are cabs ;-( but still I saw families driving it too.

Surprisingly, their S model has no alloys and looks quite basic with thin tyres.

Still, its good to see how the brand is growing.

Why would´nt we buy Octavias in Paris as well?

Still, this is mostly popular for taxi drivers.

Skoda is still quite generally perceived as an outdated eastern brand, unless you are interested in cars.

Then, you have those who know.

Edited by JPH0091

Why would´nt we buy Octavias in Paris as well?

Still, this is mostly popular for taxi drivers.

Skoda is still quite generally perceived as an outdated eastern brand, unless you are interested in cars.

Then, you have those who know.

Octavia's Skoda's are Europe wide...the perceived view is that the French just drive Renault's, Citroen's and Peugeot's...they do not of course

No matter what country, a taxi driver will always buy a reliable, cheap to service car that is priced well against the alternatives.

One reason why private buyers should not buy an Octavia and one reason why the private buyers should buy an Octavia.

Surely the words ‘Parisian’ and ‘driving’ should not be used together?

(yes I drive in Paris almost weekly)

Surely the words ‘Parisian’ and ‘driving’ should not be used together?

(yes I drive in Paris almost weekly)

I would love to drive in France, may be not in Paris. How difficult is it to drivre in France?

Especially if you do not go in Paris downtown, I don't see a difficulty. French drivers are far cooler than they used to be. You.ll find many roundabouts: to be taken on the right way might require some care at the beginning.

On highways, don't expect quicker cars on the left lane to let you overtake. You need to anticipate and make sure the left lane is free.

• Like 1

I would love to drive in France, may be not in Paris. How difficult is it to drivre in France?

It;s not difficult, just different, a few things to remember:

They indicate left when approaching a roundabout (don’t forget they go the ‘wrong’ way round it) with their left hand indicator on, even if going straight on.

they also use the r/h lane to turn left on a roundabout!

They think nothing of being in the outside lane approaching a roundabout only to cut across the front of you to take the 1st exit!

Where a autoroute splits into two directions EXPECT them to cut across the solid white line and hatched areas 40’ away from the split, especially in rush hour.

The scooter and motorbikes around Paris have a death wish (yes ALL of them) much worse than London.

I’m sure there are lots of other things I have forgot but that will do for starters.

BTW even the French hate Parisians! 

There is at least one major positive point: we drive on the right side of the road, not on the wrong one.

At least according to a Finnish expression*, the French drive on which ever side of the road they please.

(*Parallel parking your car facing the wrong way is referred to as French parking.)

Edited by kallekilponen

I love driving in France, far more relaxing than driving in the UK. And no I'm not joking!

When based in Gib, I would drive from there via Spain and France to Euro Tunnel at least four times a year and the bit I hated the most? The journey from Dover all the way back to Glasgow.

If you are serious about driving on the Continent, there are loads of French and Spanish websites to help you. Once you come to the logic of their particular motorway systems and driving styles, you will find it is far easier than the UK; when approaching slip roads, motorways reduce to two lanes and the oncoming slip road becomes the third Lane, improving traffic flow; lorries are not allowed to overtake between certain hours, the white lines at the side of the motorway, broken at regular intervals to indicate how far away you should be from the vehicle in front, the quality of their rest stops, fresh food, reasonably priced and good quality.

In two and a half years of driving round Spain (approximately 30000 miles) I can only recall being in two motorway jams.

As soon as I drove off the Euro Tunnel in the UK, M20 gridlock.

Fin

At least according to a Finnish expression*, the French drive on which ever side of the road they please.

(*Parallel parking your car facing the wrong way is referred to as French parking.)

Parking on the left side is not allowed any more, except on one way streets. But it used to be, long time ago...

I love driving in France, far more relaxing than driving in the UK. And no I'm not joking!

When based in Gib, I would drive from there via Spain and France to Euro Tunnel at least four times a year and the bit I hated the most? The journey from Dover all the way back to Glasgow.

If you are serious about driving on the Continent, there are loads of French and Spanish websites to help you. Once you come to the logic of their particular motorway systems and driving styles, you will find it is far easier than the UK; when approaching slip roads, motorways reduce to two lanes and the oncoming slip road becomes the third Lane, improving traffic flow; lorries are not allowed to overtake between certain hours, the white lines at the side of the motorway, broken at regular intervals to indicate how far away you should be from the vehicle in front, the quality of their rest stops, fresh food, reasonably priced and good quality.

In two and a half years of driving round Spain (approximately 30000 miles) I can only recall being in two motorway jams.

As soon as I drove off the Euro Tunnel in the UK, M20 gridlock.

Fin

Cheers fella, thats really helpful..

Saurabhdutt, this is just an example of one of the websites I used when travelling around Spain and France in 2013;

about-france.com/mobi/travel-mobile.htm

I found a similar one for Spain.

In the next few years my wife and I intend to visit WWI sites in northern France/Belgium, visiting family in Austria before chilling in Amsterdam for a long weekend. Never driven in three of those countries before, but that's half the fun. We can't wait.

Just ensure you read up in the regs for what to carry in your car. And enjoy.

Fin

Saurabhdutt, this is just an example of one of the websites I used when travelling around Spain and France in 2013;

about-france.com/mobi/travel-mobile.htm

I found a similar one for Spain.

In the next few years my wife and I intend to visit WWI sites in northern France/Belgium, visiting family in Austria before chilling in Amsterdam for a long weekend. Never driven in three of those countries before, but that's half the fun. We can't wait.

Just ensure you read up in the regs for what to carry in your car. And enjoy.

Fin

Thanks mate, you are a star.

Which place would you recommend in France to drive for the first time. I was thinking of Normandy may be.

I don't understand why am I so nervous as I come from India and have driven there for 10 years. They say if you have driven in India then you can drive any where in the world. ;-)

I have driven in Paris a few times, it's not very relaxing but I don't think it's anything worse than other big cities. That said we did it with our old car that had it's fair share of scratches so wasn't too bothered. While we like to mock the French for their driving style (and the Belgians) I have to admit that in their own country they follow the rules much better than in ours. Driving the E25 into France was horrible until a few years ago. Now that they have speed cameras everywhere it's gotten much better. Nowadays they keep their bad driving habits for Luxembourg :D
But hey as with the road rage, it's always the others who drive horribly and oneself does it best...

From the clips of dash cams you find on the net, I am much more worried driving anywhere in Russia or Asia in general.

Amsterdam's fine, I drove there only last year. Just be very very careful about the cyclists. They are in the vast majority and enjoy right of way pretty much anywhere, maybe not legally but you wouldn't want one as a bonnet decoration. but since there are much more than around here you automatically pay better attention.