Swing Stereo & Poor sound quality

paulbe

Hi

I just bought a 2010 Superb and I am VERY dissapointed with the sound quality of the stereo. It has a Swing head unit, I also thought it had bluetooth because it was an available option when I selected media but it looks like the module is not fitted.

I find the sound is lacking base and is quite tinny & harsh sounding.

I have some Kicker component speakers which I will probably fit in the front. I think the system really needs a sub. I need to keep my full boot so I will need either a slim underseat sub or a small sub which will fit in the under the spare wheel.

What is the easiest way to improve sound?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Although I have Columbus unit fitted as we have an Elegance model, I'd imagine the speakers the same across all models (I'll stand to be corrected on this) and I find the sound from my unit to be really good. But I've had courtesy cars with the Swing unit fitted and I cant say it sounded tinny or harsh. I presume you've set both the bass and treble flat? Personally I cant stand too much bass and tend to set it down from flat (but I am an old f@rt!) so mid range is far more important to me.

Hi

yes I have changed all the settings and I find the sound lacking. I am not saying I want huge bass, but I do like to feel the music when I turn it up!

I was just down in halfords and I was speaking to a good guy there, he basically said they have nothing that would suit and my best bet would be to initially upgrade the speakers and increase their diameter if possible. Then also look at the headunit.

Thanks

P

Been covered a few times. I'd recommend an active subwoofer in the spare wheel. Have a read through this thread, and the links to other threads within it: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?/topic/340408-Adding-an-amplifier-to-improve-Columbus-sound-quality

Thanks. I assume the woofer would fill the space for the spare wheel. I want to carry a spare wheel so this isnt ideal. I was also looking at some under seat woofers.

Does anyone know how can I wire a sub from the headunit, does the Swing has an output for a sub?

Read the thread mate: the pioneer sub fits inside the spare wheel.

The jack and tools go in a heavy duty nylon bag (provided), which you can fit in one of the side storage cubbies.

You don't necessarily need a sub-out: the pioneer just taps into one of the speaker cables. It's tricky to fit yourself as a lot of trim needs to be removed - £100 seems to be the going rate to fit it.

Edited by JakeBlade

Yes, the speakers aren't great, and the head units (including the Columbus) have very low amplification.

But if you take some of the lower bass load off the woofer speakers, then you can get a decent overall sound.

It depends on how much you want to spend, I guess. Halfords won't have recommended the spare wheel sub, as they don't stock it. Not many car audio places do.

Get the sub first, get used to it (and get the levels right).   Then think about if its worth changing the speakers.   

I was considering changing the speakers as well, but the sub makes such a diff that I gave up on that idea.

I listen to a variety of music from orchestral to rap and it all sounds immensely better with more powerful bass.   The door speakers can then handle the mid an HF much more effectively.

The Pioneer 610 sub is now back to 155+postage on Ebay.

n

Get the sub first, get used to it (and get the levels right).   Then think about if its worth changing the speakers.   

I was considering changing the speakers as well, but the sub makes such a diff that I gave up on that idea.

I listen to a variety of music from orchestral to rap and it all sounds immensely better with more powerful bass.   The door speakers can then handle the mid an HF much more effectively.

The Pioneer 610 sub is now back to 155+postage on Ebay.

n

Where are you seeing it for £155+P&P? The best I can see on ebay is £165 and is in Italy.

I have also found it in Germany for €170+P&P which works out at £125

I ordered the Pioneer sub....now I just have to find someone to fit it....

Ring up your local skoda dealer and ask them who they use to retrofit tow bars with electrics. It helps if the person fitting it knows their way around the car.

• Like 1

Ring up your local skoda dealer and ask them who they use to retrofit tow bars with electrics. It helps if the person fitting it knows their way around the car.

Excellent idea, I did find one local auto electrician, but he didnt inspire confidence.

Been covered a few times. I'd recommend an active subwoofer in the spare wheel. Have a read through this thread, and the links to other threads within it: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?/topic/340408-Adding-an-amplifier-to-improve-Columbus-sound-quality

Hi Jake. Did you have to buy a connection to connect the sub to your head unit? I took out the swing stereo and there is nothing to connect it to.

Hi Jake. Did you have to buy a connection to connect the sub to your head unit? I took out the swing stereo and there is nothing to connect it to.

No, just splice into one of the speaker cables. Search for the subwoofer on YouTube, and you'll see what I mean.

No, just splice into one of the speaker cables. Search for the subwoofer on YouTube, and you'll see what I mean.

Cool. Did you splice yours into left and right or just one of the speaker cables.

The fitter did it for me - said he spliced in just behind the head unit as that was easiest. From memory I think you just splice it into one channel, which I also vaguely remember from the guy on YouTube fitting it into his BMW.

The problem with splicing into a single channel is unequal sound. If you listen to a track and the bass part moves between the left and right channel, then one minute you'll have loads of bass, then as the bass moves to the other channel the bass will all but disappear.

The problem with splicing into a single channel is unequal sound. If you listen to a track and the bass part moves between the left and right channel, then one minute you'll have loads of bass, then as the bass moves to the other channel the bass will all but disappear.

Agreed, but in the absence of a dedicated sub-out port on the head unit, your options are pretty slim.

• 2 weeks later...