DPF / Fault light.

Hello

I have never been aware DPF regenerations happening in my 2.0 2011 Octy. Today after driving 25 miles on the motorway as I slowed down I got a flashing glow plug light. I stopped and restarted the engine and it came back with the engine management light on. The car went into limp mode.

I got the breakdown company out to look. When I turned the engine on the fan immediately started running and the burning rubber smell soon followed. I assume that this is the DPF doing a regeneration? The glow plug light had gone out but the engine management stayed on.The mechanic did a diagnostic plug in. it showed an egr fault. He cancelled this and told me to take it for a drive. The EM light stayed off and I had full power back.

Two weeks ago I put a bottle of diesel clean in the tank for he first time.

Does anyone think these things are linked?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Garnett

I've just had similar on mine. Flashing glow plug light, loss of power. Turned it off and within a minute the light was on flashing again. Drove it home slowly and put it on VCDS and got;

4891 - EGR Valve (N18)
          P0403 00 [232] - Malfunction
          MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 3
                    Mileage: 225167 km
                    Date: 2015.02.22
                    Time: 14:28:18

4892 - EGR Valve (N18)
          P0403 00 [232] - Malfunction
          MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 3
                    Mileage: 225167 km
                    Date: 2015.02.22
                    Time: 14:28:18

I've reset the faults but have not been out again in it to see if its ok. I'm hopping its not the problem that seems to be common with these EGR/ cooler units, as mine has done 139900 miles and I can't see there being any goodwill. Oh- didn't have the fan thing. DPF regeneration needs engine running.

Edited by Tinbum

Happened to me News Year’s eve on the M5 going to South Wales, flashing glow plug light came on and engine went into limp mode, Skoda assist put his computer on and said EGR valve failure, 24,600 miles on clock. Got back home in limp mode and took to dealer who replaced under warranty with only 10 days left on it!! It is a big job due to the location of the valve, Skoda assist said around £1,400 to sort! Thank goodness for the warranty.

Skoda do say in the owners manual not to use any type of fuel or oil additives.

I think the DPF is a red herring here, it sounds as though it just happened to be mid way through an active regeneration when you switched off the engine.

If the fault code points to an EGR issue then this is where you need to look. Blocked EGR valves are a relatively common issue.

got to admit both these issues concern me egr and dpf, mines a 51 thousand mile car on a 11 plate , and to be homiest there's nothing that takes my eye as a suitable petrol replacement if I was to trade in - everything seems so expensive i.e golf gti or a new or 2nd hand vrs Octavia. , so apart from putting £1500 to one side for this future issue its hard not to worry. at least once I week I regret trading in my old fabia vrs diesel.

Had an independant VAG take a quick look.

The light has stayed off for 50 miles. 25 of them at a constant 2500 rpm. They say that the DPF and EGR problem are often one and the same. If the light comes back on they reccomend using VCDS to force a DPF regeneration. Also they often clean egr valves rather than replace them.

Extreamly helpful Volksburg in Torquay.

Thanks

Garnett