Clutch cable adjustment

Skoda workshop manual recommends adjusting the cable length till clutch pedal is flush +/-3mm with brake pedal.

• Do you find this adjustment reference always correct?
  • How high/low do you adjust your clutch pedal?
  • How do you test your clutch has the best grip?

It's good thing to ask thinking questions frequently that makes me interested

For the cluch cable adjustment I think it depend on the driver and his driving habits the only thing is that the bearing wont allways toutches the desk and there are reliable distance between them and else it is refere to your comfort in drivig

For me I don't like it too low and not too hight in between because my foot is almost on pedal while driving and for more than frequently gear shifting so I'm comfortable with that

Testing the best grip is depend also on the way you drive and you must take the car for driving after adjustement and can be readjusted while your test drive . I hope my openion is right and if there is other openion I'll be glad to know

Thanks

Edited by ehabmobarak

Although I am not 100% of my opinions are correct, here they are:

• the brake pedal reference is not always correct for the entire life of the clutch disk
  • I adjust the clutch 2 cm lower when clutch disk is new, 2 cm higher when clutch disk is worn out (I estimate the life of clutch disk at 80,000 km)
  • I test the clutch grip in a subjective mode: I drive on a flat road in 4th gear with 60 km/h then I try to climb a long not-too-steep hill without speed dropping below 60 km/h using only the throttle.

Well in my case the clutch do not last too long as every day I take 27 km in going to another town to take my Co. bus and the road is single with 54 road-blocks of all kind you can imagine at the early hours of the morning and also for the return near the sunset and the road take 45 minuets . so what do you expect the clutch last and also the breaks.      :S

Those road stops look made by angry citizens, not by local authorities.

What are they trying to prevent? A tank invasion?

They are made by citizens themselves to reduce the cars speeds each time an accident happen a road stops are made. I'm not only mad I'm suffering all the way also on the other hand the authorities don't do anything to fix these roads even they link between towns they are inside roads  and does not matter.   :sweat:

in such 27 km and 54 road stops of all kinds the fuel consumption of the car is about 9.5 km/l and on a normal road without all these stops it make about 12.5 km/l

do you think that is  poor, fair, good or what??????

Edited by ehabmobarak

I stand to be corrected if my thoughts on clutch cable adjustment are wrong. But Skoda manual doesn't take into account the wear of the clutch disk. I am especially interested in better test methods for the clutch grip.

Well for me I never tried to make a test procedures for the cluch grip but I can measure it with the relation between the speed and rpm of the car while driving for example at the fifth gear the speed is 100 and the rpm is 2700 rpm also it is matter of feeling of the car performance and respond sorry that I don't have a specified method for that

Thanks

2700 rpm at 100 km/h (65 mph) on flat road is a good information.to know.

Anyone else? Please specify the final drive ratio of your gearbox, or at least engine type/year.

Ok, I've just read the thread, and never driven a Felly, but I have had cars with manual adjustment clutches.

What you both said up at posts #2 and #3 is correct IMO. Personally I always set the clutch so that it started to open high up the travel because you can change gears faster that way, but its natural rest height for a given movement until it starts opening does vary with wear.

Where I disagree is over clutch life. I live in a place where we have lots of roads with only one running lane so it's similar to #4, and I know my clutch has done at least 96_000km, and quite possibly twice that because I don't have bills other than the service log book from before I bought the car.

I guesstimated the average life span of a clutch at 80,000 km because the market is saturated with third-party manufacturers of varying quality.

• 4 years later...

Jumping on this thread,
I always adjust clutches to be as free as the can be and have as much bite as they can while still being easy to change gears.
On my new clutch this came to be around 1 cm down from the brake pedal.
On my old clutch (116.000 km) it was 2 cm above the pedal loosened it and it actually dropped down to 1cm.
Obviously this happened because the brake pedal has a negative spring and it will take up any slack in the cable by moving down.
But now I know I am giving this clutch all the life it can get.

14 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Obviously this happened because the brake pedal has a negative spring and it will take up any slack in the cable by moving down.

What brake cable?