I subscribe to that. I would like to see how ANY modern car in the same class with Felicia looks after 20 years...

• Like 1

Good aren't they. I got a new ticket a couple of weeks ago. One rear wheel bearing needed adjustment and that was it. That's my second MOT with this car and I had my old 1.3 for seven years before that with no major problems. MOT time holds no fear when you have a Felicia!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could up vote these comments.

And to the Op..That's great service your car is giving you..And you are putting it to good use.

Shame on me..I am a low mileage driver these last 4- 5 years.

Last car I put 2,000 to 3,000 on a Renault Clio 1.6 automatic ( horrible Car )

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's just passed again - no advisories and over 130,000 miles. It's relegated to 2nd car now so only done about 3,500 miles since the last test. Thought that wouldn't be doing a diesel any favours but it plods on with the occasional grumble.

That sounds a bit harsh. Surely the longevity of a diesel car is more environmentally friendly than having to buy a new petrol car every 5 years to replace one that's clapped out.

Sounds more like a policy designed to boost the car industry than protect the environment. 

• Like 1

It's been a fantastic car. I can't remember how long I've had it but it's about 8 years I think. I've had a clutch, a few suspension parts (including struts) and most of the exhaust replaced in that time but I've more than doubled the mileage and it was getting on when I bought it. Apart from that it's just service parts. It still averages over 40 mpg and barely needs its oil topping up between services. Bodywork is showing its age now but it's nearly 20 years old.

Surely the longevity of a diesel car is more environmentally friendly than having to buy a new petrol car every 5 years to replace one that's clapped out.

Assuming, of course, that:

• said diesel car is operated in a manner that it's most efficient at (Lots of short, low-load running -- or lots of idling -- are not great for a diesel.).
  • It's serviced on time and appropriately; rather than it being left until it barely hauls itself out of its own way, belching huge plumes of black smoke everywhere. (Following the "Do it when it ceases to even run badly" service plan.)
  • It keeps its emissions equipment, rather than having them stripped out because they "rob power" and "A guy in the pub told me that I can get 80MPG by removing the cat, DPF, EGR...".
  • It doesn't just get scrapped not long after its first MOT because the neglect and abuse, or lousy fuel, has killed the high-pressure pump, injectors, or something else similarly expensive. (Diesel cars don't exactly look so cheap when you take that into account. To be fair, direct-injected petrol engines are levelling the field there; lots of fine-tolerance machined parts that don't like having crud go through them...)
  • It doesn't just get replaced every 3 years regardless of how well -- or not -- it's running; simply because that's when the finance is up and clearly that means it's time to get this year's shiny new model.

Of course, this is just IMNSHO; but, I think that diesel cars are a poor fit for the way most people, including myself, actually use a car; and are producing needless emissions as a result. As a diesel enthusiast, it pains me a little to say that; but it's just the wrong tool for the job.

(But then, I would say that; clearly I'm just trying to wean people off diesel so that it can get nice and cheap, so that I can run a nice 8v92TTA... ;) )

Back onto topic! I'm getting a little nervous about the upcoming MOT of the green blob; I've got about a month or so to replace everything I think is going to fail... Mostly bushings, or other rubber bits; which is to be expected.