"DRONING NOISE" noticable around 55-65mph

Tyre noises are very noticeable and tyre choices, and then different road surfaces have different noises.

I have no Parcel shelf on a Hatch and it sounds the same as an Estate i sometimes drive,

but put the Parcel self on the hatch and road noise is less noticeable.

& then the exhaust noise does start to change as the Resonator gets older IME.

If it is a Wheel Bearing then you are going to have to find which one, because other wise people are guessing.

As a trial, go drive a bit of road, and see how it sounds,

inflate the tyres by about 5 psi and see if there is much difference.

then let the tyres back down obviously after the test. Its just to see if it is Tyre noise or you can pick up on a wheel bearing.

More often it is brakes making a bit of noise.

In the other post you were saying the brakes are not great,

so are the disc edges rusty and have you checked the pads.?

Your can is pretty low mileage but that does not mean the pads are not shot.

Actually,when you mention it,the edge of the drivers side front disc is a little rusty,I would actually say that the disc dos'nt have that full silver shine if you know what I mean,I'll post a PIC later..

The noise does get a bit louder after a few miles,and when I brake the sound does quiten...

Cheers

Assuming you are driving a right-hand drive car, have you looked to your left when you hear the droning? Are the lips moving? Are the eyes closed?

You may find that it helps if you change radio station :)

Actually,when you mention it,the edge of the drivers side front disc is a little rusty,I would actually say that the disc dos'nt have that full silver shine if you know what I mean,I'll post a PIC later..

The noise does get a bit louder after a few miles,and when I brake the sound does quiten...

Cheers

This is what the brake disc looks like...post-36138-0-31460500-1428163512_thumb.jpg

And that's after 12 miles with braking at numerous roundabouts!!

Edited by stevrs08

You had best look and see if there is any Brake Material on that pad,

is it not down to the metal?

I just replaced these Discs,  pads still had plenty of meat.

Yeah,there's about 5/6mm on the pads..but question is,is this is where the noise is coming from,it deffo quitens when braking..

Jack it up, spin the wheel, have someone apply the brakes a little, see if the Pads are releasing.

Try the Wheel for the bearing play.

Drop the car, loosen the nuts, remove the wheels and take the pads out and see how they are.

Only way you will know if not already done.

Jack it up, spin the wheel, have someone apply the brakes a little, see if the Pads are releasing.

Drop the car, loosen the nuts, remove the wheels and take the pads out and see how they are.

Cheers mate,gonna get it to the garage to be checked out..Again..

Mind you. I'm losing faith in my local dealer...

when I have had this in the past it has been the tyres

if you think it is front or back from where the noise appears to from, try swapping tyres front to rear and see if the location of the noise appears to move (if it is a bearing it will stay in the same place) or try putting the spare one each wheel in turn

also with the wheel in the air turn the wheel and carefully watch the tread, as on several of mine I have had this issue you saw a sort of wave in the tread as wheel rotated (a few tread blocks seem slightly out of line)

this is how I have found this issue before

Edited by bluecar1

Three observations:

1. Removing the wheels may not be entirely straightforward - they can get stuck due to alloy/steel corrosion.

2. Kwik-fit will carry out a free brake check if you aren't 100% confident about taking out and safely replacing the brake pads.

3. Personally I lack the experience to identify excessive bearing play - Kwik-fit might some give advice there if you ask nicely.

The wheels were removed for the 4 new tyres Post #17.

? What is the difficulty in Changing a Wheel on a Fabia,

do people not need to do this if there is a Puncture.

a vRS has a Spare & Tool Kit in the boot?

No point really going to a Tyre & Fitting Centre unless you see that they have a Qualified Technician,

especially a Fast Foot Flitter Centre.

Evening all..

So,was back at the dealer today,went out with a technician who agreed that there was a noise that seemed to quieten when braking....

Front discs and pads were replaced and guess what........the noise is still there..... :devil:  

When he was checking out the noise,

did you ask him about the issue you had with loss of Drive before,

and has that happened again?

So what was wrong with the Discs & Pads,

were the discs scored badly.?

They were to do a 'Full Condition Check', before selling a Skoda Approved Car,

so only needing replaced when a Customer Complains.

When he was checking out the noise,

did you ask him about the issue you had with loss of Drive before,

and has that happened again?

So what was wrong with the Discs & Pads,

were the discs scored badly.?

They were to do a 'Full Condition Check', before selling a Skoda Approved Car,

so only needing replaced when a Customer Complains.

The DSG has been fine since it was in and had software re-set.

Checked with SkodaUK and it didn't require the service campaign.

Well,they said that under normal circumstances the discs and pads would not have been replaced,but due to the noise they would as they wanted the `customer` to be `happy`.

I can not believe that the tech who drove the car and then drove after new discs/pads couldn't tell there was no difference,the car was handed back to me as if it was sorted...

So,tyres replaced,car quieter,but still a drone/hum,front brakes replaced still noise.

I`m told its the wrong noise for a bearing,which to be fair ,I would agree with....

Looks like I may just have to persevere with it...........

• Like 1

For a while anyway, then we will see if it is the Drivers Side Drive shaft / CV.

Still interested in this ECU Reset they did, just a reset, or an Upload of an Update on the ECU.

yet no Service Campaign is required on your DSG.

Mentioned that today and the tech said that they had re-set and made sure that it had the latest software,mind you they could be talking s*%@....

• 8 months later...

Hi all

Though a while since the last post.. I will still share my discover

I had a strange sound as well from the right hand side of the car. It was noticeable especially when I just touched the throttle but I couldn't find any loose items or worn bearings. 

Then recently I had to change the rubber gaiters on the CV joints and decided to change the CV joints as well since they wasn't to expencive. Then I found noticeable slack in the CV joint on the right hand side of the car and since I renewed it the noise seems to have disappeared :rock:

• Like 1

Funny, cos I've often noticed droning at around the 50-60 mph area tends to be wheels out of balance. Drive slower, not an issue and quicker, again relieves itself. I guess it'd show up again at 120 plus but never been an issue on U.K. roads.