Rear wiper problem

When I push the stalk forward to use my rear wiper it works but only travels 3/4 of the way across the window and stops. It then waits for approx. 4-5 seconds and continues across the screen and returns to its starting position.

It can do this for a while then continue as normal ie. a full sweep. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

Has anyone encountered this or got the same problem ?

When I push the stalk forward to use my rear wiper it works but only travels 3/4 of the way across the window and stops. It then waits for approx. 4-5 seconds and continues across the screen and returns to its starting position.

It can do this for a while then continue as normal ie. a full sweep. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

Has anyone encountered this or got the same problem ?

I've noticed my 2013 hatchback recently began doing this. I mentioned it to my supplying dealer, but typically the rear wiper worked faultlessly when it when in for another issue.

I imagine it relates to the wiper motor, but may have to wait until it fails completely.

I cant think of 1 car I've had where the rear wash wipe worked properly for the life of the car.

Either the water supply failed or the arm didnt press the blade sufficiently onto the glass, etc

They've always been rubbish. I wonder why the manufacturers:

a. fit them in the first place.

b. dont engineer them properly to deal with airflow over the car

c. run hoses through the tailgate in places where thay can fall off,leak and cause rust

You'd be better taking it off and Rain-X ing the rear screen.

• Like 2

On the Rapid does the feed for the washer jet pass through the wiper motor/gearbox?

I don't know tbh

Well, is the washer jet integrated into the pivot of the wiper arm or is it completely separate?

Not on the Spaceback, washer jet passes through the third brake light.

Would think this is a warranty job, most likely the wiper motor (faulty contacts/gearing) or control stalk.

Had the latter with the previous Octy III, although the wiper worked it was sending a fractionally delayed signal, so it moved a second or so after selection and also caused weird things with the maxidot, such as fast uncontrolled menu scrolling.

TP