Had to reject my rapid today....

I had to reject my rapid 1.2tsi se today. Had it six months from new and has been plagued with programs from leaking boot to constantly grinding front brakes and knocks from nearside rear suspension area.

Absolutely gutted that the first new car I buy turned out to be such a lemon......

I have a brand new 15plate rapid sport on loan which has one hell of a noisy gearbox! Has anyone else noticed this with the 6 speed box over the quiet 5 speed?

Lets hope vwfs, the dealer and skoda uk come to an arrangement and get me into another car.

Sorry to hear that bud. Let's hope you get sorted soon. The gearbox on my sport is fine but I do have that knocking noise from the near side front. They told me there was nothing wrong with it but it will have to go back.

Oh dear you too [emoji19]

It's not a pleasant experience rejecting a car. Mines been going on since December and still no conclusion yet. But having said that I'm walking away from the car and don't want a replacement. I expect you'll find they will be more keen to replace the car for you as I told them I don't want one.

If I can be of help in your case too just let me know [emoji106]

I must admit the Rapid Hatchback is total sh!te [emoji4]

Good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks stormchaser... I don't particularly want another but can't see any way out really! I like you, have negative equity in the region of 3.2k so kind of stuffed.

Perhaps we had the Friday cars, others may be better! I hope...

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that bud. Let's hope you get sorted soon. The gearbox on my sport is fine but I do have that knocking noise from the near side front. They told me there was nothing wrong with it but it will have to go back.

Likewise, my gearbox is OK, but I too have the knocking noise from the nearside front at cold start. Seems to go away when the car warms up. Neither the dealer or a trusted indi mechanic can find anything mechanically wrong. Weird.

The gearbox noise on the 6 speed is only when on power.... sounds like all the gears are rattling away! Strange, the 5 speed on my soon to be ex-rapid is silent.... its put me off a 105 6 speed already... shame as I love the extra power higher up in the rev range but couldn't stand the noise.

Likewise, my gearbox is OK, but I too have the knocking noise from the nearside front at cold start. Seems to go away when the car warms up. Neither the dealer or a trusted indi mechanic can find anything mechanically wrong. Weird.

I don't have any kind of knocking or noisy gearbox? Mines silent and I have the 6 speed manual Rapid Sport. Sorry to hear you've had to reject your car. :( mines been fantastic to be honest, but I can see why you'd loose faith.

• Like 3

Tdi engine in mine is a beauty. No problems elsewhere either (now I have the hatchback adjusted to get rid of the 'booming' noise). Sorry others aren't so happy :-(

2014 Black Magic Rapid 1.6Tdi Elegance

Sent from my thumbs on a rediculously small screen using Tapatalk

You don't have to pay that Neg equity once your car is officially rejected. It's down to SUK and VWFS and you'll be out the equation like me. There's nothing they can do as the law is on your side [emoji106]

Lets hope they replace mine with a brand new 2015 model. I have noticed on the loan one that you don't have to use the key to open the fuel cap! Small thing but something that annoys me on mine.

You don't have to pay that Neg equity once your car is officially rejected. It's down to SUK and VWFS and you'll be out the equation like me. There's nothing they can do as the law is on your side [emoji106]

Thanks, I may need to ask for some help over the coming weeks. Hope yours is nearly sorted now?

A loud knocking/rattling at cold start? Changes if you rev the engine?

Timing chain and tensioner needs replaced.  My TSI Fabia needed the same.  Dealer was all set to find nothing wrong when it did it for them the following morning (it wouldn't always do it) and that confirmed what it was.  That sorted it.

Edited by Mike Wrightson
  • Like 1

Mine seems to be from the suspension or drop link problem. We have a lot of speed bumps where I live and it's really prominent and loud when you go over speed bumps.

When skoda fitted the lowering springs they said there was nothing wrong in that area. I'm so glad I didn't fit the springs myself as I now still have my warranty to fall back on.

• Like 1

As with Wire - definitely not timing chain or tensioner on mine (sound is in the wrong place for that - plus that was the first thing both places checked). It's more likely suspension related as it's hitting speed bumps and potholes when it's most noticeable. It's either a dodgy strut, shock top or track rod related.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

As with Wire - definitely not timing chain or tensioner on mine (sound is in the wrong place for that - plus that was the first thing both places checked). It's more likely suspension related as it's hitting speed bumps and potholes when it's most noticeable. It's either a dodgy strut, shock top or track rod related.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I sometime think I can hear a rattle or knock from the suspension area of my car... Hum, further investigation I feel.

• 4 months later...

Hi All, took delivery of my new Rapid Spaceback 1.2 SE Sport two weeks ago quite impressed with it and none of the problems listed here, now got 600 miles on the clock and after a run round the M25 yesterday have an oil leak and smell of petrol from somewhere at the back of the engine. When I had a look there was a lot of oil under the TSI engine cover at the back and in a definite spray pattern up the side - odd - and lots around the turbo manifold joint where it joins the block. Is there oil in the turbo manifold I wouldn't have thought so? Anyway its going in tomorrow for them to look at.

Sounds like a leaking injector seal to me. Get it fixed & make sure they do an engine flush & oil change afterwards. Otherwise there is a risk of carbonised oil collecting & clogging the oil feed pipes for the turbo.

• Like 1

Yep ive got the clunking from the nearside rear that goes away when it warms up too!!! Amazing how many of us have that problem. I've still got a horrible creaking noise when you go from full lock right to centre whilst moving at slow speeds. Both problems i've been told are nothing to worry about...