Sad times

Well the day is finally approaching when my Octavia vRS is heading off for good.

What a lovely car and I would have kept it for years had it not been for such a terrible build quality. Rattles and squeaks all over it and unbelievable road noise.

Dennis Horton Skoda Lincoln could not fix the issues and refused to take the car back after rejection.

But, after months of dealing with Skoda UK who also refused to take it back, I finally contacted VWFS CEO directly. What a difference!!!

They arranged a DEKRA vehicle inspection which highlighted other issues as well as the ones I had pointed out. After their report VWFS have agreed to take the car back.

I am sad to see it go but there is no way I could have lived with the issues any longer. And, Dennis Horton Skoda Lincoln too.

Moral of my story would be never to deal in any way, shape or form with the above dealer. Terrible customer service and an arrogant managing director.

Edited by Damo
personal insults removed
  • Like 2

I bought from Horton's and they have been OK for me. Customer service has been better than other Skoda dealers imo and Oliver cut the deal with me personally on launch weekend back in March 2013, which was over £1500 better than the nearest offer from other dealers.

Some times people dig their heals in after making an initial decision and point blank refuse to admit making a mistake or liability. This probably happened with the Dealer, where someone thought your initial problems were nothing to worry about, and then would not bend as problems mounted.

Well done for following things through, and good luck with your next purchase.

As a VRS owner I tend to agree that build quality could be much better. Although nothing has fallen off yet, my Octy feels nowhere near as solid as my 3 year old 3-Series did after handing her back.

Edited by Orville

Sorry to hear of your troubles and glad you have it sorted now.

I can't disagree more with the comments re build quality as my VRS is now on 29k miles, hasn't missed a beat and has no rattles at all, just like new in fact. I never get into my colleagues Mercs or BMW's and then back into my Skoda and feel short changed.

Maybe I'm lucky, however I remember when my car was in with Superchips being developed for the remap, the MD let me use his car for the day. A brand new Audi A6 All Road 3.0 tdi. Suffice to say I was glad to hand that back as it rattled on the A & B pillar!!

Hope your next car treats you better.

New Volvo XC90?

As an engineer I would recommend buying a car that has been on the market at least 6 - 12 months. This normally gives the manufacturer time to iron out all the issues on other people's cars and rectify on the production line. I did not follow my own advice with either the Octavia or Leon this time and have suffered the consequences. This also allows you the opportunity to read forums and reviews of what to look out for prior to making your purchase.

• Like 4

All the best, disappointing that Hortons treated you so badly especially as they are also my dealer. However I am forewarned AGAIN THAT THEIR STANDARDS ARE SLIPPING and they are starting down that slippery slope of over confidence. We have all seen excellent dealerships go to the gutter quickly ruining a long earned reputation.

It's also pleasing someone telling a story of dissatisfaction as sometimes these boards are full of people that have the fastest/unbeatable/faultless machine.........I believe these same people holiday in Elevenerife as Tenerife is not good enough... Every company has one of them, like these boards.

• Like 2

Bullit

Thanks for you comments. Skoda as a company also let us down. Was only after VWFS stepped in that anything got sorted.

We have a Citigo Monte Carlo that runs like a dream and now have it serviced at a VW dealer as Skoda were useless.

My advice to anyone in the future who has problems with dealerships or large companies in general is to go to www.ceoemail.com and contact the ceo directly.

• Like 1

All the best, disappointing that Hortons treated you so badly especially as they are also my dealer. However I am forewarned AGAIN THAT THEIR STANDARDS ARE SLIPPING and they are starting down that slippery slope of over confidence. We have all seen excellent dealerships go to the gutter quickly ruining a long earned reputation.

It's also pleasing someone telling a story of dissatisfaction as sometimes these boards are full of people that have the fastest/unbeatable/faultless machine.........I believe these same people holiday in Elevenerife as Tenerife is not good enough... Every company has one of them, like these boards.

I wholeheartedly agree with that , we came to Skoda from Mercedes as their dealerships had really gone downhill and Skoda really was a breath of fresh air but in the last 9 years and 4 new Skodas I have seen standards and customer service slide badly, to a similar standard as our local VW franchises , perhaps that's understandable but not sure its forgiveable

For me the customer service was what carried Skoda when the brand wasn't very strong, perhaps the powers that be feel that now the brand is strong they no longer need the customer service?

I feel for the OP and I have never seen so many rejections of vehicles reported on a forum in the past and I am on quite a few! Nor so many rejections of issues that are clearly warranty related

I dont understand the logic of working so hard to build a brand up and correct the reputation of old to treat customers so badly that if they do reject a car they aren't encouraged to get into another of the same brand, those that have had to go down this road may well never buy another Skoda again and will no doubt tell their story and damage the brand further. 

Got to say Tony I totally agree with you about the build quality.  Mine is a launch model and I've got more rattles and vibrations in the cabin then I've had with any other car in all my years of driving.  Too much poor plastic.  The suspension is too firm as well, which tends to amplify the rattles.  My MK II was rattle free, 7 years old and a peach compared to this...the only better thing is the Canton upgrade but the rattles have got too much into my head that I tend to try and resolve them myself and not listen to the stereo - yes I could turn it up and ignore them but.......once they're in your head.

I really don't enjoy the driving experience anymore.  I've got about 15 months left on PCP but am looking to Audi to hopefully cut a deal and swap - providing they do something about the outstanding PCP...not sure how it all works but if they want a sale then it's a major discussion point.....just like a trade-in I guess?

It really does look like Skoda are letting far too many lemons out of the factory. Apart from the poor suspension, I have no problems with my Octy, and it really does show how brilliant the car could be with a couple of minor improvements.

Unfortunately they have to stop these lemons getting out first though.

+1 I think youve been very unlucky.

Launch cars have a bit of a reputation for paint and /or build woes but then you'll always hear the very worst of that on forums such as these..I am sure many are fine and have been as good as gold.

Was quite a stepped improvement I think going into MY14 and like everything they do get better and better as time goes on and constant revisions made to components and the build process in general.

My Elegance in isolation is probably the best all round Skoda Ive owned.....its quite quick, drives well, is economical (though nothing like the manufacturers figures even after 20k miles) and very little has gone wrong on it in year one.

My only real grumble is that its rather dull, its nice to drive but not remotely interesting....its a mode of transport and not alot more...and Im concious now I should have held on and bought a vRS...sure if be more contented with one of those.

Also the seats in the elegance arent that great.  The backrests are v flat (regardless of the lumbar supports which IMHO dont work particularly well) and offer almost zero lateral support.  Ive developed a poor posture from years of working at a computer and more recent lack of exercise (hard to find the time with work and two young kids that dont give you a minutes peace!) And has to be said the seats really arent helping the cause.

The residual values are also proving rather poor and whilst they remain a rather affordable and excellent mid size car their now rather high list prices and arguable oversupply (more popular than the Mk2 in seemingly all markets...private, lease and rental) has seen to it that on a PCP at least if you buy one you're in it for the long term unless you have cash to burn.  Disappointing given its the first of three Skodas that has exhibited very poor early residuals.

Guys

In all honesty it has been the worst car I have ever owned. I have driven some terrible cars in the past but nothing compared to this.

I may have given it more time to repair the faults but the dealer was totally useless. Seems to spend more time on youtube with his project car than sorting customers problems. Strikes me as he is just playing at being a dealer at the expense of his family name/business.

I drive a VW for work. Had no issues with JCT600 in Newark so thats where our Citigo will be going from now on.