Smokey 2002 1.9TDI

Here's a few photos after staring this evening with coolant sensor still disconnected.  I let the glow lamp indicator illuminate and go out three times prior to starting engine......... 

P1070795.jpg

P1070796.jpg

P1070798.jpg

P1070800.jpg

Last pic is after car had been idling for 3 minutes :sweat:

Looks like the state of my brother's taxi when he finally got rid, the diagnosis was beyond economic repair, at very least a new set of injectors, probably holed a piston too. It was OK once warmed up, but down on power. Got scrapped!

Well that's really cheered me up  :thumbdown:

Still think its the glow plugs?

As I said its not smokey at all when warmed up, just during cold start.  Power seems OK.

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Do you have a suitable meter to hand, you could just measure the resistance of the glow plugs with them in the engine. Anything over 1ohm is a sign they are no good. If they are open circuit then definitely screwed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Meyer or meter?

And with disconnecting the coolant temp sensor - apart from coil light coming on on dash what else would that do?  I'm guessing the glow plugs would be trying (although possibly failing) to heat?

(I've now reconnected it by the way as was out for 30/40 mile trip tonight and all else seems to function fine)

From receipts included in sale, car seems to have had new radiator, coolant temp sensor, and head gasket early 2013 since which point its done around 25,000 miles...........

Stupid autocorrect!

If you disconnect the CTS the ECU doesn't know what the coolant temp is, so it errs on the side of caution and assumes it is cold and give maximum timing to the glow plugs. So if the CTS is bust the ECU can think it's warm when actually cold and not turn on the glow plugs.

OK so if my car has had a new CTS fitted two years ago and the dashboard glow lamp stays on much longer when CTS disconnected, does that suggest "new" CTS is gubbed too or is something else going on?

For sake of £30 for 4 glow plugs I might as well give them a shot.  

Apologies for daft questions 

mines also smokey on startup so i'll be watching this with interest - mind you , I run mine on veg oil so a bit is expected but its increased since I put bigger injectors in - sorry to thread hijack

when you drive the car, is it down on power for the first minute or so, or does it drive normal?

OK so if my car has had a new CTS fitted two years ago and the dashboard glow lamp stays on much longer when CTS disconnected, does that suggest "new" CTS is gubbed too or is something else going on?

For sake of £30 for 4 glow plugs I might as well give them a shot.

Apologies for daft questions

The CTS is probably OK. The glow plugs only come on for the length of time needed based on the coolant temp. It would need to be very cold for them to stay on for the maximum length of time. Something like -10°C or lower outside.

:swear:  :swear:  :swear: I've never seen smoke that bad, not even when my Dad had an XUD with a failed glowplug controller and the car needed started at -10C!

Yes it is pretty mental.  Only happens on cold start though.  Was using the car today and put around 200 miles on it without issues.  Warm starting and general running are fine.

Picked up a set of glow plugs to so will try changing them at weekend - I take it there's no mystery in fitting them - just like you would a spark plug, yes?

Might also tip in a bottle of engine cleaner to the next tank of fuel.  That and change oil and filter.

Still don't understand why the glow plug light goes out so quickly - is changing the GPs likely to have any effect on that?

Do not over tighten them. Clean any debris off from around the old plugs before you take out the old ones. Also worth a spot of penetrating fluid and leaving it to soak for a while first.

Still don't understand why the glow plug light goes out so quickly - is changing the GPs likely to have any effect on that?

I'm not sure how the GP relay calculates the time the light is on but it may be down to the amps used by the GP's........if the old one's are fecked then the'll use less amps than new ones so YES, it may have an effect on the light.   Or maybe the relay's out to lunch?!

What's the air temp when the light goes out quick? If above 7°C then it won't stay on.

Mine went a bit gaga and the glow plug would stay on only briefly and it turned out to be the 109 relay which controls power to the ECU, I changed it and normal service resumed.

I'm not sure how the GP relay calculates the time the light is on but it may be down to the amps used by the GP's........if the old one's are fecked then the'll use less amps than new ones so YES, it may have an effect on the light.   Or maybe the relay's out to lunch?!

The 1.9D (as in Octy and Furbie, all tunes inc SDi and PD) is a "Direct Injection" engine, which means that it has no "swirl pots" for the fuel to be injected into, and therefore needs less pre-heating than an InDirect Injection engine like the XUD I mentioned earlier.

What's the air temp when the light goes out quick? If above 7°C then it won't stay on.

3 degrees this morning.  Started up with much less smoke today and all i've done so far is put a bottle of Wynns diesel flush in the tank and driven another 150 miles yesterday.  Coincidence?     :sweat:

Get someone to check the timing on VCDS as maybe too retarded in which case needs adjusting. My most recent 110 ASV I acquired in January and was difficult to start from cold plus white smoke when it did start. 3 glow plugs were down plus timing too retarted, so new set of glow plugs (one of which was a b**** to get out), and timing adjusted (slightly advanced) and starts perfectly with no smoke at all. Glowplug lights goes out now in under 2 seconds.....

Just wondering about my Octy ASV, when i got it 2 years ago it had all service/work history with it and there was an issue with the glow plugs, it had been into Skoda dealers a few times for the glow plugs not working, they couldnt work out what the fault was and in the end put it down to an ECU fault and installed a manual switch to operate the glow plugs in cold weather.

Me being of a curious nature and not liking faults like this, i'm going to try the CTS check on my weekend of maintenance in 2 weeks time.

That Mr Muscle turbo clean is an essential too, along with the EGR and inlet manifold - i couldnt believe the amount of oily crap that got built up in there

Do you have a suitable meter to hand, you could just measure the resistance of the glow plugs with them in the engine. Anything over 1ohm is a sign they are no good. If they are open circuit then definitely screwed.

Got a meter onto the plugs today.  Two reading approx 0.6 / 0.7 ohms and two not changing the meter reading at all, so it stayed at "1"

That may explain a few things.  Picked up a new set at £7.50 each from ECP in Aberdeen and changed them over tonight.  Engine still a bit warm so will see how things go tomorrow morning.  Smoke has been significantly better since I put the diesel flush into tank but still much worse than should be.  Will let you know how tomorrow goes  :peek:

• Like 1

Well - frost on the windscreen and about minus 3 degrees this morning and I can report changing glow plugs hasn't made a difference.  Glow plug light illuminates for 1/2 seconds then goes out.  Still much smoke being produced.

Glow plug relay next?