'Drive battery voltage'

My son's 1.4 petrol ( the orange one in my avatar on left ) has intermittent flickering headlights, intermittent power steering going stiff and random warning lights on the dash.Also the central locking often locks when opening and closing doors, could be a problem if the keys were inside.

Fault code read 01598-Drive battery voltage. Replaced battery, cleaned up earth lead to body and protected with Vaseline.

Please could anyone suggest fault or direct me to a post on here which could assist?

First thing to do is to look whether the charge light comes on in instrument cluster when ignition is turned on, and goes out again when the engine starts.

Second thing is to look at the two signal wires that come off the back of the alternator, and go to a plug/socket connection low down on the front of the gearbox.

Search DFM wire or 'load sense' and you should find quite a few threads with images etc.

First thing to do is to look whether the charge light comes on in instrument cluster when ignition is turned on, and goes out again when the engine starts.

Second thing is to look at the two signal wires that come off the back of the alternator, and go to a plug/socket connection low down on the front of the gearbox.

Search DFM wire or 'load sense' and you should find quite a few threads with images etc.

+1 My guess would be alternator diode going/gone to allow fluctuating current rises and falls.

Typical at night with headlights on, seeing the headlights go dim then bright alternately, but quickly.

My son's 1.4 petrol ( the orange one in my avatar on left ) has intermittent flickering headlights, intermittent power steering going stiff and random warning lights on the dash.

Possible steering angle sensor.