my new skoda octavia scout 180 tsi 4x4 dsg

My much slower 150 horses diesel verision has progressive steering. Infact I find this steering almost perfect (i.e. dead precise, meaty, and almost without reactions).

How did you get progressive steering on that?? :o

Well, well, I may be wrong but I found the code 1N3 on the paper label reporting the manufacturing configuration.

Such a code is described as "Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)".

Don't know if this is "progressive steering", but I must say I was (and am) very satisfied with the steering (I keep it set to Sport).

As said above, cant really compare the Diesel vrs to a non vrs petrol model...

Also.. dont forget the weight of the options fitted and driver... plus fuel !

Well, well, I may be wrong but I found the code 1N3 on the paper label reporting the manufacturing configuration.

Such a code is described as "Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)".

Don't know if this is "progressive steering", but I must say I was (and am) very satisfied with the steering (I keep it set to Sport).

That sounds like the regular setup. Variable steering is a vRS only feature as far as I know.

That sounds like the regular setup. Variable steering is a vRS only feature as far as I know.

And how is it defined? I couldn't match a proper code in on the list of codes provided by http://vag-codes.info/ (but the aforementioned 1N3 I have on my label, of course).

Edited by Genoa1893

In no way a "mines bigger than yours" statement as I run a 150 TDI Elegance id still maintain that if you wanted an Octavia and it had to offer up a remotely sporty driving experience you would have to go for a vRS.

My Elegance is a great car but sporty/fun to drive it absolutely isnt. I cant really imagine a Elegance TSI 4x4 or Scout to be any different myself; perhaps just a bit faster in a straight line (180/184) with better all weather grip/handling.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

Define sporty?

I've no doubt a lower ride height, sticky tyres, stiffer suspension, quicker steering and figure hugging seats all contribute to making you feel more connected to the car but does that make it sporty?

There are also plenty of normal powered cars out there running on standard suspension that shout 'sporty' with their bright paint, big alloys, spoilers, restyled bumpers, red stitching, black headlights and chrome tail pipes etc.

But which example is the most sporty?

The vRS has never been marketed as a performance car, it has a pretty standard 2.0 litre engine with a power output not far from most modern family saloons, petrol and diesel.

I've never understood why people get so defensive over their car's ability to get from A to B quicker than someone else's car. It's great to have a little fun, 'mine's bigger than yours etc.' that's what blokes do, but please lighten up!

For those who have been around Briskoda long enough will remember the arguments discussions over on the MkII forum, but between petrol and diesel vRS owners, neither side willing to admit that each car was suited to different driving styles and environments, one just HAD to be better faster than the other.

Would it be such a big deal if the Scout was faster than a vRS?

Two different cars for two different customers.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

And how is it defined? I couldn't match a proper code in on the list of codes provided by http://vag-codes.info/ (but the aforementioned 1N3 I have on my label, of course).

As far as I understand the basic steering only has adjustable power steering. But on the vRS it actually changes the ratio the steering wheel turns the wheels depending on driving speed.

As far as I understand the basic steering only has adjustable power steering. But on the vRS it actually changes the ratio the steering wheel turns the wheels depending on driving speed.

Well, it would be interesting to know the exact code. Who knows whether a VRS owner can write his list of codes, in order to let us identifiy it?

Anyway, again I'm pretty satisfied with the steering. While, to better satisfy my "sporty" tastes, even at standard engine/power,I would consider stiffening a bit the suspensions of my elegance ;)

Edited by Genoa1893

Congrats! Happy with it so far?

And did it come with radiostationlogos preloaded?

I expect they broadcast the logos locally hence why they are there.

For some reason in the UK the only logo'd station is BBC World Service.

Define sporty?

I've no doubt a lower ride height, sticky tyres, stiffer suspension, quicker steering and figure hugging seats all contribute to making you feel more connected to the car but does that make it sporty?

There are also plenty of normal powered cars out there running on standard suspension that shout 'sporty' with their bright paint, big alloys, spoilers, restyled bumpers, red stitching, black headlights and chrome tail pipes etc.

But which example is the most sporty?

The vRS has never been marketed as a performance car, it has a pretty standard 2.0 litre engine with a power output not far from most modern family saloons, petrol and diesel.

I've never understood why people get so defensive over their car's ability to get from A to B quicker than someone else's car. It's great to have a little fun, 'mine's bigger than yours etc.' that's what blokes do, but please lighten up!

For those who have been around Briskoda long enough will remember the arguments discussions over on the MkII forum, but between petrol and diesel vRS owners, neither side willing to admit that each car was suited to different driving styles and environments, one just HAD to be better faster than the other.

Would it be such a big deal if the Scout was faster than a vRS?

Two different cars for two different customers.

Absolutely agree with your last statement Silver, is v true. Also sorry to the OP for the thread hijack, lovely car and in a combination us poor Brits are deprived of. Many congrats and enjoy it.

The only point I really wanted to make was that the vRS is more or less a stretched and rebodied Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD (engine dependant) and is a performance oriented/sporty version of the Octavia but totally agree it isnt a performance car in any guise

In no way knocking a 1.8 engined Elegance or Scout but those models are not and IMHO don't exhibit any vRS-esque personality. Good cars but I suspect very effective rather than any real fun....but that is very much personal opinion. Not that a vRS is an absolute hoot (as a GTD/GTI they major on effectiveness more than outright fun) but I'd imagine its more fun than any regular O3 model regardless of the engine.

Certainly with my Mk2 TDI vRS CR DSG, whilst it underwhelmed in performance terms (wasnt v quick for a 170hp diesel car but think DSG had something to do with it), to drive it was bags more fun than my Mk6 Golf GT TDI and current O3 Elegance. I drove it for the sake of it at times where I didnt with the Golf and dont with the current Octavia.

• Like 1

I expect they broadcast the logos locally hence why they are there.

For some reason in the UK the only logo'd station is BBC World Service.

Afaik Norwegian stations doesn't broadcast logos. But I dont know for sure.

Absolutely agree with your last statement Silver, is v true. Also sorry to the OP for the thread hijack, lovely car and in a combination us poor Brits are deprived of. Many congrats and enjoy it.

The only point I really wanted to make was that the vRS is more or less a stretched and rebodied Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD (engine dependant) and is a performance oriented/sporty version of the Octavia but totally agree it isnt a performance car in any guise

In no way knocking a 1.8 engined Elegance or Scout but those models are not and IMHO don't exhibit any vRS-esque personality. Good cars but I suspect very effective rather than any real fun....but that is very much personal opinion. Not that a vRS is an absolute hoot (as a GTD/GTI they major on effectiveness more than outright fun) but I'd imagine its more fun than any regular O3 model regardless of the engine.

Certainly with my Mk2 TDI vRS CR DSG, whilst it underwhelmed in performance terms (wasnt v quick for a 170hp diesel car but think DSG had something to do with it), to drive it was bags more fun than my Mk6 Golf GT TDI and current O3 Elegance. I drove it for the sake of it at times where I didnt with the Golf and dont with the current Octavia.

I take a lot of fun driving my Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance, especially because it's a fast car, capable of quick overruns, with a great road holding, yet comfortable.

I always looked for fairly efficient cars, but always wanted them to be discrete.

If I could have waited the necessary time to get a petrol vRS, I would have loved its engine, but not its appearance that I find just a little too showy.

This is what I like in my car: get the same performance as a TDI vRS (or a golf GTD or a 320i/d) and display absolutely no vRS-esque personality.

Of course I understand this is a personal point of view, but I guess as valid as any.

So yes agreed, different cars for different persons.

It's really a matter of taste. I performed many mods to squeeze more amusement from my oldie VRS TDI MkII, but to the aesthetic I found really satisfying to me. Throw a stiffer RARB on any FWD and the amusement can start :)

I take a lot of fun driving my Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance, especially because it's a fast car, capable of quick overruns, with a great road holding, yet comfortable.

I always looked for fairly efficient cars, but always wanted them to be discrete.

If I could have waited the necessary time to get a petrol vRS, I would have loved its engine, but not its appearance that I find just a little too showy.

I have to agree on everything regarding the 184 2.0 TDI Elegance. I prefer a car that's discreet on the outside but has some oomph under the bonnet when I need it.

Edited by kallekilponen

Afaik Norwegian stations doesn't broadcast logos. But I dont know for sure.

I do not get the logos when the stationlist shows. But there are several views to pick from:

post-123248-0-30729900-1428527099_thumb.jpgpost-123248-0-58443000-1428527116_thumb.jpg