Incredibly boring information.

For the benefit of the one person who might be interested: - since 1 August 2013 while driving around in UK and Spain, my wife, who is eagle eyed and I, have seen 14 Rapids and 14 Spacebacks.  I'm sure this is a record. Or something.  We've seen even fewer Bentleys Ferraris and Lamborghinis.  But it is still a very exclusive motor. Could become a collectors' classic

It's surely not better than the Octavia III is it? I've only ever been in one once and that was a Taxi been driven my an completely bonkers driver who wanted to go everywhere at warp speed. It was the 2.0 TDI 150 I believe and it bluddy shifted! Inside it felt quieter than the rapid does and less wind speed entering the cockpit. I would love to have a go in a VRS at some point cas i've always seen that as a car I would love to own but I do hear a lot of bad feedback on this forum about the octy mk III. What is so bad about it?

In my case I owned an Octy III SE TDI 150 for six months, developed into the most uncomfortable car I've owned in 30 odd years of driving, didn't appreciate how poorly aligned the seating, steering and foot pedals were (on RHD at least) from the test drives.

Find the Spaceback just as good to drive as the Octy, with a much better seating position; although not as brisk obviously and with a slightly firmer ride due to the lower profile tyres.

Also in many ways I prefer the cabin design/layout and despite criticisms from others I don't notice the absence of soft touch dash surfaces; caressing the dash is not my bag :D

TP

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just popped to a retail park in Northampton (about a four mile round trip from home) and saw three Rapids - a Denim Blue Rapid, a Race Blue Rapid Spaceback and a black Rapid, all in the space of 5 minutes. And no, I wasn't driving any of them as I was in my wife's Panda. Is this a record? Are discounts helping the Rapid to pick up sales at last?

Surely it is rare to see a non-taxi Rapid, at least here in Greece, but the 2014 annual report of Skoda Auto (google it) shows that it is the second most popular model (after the Octavia), that the deliveries of the Rapid (notch plus space) consist the 21% of the total deliveries, and that the model saw a YOY increase of 113% in its deliveries last year.

So, for Skoda, it can be seen as a successful model.

• Like 2

Surely it is rare to see a non-taxi Rapid, at least here in Greece, but the 2014 annual report of Skoda Auto (google it) shows that it is the second most popular model (after the Octavia), that the deliveries of the Rapid (notch plus space) consist the 21% of the total deliveries, and that the model saw a YOY increase of 113% in its deliveries last year.

So, for Skoda, it can be seen as a successful model.

I've seen that report and I think the Rapid's best markets, apart from the Czech Republic, are Russia and China, where there are also Skoda factories churning Rapids out nineteen to the dozen. Not sure if they count the Indian-produced Rapid towards that total as it is a different car. From my perspective the Rapid is most attractive as a 1 year old used buy. I'll definitely consider getting another one. Edited by RapidPaul

I've seen that report and I think the Rapid's best markets, apart from the Czech Republic, are Russia and China, where there are also Skoda factories churning Rapids out nineteen to the dozen. Not sure if they count the Indian-produced Rapid towards that total as it is a different car. From my perspective the Rapid is most attractive as a 1 year old used buy. I'll definitely consider getting another one.

How much does a one year old one cost?

Is it much less than the 11k or 12k you'd pay for a new (pre-reg) zero miles one?

Edited by camelspyyder

Just having a look at Skodas up to 2 years old on Autotrader. There are 1025 Octavias available, 931 Fabias and 498 Rapids, if you add the standard Rapids to the Spacebacks to get a total figure. I know it's not a scientific measre, but if that in any way reflects the heirarchy of sales, that's not half bad for the new boy.

Edited by RapidPaul

But they've only been out for about 3 years so looks quite a lot to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I mean (and why I only searched for cars up to 2 years old to make it a fair comparison). Whilst the Rapid hasn't set the world on fire, I think it has sold better than a lot of people think. Skoda have made some sensible tweaks to the standard UK kit with the latest SE Tech and SE Sport trim levels. With the new price cuts, they should be able to shift it in reasonable numbers.

Edited by RapidPaul
  • Like 1

I can't go more than 5 mins before I see one here in Glasgow, although I will admit that is taxi drivers, they are everywhere! (not spaceback) Theres also 1 blue spaceback thats a Taxi I always see.

I went to Pwllheli in May via Liverpool to visit family, I did 943 miles in 8 days and I seen one Red Spaceback the whole trip and it was towing a caravan up the M6. Wife thinks I'm crazy as I was so excited to see it! lol

• Like 1

Just seen a blue spaceback 14plate with the style pack (not a taxi!) sitting outside krispy kreme in Edinburgh. Such a rare sight! Only the 5th spaceback i've seen since I got mine 3 months ago.

Wow! 2 days on the trot.  Denim Blue Rapid hatchback (SE or Elegance I think) 

Definitely getting more popular! lol

Yesterday - Silver Rapid Hatch SE or Elegance

Today - Race Blue Rapid Hatch SE or Elegance

4 in 6 days, it's a plague of them :)

I don't think I ever remember seeing a Toledo away from a SEAT dealership - and to be honest even they rarely have one, and I've been to several.

Edited by camelspyyder