VRS vs Elegance Estate

Hi

I had the same dilemma a while ago. I went for the Elegance and have not regretted it. Performance difference on the road is negligible,  The road tax on the Elegance is £30 pa .Mine has privacy glass and sports suspension and 18 inch wheels as factory options. Also as I use it for work ( plumbing & heating ) I wanted folding mirrors. They are not available on the vrs. Insurance is about £200 pa. Mine is an auto 2.0L diesel and I get between 40 and 45mpg loaded up around town. I am very please with this. Have seen 50+mpg two up with no tools on a run. 

Hi

I had the same dilemma a while ago. I went for the Elegance and have not regretted it. Performance difference on the road is negligible,  The road tax on the Elegance is £30 pa .Mine has privacy glass and sports suspension and 18 inch wheels as factory options. Also as I use it for work ( plumbing & heating ) I wanted folding mirrors. They are not available on the vrs. Insurance is about £200 pa. Mine is an auto 2.0L diesel and I get between 40 and 45mpg loaded up around town. I am very please with this. Have seen 50+mpg two up with no tools on a run.

How do you find the 18in wheels and sports suspension? Went back to change my order to add them but had left it too late?

How do you find the 18in wheels and sports suspension? Went back to change my order to add them but had left it too late?

Ive tried the l&k with sportsuspension on 17" wheels, and that was fine on bad winter roads.

I didnt pick the sportsuspension only because of the lower rideheight.

Hi

I had the same dilemma a while ago. I went for the Elegance and have not regretted it. Performance difference on the road is negligible, The road tax on the Elegance is £30 pa .Mine has privacy glass and sports suspension and 18 inch wheels as factory options. Also as I use it for work ( plumbing & heating ) I wanted folding mirrors. They're not available on the VRS....

Are you sure? Folding mirrors were available as an extra in Dec 14 and they are great with the auto-dimming.

What "Redboy" said.

Available as an option on the VRS (folding and auto dimming).

I opted for them, and on the very first journey (80 miles on the M54, M6 and M5 in the dark) with the car found that they will be a "must have" on any future car I buy.

The car was fully loaded with various motor sport bits and pieces and still returned an indicated 42mpg on the 400 mile round trip, I'm happy with that (2.0 TSI VRS)

They are really good on good roads...lol. Don't like potholes, but then what wheel /tyre combination does. Front near side had been curbed a few times now parking. They do look the business though...lol

Are you sure? Folding mirrors were available as an extra in Dec 14 and they are great with the auto-dimming.

Bought mine before then. Good idea to include them in the top model now...!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Can you get the Elegance 2.0 D 150ps chipped to the same spec as the VRS?nanyone done this?

Not sure about chipping but plenty have used the DTUK pedal box on this engine - plenty of threads on this and Seat forums.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/343933-dtuk-power-box-stage-1-or-2-for-a-150ps/?hl=%2Bdtuk#entry4135392

Edited by Black_Sheep

Just to add to this debate...

One of the biggest differences between elegance and VRS is the brakes. Whilst you may keep up in a straight line they make a big difference on the twisty stuff.

Can you get the Elegance 2.0 D 150ps chipped to the same spec as the VRS?nanyone done this?

Yes DTUK do a tuning box for the 2.0 150 that gives circa. 200ps and around 340lb/ft torque I believe.

Will make a 150 Elegance faster than a stock vRS TDI in a straight line by a reasonable margin but then the same box can be fitted to the vRS and prove circa. 235ps and 360-370lb/ft torqur output....so a boxed vRS TDI is probably as quick if not slightly quicker (particularly mid range) than a stock TSI then.

All I personally would say is that IMHO 150ps already feels like quite a bit of power for the stock chassis (torsion beam and no sports suspension)....an extra 50ps an 100ish lb/ft torque are likely just going to further highlight the stock chassis inadequacies....nothing some uprated springs, perhaps dampers, RARB and 312mm front brakes wouldnt resolve for minimal cost though I am sure.

Have to say i have been quite tempted by the DTUK box.....will make a bit of a dull to drive car a bit more interesting at least in a straight line!