Yellow Peril II, this time its personal

Leeboy

• 3 months later...

Nice :) what power are you expecting 350?

It's going to have to stay below three for now, need forged rods if I want to stay into the threes. And it's on old saggy suspension too at the mo.

What's the fantasy green fab knocking out now? Been roughly following your thread on Fabia projects.

It's going to have to stay below three for now, need forged rods if I want to stay into the threes. And it's on old saggy suspension too at the mo.

What's the fantasy green fab knocking out now? Been roughly following your thread on Fabia projects.

I'm back on standard map, had a remap but it was pants, but I'm going on a rolling road on the 19th March hoping for around 160bhp as its only got 3" turbo back exhaust and induction kit,

Your have more potential though with the ko4 hybrid though which is good, for when you get used to the power :)

• 3 weeks later...

Attention now turns to body and interior while still finalising tweaks to engine map. For the original yellow peril I made up a custom grille and I'd thought I'd do the same here.

So spanner off the grille assembly and carefully break it down to its constituent parts.

IMAG1202_zpsyqdetdzv.jpg

Then be certain about this before taking an hacksaw to the plastic slotted insert.

IMAG1203_zpsbxvpo0pr.jpg

Meanwhile I sourced some stainless steel mesh from "the mesh company".

IMAG1263_zps9oh8zqaf.jpg

After much snipping and checking together with a bit of gentle bending, the mesh is ready for the grille surround.

IMAG1265_zps64ngefso.jpg

Finally, sandwich it in place with the chrome surround. I was going to buy a new one but the local parts counter wanted £50 something for a new one.

I did though put a new badge on (decided to keep the badge as original for the car).

IMAG1267_zpskgsq68wh.jpg

Needs sticking together so will use some tiger seal and rope to tension and hold all together while it sets.

I will also do the tried and tested wide mouth bumper grille mod at some point too.

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

What's occurring next then? It's not just the oily bits that need attention. The interior is pretty grim so needs a good clean and in the case of the driver's seat, some repair too. I've seen plenty of collapsed seat base bolsters so if you're thinking upholstery repair is for the professional, it's pretty straightforward. So my driver seat looks something like this

_20160425_230155_zpsxkuz13kh.jpg

The leather is still in one piece and it's literally a five minute job to remove the seat from the car.

Then remove the plastic shroud and height adjustment lever which then using fingers alone allows you to unpeeled the rim of the seat base fabric off the pressed steel base

Once peeled back we can see what the issue is...

DSC_0008_zpsirbeh56p.jpg

Probably caught this just in time as the metal has started to rub through the thin under padding of the leather. I'll put a bit of gaffer tape over those wear holes to reinforce it a bit before it goes together.

To remove the cover from the foam base entirely is the tricky bit as you need to unhook rods off the wires embedded in the pad foam. It can be done using long nose pliers.

DSC_0009_zps5rdcmu99.jpg

New seat bases are available from u our friendly dealers / TPS counter but these days are not cheap. £84 + vat, I'm sure they use to be much cheaper.

DSC_0002_zpsyrmvy4gi.jpg

Part number if interested:

DSC_0003_zpszftg9x96.jpg

While the cover is off, I've given the fabric a good wash clean and now nearly like new. I need to clean the back rest fabric too, treat the leather then reassemble before returning to the car. More to follow!

• Like 4

Done some more today, having had a day off work. Started with stripping out the remaining interior and cleaned plastic bits as I went. Nothing got broken until I dropped the rear ash tray insert on the ground, doh!

Part way in:

IMAG1322_zpsmaiimkcq.jpg

With the aim of getting this in:

IMAG1330_zpse8mgw34j.jpg

Didn't fit the new carpet today though as I found a bit of damp in the front passenger underfelt due to a leaky door card. Not too bad and easily fixed.

Next it was time to get the front up on axle stands and change track rod ends as the nearside was on the slack side. Got some original Skoda items but miffed they don't come with a new nyloc nut!

IMAG1324_zpswjl0j93f.jpg

IMAG1325_zpsrzv3cbio.jpg

While looking at steering bits thought it time to fit the poly steering rack bush I picked up from a fellow Briskodian. Bit of a swine to remove the old one and then even worst to fit the poly bush. Got there in the end though.

IMAG1326_zpscogaby92.jpg

Again while on my back I looked at heat management of the down pipe with some glass fibre heat wrap. I was told to soak it in water first then wrap it in place and it will contract when it dries out so will end up nice and tight. Used a jubilee clip to secure the end of the tape.

IMG-20160429-WA0002_zpsiywf1wzn.jpeg

Two final jobs for the day left:

Swap out the engine mounts. I figured that to protect the delicate Relentless manifold I need to reduce engine movement under load so to reduce stress going through the turbo and downpipe. So I invested in a pair of Vibratech fast road mounts.

Fitted the gearbox side having first removed the TIP. Got some new stretch bolts from my local dealer.

IMAG1328_zpspxcgucy4.jpg

This also gave me the opportunity to stick on a new KO4 Badger 5 oversized TIP in preparation for completion of the mapping.

IMAG1329_zpswqu9zbsy.jpg

Need to look at some of the piping as I've got a bit of kinking to the oil separator but getting there.

Will see if I can get the right hand mount fitted over the weekend along with the carpet.

• Like 3

How much of a difference do these mounts make? Been considering them to aid with me drag racing and track days plus like you wanna reduce engine rock as my miltek downpipe may snap again!

Haven't driven it yet but had a read around on Golf and Seat forums and some claim they are as good as a lsd box for reducing understeer and wheel hop. The race versions is apparently to harsh for the road. I will report back in due course.

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 1

Anything to tame wheel hope is a thumbs up in my books, if my stage 1 spins them and bangs the ground as much as it does cars like urs must be rife with it

Back to the interior this afternoon. Carpet fitting taking great care not to put any mucky marks on it

IMAG1332_zpsxmetjtpw.jpg

Looking good:

IMAG1334_zpsafzsutmm.jpg

Ended up with two torq screws left over so not sure what I missed, everything feels screwed down securely! Still working on getting the seats clean, black dye from the leather keeps bleeding back into the fabric, so will try my water vac after washing and then hair dryer to remove the moisture before the dye starts to bleed back in. I really need a washer vac but don't have one.

• Like 2

Drivers seat is back in the car now. To recap, it looked like this, not pretty:

_20160425_230155_zpsxkuz13kh.jpg

Now looks much better, used a bit of steam to relax the creases out of the leather and have subsequently treated it with some Autoglym leather cream and a top coat of G Techniq leather care stuff. Fabric is pretty clean too now

IMAG1342_zpshmvfklzu.jpg

Left to do on the interior is clean passenger and rear seats, clean front door card then look at the boot area.

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 3

Wow the seat looks brand new! How much was the carpet? Don't think il replace mine but its gotta come out for a deep clean, need a new drivers matt to as ive worn through it

• 3 weeks later...

Wow the seat looks brand new! How much was the carpet? Don't think il replace mine but its gotta come out for a deep clean, need a new drivers matt to as ive worn through it

Carpet was £278 + Vat frommy local dealer parts counter. So nice and new!

• Like 1

Interior is all back together now with everything clean and shiny.

To recap the interior was a bit grotty when I bought the motor...

IMAG0533_zpskml23vyl.jpg

IMAG0531_zpsp0umile7.jpg

IMAG0532_zpsm22gpuwg.jpg

Now though all clean and lovely. New carpet and mats but the rest is original with a repair to the driver seat.

DSC_0025_zpsxx6ovhly.jpg

DSC_0023_zpsawrryfls.jpg

DSC_0020_zpscbikmldq.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsuzyuovta.jpg

DSC_0022_zps5bjietzr.jpg

In the end I found the best cleaning method for the seat and door card fabric is to use a plant sprayer to wet the fabric, then run in some Vanish stain remover soap bar. Give it another spray with water, then gently scrub with a nail brush or similar. Following this, add more water spray and use a wet vac to suck the water and soap out, while wetting regularly.

In saying that the front door cards were showered in the bath with washing powder and a scrubbing bush before being dried off in the greenhouse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...