Engine Oil too much?

Haha how Laureen1979 is here for the jokes - I just hope you replaced the sum plug. 

If not I am afraid it doesnt matter how much oil you've put in. You might as well order a new engine now...

?.

At least there wouldn't be an OVERFILL worry, Lol.

To be fair I don't think you'll be short of volunteers.

I think it is time to start asking friends, family, work colleagues etc. for a trusted local garage, admit defeat on here and take a trip down to see a local mechanic.

Think I answered this in post #13 mate. She's after a cost free answer because she's cheap,... very, very cheap. Anything that sounds expensive because she's made a balls up is falling on deaf ears so we're better off not saying anything, and waiting until she gets fed up and buggers off. :angel:

Engine Oil too much? This Post too much?

Why don't you JUST DRAIN THE EXCESS and be happy that you are not risking any engine damage AT ALL.

Get a large syringe, or something to syphon it out. Simples.

Thought of a better idea.

Wait until the engine does pack up, and then come back on here and ask us what's gone wrong with it.

Promise we won't laugh. :D

Don't forget, fellow posters, that when some people ask a question they are not inviting a problem solving response, least of all one backed with a rational explanation, but just a confirmation of what they have already decided (but they won't necessarily tell you what that decision is).

Naturally, this requires simply asking the question again and again until the already pre-selected answer is confirmed. This can be very disconcerting and irritating to the logically minded, but to the questioner, it's a perfectly normal and acceptable approach. It takes all types.

• Like 3

Don't forget, fellow posters, that when some people ask a question they are not inviting a problem solving response, least of all one backed with a rational explanation, but just a confirmation of what they have already decided (but they won't necessarily tell you what that decision is).

Naturally, this requires simply asking the question again and again until the already pre-selected answer is confirmed. This can be very disconcerting and irritating to the logically minded, but to the questioner, it's a perfectly normal and acceptable approach. It takes all types.

I used to work with a lady who, if she wasn't sure how to do something, would go round the office and individually ask everyone for help on the same problem, only stopping when someone eventually gave her the answer she'd wanted in the first place. Next time she asked me for help I said 'Do you really want to know, or are you just doing a survey for Family Fortunes?....'

• Like 1

No offence to the OP, but there is far more to working on a car than following instructions you've found on the internet,

God I hope not, if it wasn't for you guys I would have achieved zero!

I would argue that the combined knowledge of this forum far exceeds your average Skoda main dealer. Choose to ignore them at your own peril.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Update:

My car has pass the MOT emissions last June and also when I am on the motorway driving for a couple of hours I do not see the temperature gauge go past the middle position plus I haven't notice anything wrong with the engine yet which means I do not need to worry about draining the excess oil right? The whole point of this thread is to ask questions to determined whether its worth going underneath the car to drain the excess oil.

I used this engine oil last year:

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-ect-5w-30.html

It is ok to mix the above oil with this oil?:

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-5w-40.html

Don't mix grades of oil.

If your oil level is still too high then drop the oil filter and drain the contents. It's usually enough to a drop on the dipstick.

Update:

My car has pass the MOT emissions last June and also when I am on the motorway driving for a couple of hours I do not see the temperature gauge go past the middle position plus I haven't notice anything wrong with the engine yet which means I do not need to worry about draining the excess oil right? The whole point of this thread is to ask questions to determined whether its worth going underneath the car to drain the excess oil.

I used this engine oil last year:

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-ect-5w-30.html

It is ok to mix the above oil with this oil?:

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-ultra-5w-40.html

A few years ago I destroyed a clutch after overfilling a MKIV Ford Cortina 1.6 (Pinto). When driving at speed on the motorway oil (a lot! )blew past the rear crankshaft oil seal and was distributed around the bell-housing/clutch. Oil seal was damaged and and the clutch initially slipped a bit but became very juddery.

The oil seal was possibly on it's way anyway and it was an easy fix in those days 

My 2003 Superb I 1.9 PD was very fussy about oil levels. If you filled to the full mark on the dipstick it used oil quickly until the oil level hit half way - then it never used another drop between services. It did this from 20k to 170k miles.

After a few years of ownership - when serviced I asked for the engine to be only filled with oil to the halfway mark

Next thread will be "Do I need a new clutch...."

Indeed,

OP may (just)  get away with this sort of thing on the old 1.6 8v engine but if you did this on a modern diesel with DPF it wouldn't go so well, all that burnt oil would potentially damage the DPF and sensors

Oil levels are important and if you overfill you are in danger of stressing various components - oil seals, breathers, sensors, catalyst, EGR valves etc. If oil was blown onto the cambelt then it's probably  game over for the engine. Blowing oil past inlet valves / swirl flaps on any direct injection engine (petrol or diesel!) could also cause long term problems

Edited by bigjohn

Yeah I am due for a service soon which will involve draining all the oil away anyway. I bought this oil which is different to the last year oil I used:

Should I bought the same 5w-30 instead? Will I notice a difference using 5w-40?

But generally speaking lets say a driver overfilled their car with engine oil surely the visible symptoms will be visible smoke from exhaust and high temperature gauge on dashboard right?

Yeah I am due for a service soon which will involve draining all the oil away anyway. I bought this oil which is different to the last year oil I used:

Should I bought the same 5w-30 instead? Will I notice a difference using 5w-40?

But generally speaking lets say a driver overfilled their car with engine oil surely the visible symptoms will be visible smoke from exhaust and high temperature gauge on dashboard right?

Absolutely correct. Everything you say and suspect is correct. :thumbup: .

Use any oil really, overfill it, under fill it, even try old cooking oil to save a few quid if you like, what harm can it do?

Try it without any oil, see if it runs any better.

Doesn't matter what I advise, you do not seem listen to any of us anyway, but at least we can have a laugh, so long as it is at your expense and not mine.

• Like 1

Dont rise to it mike....im sure its "offnote" back again under a different username.......just trying to get a reaction.....

I thought he was just repeating what his missus's response was last night, :D .

• Like 1

After my recent surgery,  that's way off mark  LOL 

Perhaps your response to your missus's suggestions would be more likely, eh Mike, Lol.

yes, you can mix them. They are both a suitable VW spec for your engine on fixed interval services.  There is nothing wrong with mixing viscosities and oil types providing both oils are suited for the engine.

Don't take my word for it.  ask here:

Shell UK Oil Products Ltd

Brabazon House

Threapwood Road

Concord Business Park

Manchester

M22 0RR

Freephone: 0800 731 8888*

Email: [email protected]

Yes

No

No

No

Ok what are the visual symptoms of engine oil overfill then generally speaking as I haven't noticed any problems with my car since started this thread last year. Or has a miracle bestowed on my car lol? There has to be some explanation. There's no smoke without fire they say.