130 TDi clutch questions

abo

I had a remap recently, no other mods. I've not had it on a dyno, but the mapper gave me figures of 385nm and 165bhp so that's what I have to go with.

My 74k miles clutch is starting to show signs of slippage when there is a torque spike, for example, if I'm doing 70mph and on the cruise control (foot completely off the throttle), and I put my foot down, there is some slip when the boost comes in. If I'm being sympathetic then all is fine.

Anyway, I guess it will soon be time for a new clutch, so I have a few questions... I have no plans for any more power mods btw and I am planning on hanging onto the car for a good while.

If I go for a standard clutch will it handle the 385nm; should I get a decent amount of mileage out of it? I'm no boy racer but I'm not adverse to the odd bit of spirited driving. Or am I looking at getting an uprated clutch?

I guess I should take the precaution of changing the DMF too, do I go SMF or DMF? Is it just a tradeoff of noise/vibration vs flywheel reliability?

And... I need recommendations for the options (standard clutch + DMF / SMF, and uprated clutch + DMF / SMF). I do realize that quality comes at a price, but I'm not made of money lol so I don't want to go mental.

I'm hoping that I can go with a standard clutch because I know for a fact if I get one that will handle more power/torque things are in danger of getting expensive because I know I'll be tempted to splurge on more power mods :D

Stock clutch is rated to 300 lb/ft so surprised it is slipping. Maybe spikes are going higher than you think.

Could be, I had the intention of getting it dyno'd to check the real figures but need to sort the clutch out first now lol! This is a one previous owner car, maybe they were in the habit of riding the clutch...

If you're sticking with just a remap, a like for like standard clutch and dual mass flywheel will suffice.

That's what I was thinking, but I was looking at going SMF for future reliability and price tbh

Now I'm back home I thought I'd expand on this.

I drove to London on Tuesday (277 mile trip for me), the first I noticed the slipping was after about 200 miles. I've put about 4000 miles on the car and not had any slip until that point.

Anyway, driving home yesterday evening, it didn't do it once. Not even after sitting in slowly creeping traffic at Dartford crossing. And not when I was trying to do it deliberately as described in my OP.

Weird. Maybe I've noticed the very first signs of it going?

Can you provide an smf and clutch kit too?

what kind of torque for? I think my supplier can convert DMF to SMF if needed it should be 2-3kg lighter too so more responsive but the gearbox can be a bit noisy then...

Approx 320ftlbs +

It's more for the fit and forget aspect

shouldn't be a problem to make one with stage1 clutch I believe such kit would cost around £450-£500 roughly for 02M 6 speed box

• Like 1