VRS miles to a tank :)

:o 615 ?! bloody hell! thats good going! makes my attempt seem poor now! lol....

I'm happy to see you post, nice to know how well your car is going at nearly 100k..... I will be keeping mine, so will pass that mileage at some point!

Don't think mine will see 100k as it will be sold back to the garage before then. 

Enjoying the Dacia Logan's 600 mile without trying range but mis the Fabia 2 VRS performance of course by a Clio RS later in the year, see what the road test say in the next few weeks on the RS  220 and that would be a good replacement.  Can hardly say it does not have track credentials with its own race series!

• Like 1

Roughly get 300-350 to a tank round town, rarely fill up full 20 quid will easily get me 170 taking it easy round town no motorway usually average anything between 37-42 round town. And surprisingly not much more on the motorway

Roughly get 300-350 to a tank round town, rarely fill up full 20 quid will easily get me 170 taking it easy round town no motorway usually average anything between 37-42 round town. And surprisingly not much more on the motorway

The Fabia 2 VRS has a poor Aerodynamic coefficient ie worse than the "normal" Fabia, think the Cd is aroudn 0.35 from memory.

It is also quite a bit heavier with the 1.4 twincharge so also suffers from that aspect a bit.

The fuel consumption in to the wind is much worse than with the wind.

Far more affected than the Octavia VRS of course.  Hence the Octavia VRS made a good car better than many of fthe other GOlf platform cars, to get the World Land Speed Record at 228 mph for a 2 litre production based car (600 hp helped but the shape/Cd was helpful too.

That said the Fabia 2 VRS is great at hill climbing and passing manovers as the power to weight, at around 130 hp/tonne is pretty healthy.

Distances between services pretty good at 19k miles and range to tank, when vented, I have know worse ie over 400 miles against 300 or so ie Leon Cupra.

The aerodynamics of a Mk2 Fabia vRS are pretty good and just what they are, you can not always have a head wind,

but you will always be going forward i would imagine if you are going more than 10 mph.

if you can get the speed you want and the rev counter is around 2,400 & not need the Supercharger you will get pretty good economy.

& that can be 70 plus mph.

Different tyres makes a difference,

and the thing i find that gives the worst economy for the same speed and route is driving wet roads in the rain,

it does not need to be windy.

The aerodynamics of a Mk2 Fabia vRS are pretty good and just what they are, you can not always have a head wind,

but you will always be going forward i would imagine if you are going more than 10 mph.  if you can get the speed you want and the rev counter is around 2,400 & not need the Supercharger you will get pretty good economy.& that can be 70 plus mph.  Different tyres makes a difference,  and the thing i find that gives the worst economy for the same speed and route is driving wet roads in the rain,  it does not need to be windy.

Fabia 2 VRS drag coefficent is apparently 0.345 and that is not very good at all.  http://www.skoda.ie/brochures/documents/07.2014_fabia_rs.pdf

0.3 Cd or below is OK or better IMO.

Aerodrag is a cube relationship.

• Fabia 2 VRS gets to 140 mph with 180 hp.
  •  
  • Octy 2 VRSD diesel gets to 140 mph with 170 hp.
  •  
  • Octy 2 1.8 TSI get to 140 mph with 160 hp. hmmm.

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/match3286-2674-2671.htm

Gearing not really and issue as all these cars have gearing/gearboxes (6th in DSG versions for the above) that have a gear which is around max power. 

There was a good 10-20 mile wind today, SW I would guess, and it is a huge difference in drving in to a wind and the airspeed is 85 mph and driving with the wind ie it is like 55 mph.

Difference was about 10 mpg I would say according to the onboard computer.

Drag is squared with speed so to make a significant difference to the top speed of a vehicle you need a significant increase in hp eg the mk3 Tsi has nearly 40 more hp but only adds 14mph to to top speed

Drag is squared with speed so to make a significant difference to the top speed of a vehicle you need a significant increase in hp eg the mk3 Tsi has nearly 40 more hp but only adds 14mph to to top speed

Cubed actually.

Hence to get the Mark 2 Octy Vrs from standard 150 mph (petrol not diesel VRS) (having 200 hp) to speed record 225 mph required over 600 hp.

From memory the rolling resisance is a square raltionship rater than cube.  A few articles around http://phors.locost7.info/phors06.htm

It is still nice in the real world that you can get to cover 45 miles from a Gallon while doing the UK Motorway NSL in a 1390cc petrol 

car,  and if you want you can do double that UK Motorway NSL and still get 22 miles from a Gallon.

The aerodynamics are not that bad really.

Are the All New Fabia that much better?

The Facelift Ibiza will have the 1.4TSI ACT 148ps engine, so if that goes in the New Fabia at some point Skoda might be on a winner.

Lighter, more Aerodynamic and it might go quite well and still have decent economy if you want it to have.

• Like 1

post-84579-14310920169673_thumb.jpg

Best I've done in 4 year 47.9mpg 178 mile trip back from Yarmouth

post-84579-14310921319277_thumb.jpg

Range still showing 445 miles remaining after 178 miles [emoji106]

• Like 1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1431092013.038609.jpg

Best I've done in 4 year 47.9mpg 178 mile trip back from Yarmouth

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1431092126.113638.jpg

Range still showing 445 miles remaining after 178 miles [emoji106]

I tend to find the fuel gauge and computer is non-linear with it being showing it more economic than actual in the lower and upper part of the range and less economical in the middle range.

With the Fabia 2 VRS, with venting, the fuel gauge does not more for the first hundred miles, and then roughly can relate to 100 miles per quarter of a tank if on a crusing journey rather than a urban stint.  But it still seems to steam through the middle section of the fuel gauge and then slow up and appear to sip fuel a but more in last quarter.  Might be my driving compounds this. 

The VAG fuel computer appear better than the Renault one in my new Dacia Logan, which, after 500 miles of driving in the 90hp TCE, which is surprisingly spritely, much like the 1.2 TSI 86hp/105hp engines, suddenly went from showing 85 miles to showing now figure at all in the range left function.   Fortunately fill it up with 48 litres of 95 octane, hurray no need to buy 99 octane, and see 650 miles range appear, but do miss the ability to run down to zero miles and even took the Fabia 2 VRS twenty miles past zero, engine sadly missed, not so much the standard handling, need for 98+ Octane.    

• Like 1

I am in Blackpool and just filled up before heading to Santa Pod tomorrow, I used a lot more Momentum today in the warm weather than from the previous 2 fill ups this week running in nice cold Scotland. Not just the weather though, different road surfaces.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I am in Blackpool and just filled up before heading to Santa Pod tomorrow, I used a lot more Momentum today in the warm weather than from the previous 2 fill ups this week running in nice cold Scotland. Not just the weather though, different road surfaces.

I am sure Tescos will apreciate the contribution to their coffers now they have fallen on hard times.

It is those 215 tyres you have.  Change them to some 175s or the like and you will be quids in.

Not missing filling up the Fabia VRS 2 ever other day.  

Hope Santa Pod is/was great.  Doing any RWYB? 

Hi, just been to cobra sports in Sheffield today to get my new exhaust fitted which is great and I live in brighton and it is 4 hour drive each way and 227 each way and I have just done it on one full tank (£50 of tesco 99 fuel)454 Miles on one full tank/usually get 300 only with mostly town driving. (Ps mainly 50 speed limit on M1)and drove 60-70 at other times/virtual all motorway (Very Happy)I thought it would cost £80 on fuel.

Hi, just been to cobra sports in Sheffield today to get my new exhaust fitted which is great and I live in brighton and it is 4 hour drive each way and 227 each way and I have just done it on one full tank (£50 of tesco 99 fuel)454 Miles on one full tank/usually get 300 only with mostly town driving. (Ps mainly 50 speed limit on M1)and drove 60-70 at other times/virtual all motorway (Very Happy)I thought it would cost £80 on fuel.

How many miles did you still have on the range computer??

Near 55 mpg is not impossible and with venting over 500 miles is not too hard to achieve, over 600 miles is my best distance on tank ie Worcester-Glasgow-Worcester ie 600 miles and still a few miles left on the range computer.

• Like 1

How many miles did you still have on the range computer??

Near 55 mpg is not impossible and with venting over 500 miles is not too hard to achieve, over 600 miles is my best distance on tank ie Worcester-Glasgow-Worcester ie 600 miles and still a few miles left on the range computer.

Hi,15 miles left(low level light on)

Hi,15 miles left(low level light on)

I always had great confidence in the Skoda fuel computer and took it well past zero on occasion to reach the next oasis of 99 octane fuel.

No sign, or sound of fuel pump cavitation, and it was the need for high octane fuel and relatively small fuel tank, a part from life is too short to have the same vehicle twice, tat after nearly 100k miles I did not replace with another one.

Usual mileage per tank was more like 450 miles with a good vented fill ie about 50 litres in the system, enjoying its performance which is part of the point of having one but blowing off 2 litre wiesel engined cars comes with its risk of get points/ban so a period of with the Dacia Logan, 55 mpg easy, 600 mile range ie filling up every 3 days rather than 2 doing my 1K miles a week, is good in many respects.  Fuel computer not quite so far but it is still learning fuel use history I think.    

I done 771 round trip to the pod and used 79 litres of fuel that works out 44 mpg!

Coasting makes quite a difference ie on those long gentle downhill bits knock it from drive to neutral, you can gain loads of extra miles this way.

The 7 speed DSG in the Octy Mk3 has this built in but not sure they have done in the Fabia twin-charge.   You stay in Drive but the software pops both clutches, revs drop to tick over, spooky first time it occurs and dealers are not very good at warning new owners it happens who sometime think it is broke/wrong.

As the Fabia VRS is not the best aero drag coefficient not pushing it when there is a headwind also helps but pushing on when there is a tail wind.  

Over 50 mpg not too difficult to achieve even with an average speed round the national limits.

Also braking is waste so letting the car slow naturally of course is a big help ie anticipation. 

You do not get long coasting bits heading north or south on the M6, A1 , M1 etc.

Well not if going with the flow, or staying ahead of those that want to be in your back seat.

I used a lot of Fuel south of the Scottish Border going to Santa Pod and even more in the Rain yesterday heading north as far as Newcastle, 

then Road Works through Newcastle, Average Speed Cameras & Fixed and Log Hauling HGV's got my average to a bit less than  VrsGeo

but certainly improved the Average over the week and a bit.

1,900 miles covered in the past 10 days and that was 213 Litres of Tesco Momentum. (47 Gallons near 40.5 MPG)

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

You do not get long coasting bits heading north or south on the M6, A1 , M1 etc.  Well not if going with the flow, or staying ahead of those that want to be in your back seat.

I used a lot of Fuel south of the Scottish Border going to Santa Pod and even more in the Rain yesterday heading north as far as Newcastle, 

then Road Works through Newcastle, Average Speed Cameras & Fixed and Log Hauling HGV's got my average to a bit less than  VrsGeo

but certainly improved the Average over the week and a bit.

1,900 miles covered in the past 10 days and that was 213 Litres of Tesco Momentum. (47 Gallons near 40.5 MPG)

I nearly always use the M74 - M6 and there are some epic downhill bits which I feel sure a the best part of a mile and are great for burn and coast hyper-miling.

Not to everyone's taste but a bit of "pick-the-transit-doing-70 " and draft, just to the rear part of the partial vacuum bubble being towed behind can also extend the mileage by a good few miles.

Tyres a couple of PSI higher than standard, especially if on the All Seasons or Winters, 205/40-17s V rated just in case.    

You can get them to show Instantaneous 200 mpg,  or Average 62 or even 67 MPG without taking the Gearstick out of D. 

We have discussed coasting often enough,   foot off the throttle in gear in the Twincharger is economic enough and safer IMO.

Before going down hills you need to go up them,

and once at the bottom you have to climb again.

75 mpg down hill and 25 mpg up hill gives you the kind of Average MPG most get running In Gear not in Neutral.

Stuff taking it out of Gear as you go Across the Border and down to Jedburgh.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

from a driving instructors point of view, you will immediately fail your test slipping it into neutral while driving.....

you have no engine control.... less control ..... = not good...... no engine braking, no immediate throttle.......

when letting off the gas in drive the ECU will cut the fuel to the engine.... no fuel = increase mpg......

the systems in place on the new DGS's cannot be replicated by sliding into neutral.....

neutral while driving is not safe.

programmed with many other parameters like INSTANT drive in modern DSG's is different....

• Like 3

You can get them to show Instantaneous 200 mpg,  or Average 62 or even 67 MPG without taking the Gearstick out of D. 

We have discussed coasting often enough,   foot off the throttle in gear in the Twincharger is economic enough and safer IMO.

I would not suggest you coast in anything other than totally safe conditions ie none other car vaguely close, no chance of a wilder-beast leaping across the road needing powering away from.

Several VAG cars now have coasting function,  SAABs did many decades ago and now Q5 and Q7s et al had it first and now it has even filtered down to the latest DQ200 with the 4 mode selector...

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/content/au/brand/en/technology_and_service/technical-glossary/coasting-function.html

Must be some on the Octavia forum who have experienced this, I gather it is quite unnerving and although it re-engages PDQ it must at least take a few hundreds if not a tenth or two if you then press the throttle to pick up velocity.

VAG obviously thought it was worth doing ie worth another tenth or two of a litre per 100 kms. Woudl ahve thought the Mark 3 Fabia had it if it has mode select, not investigated as I did not see my self getting one.

Have my eco button on the Dacia/Renault which improves consumption by up to 10%, actually about 5% ie extra urban from 62 to 65 mpg on the TCE 90 engine.

from a driving instructors point of view, you will immediately fail your test slipping it into neutral while driving.....

you have no engine control.... less control ..... = not good...... no engine braking, no immediate throttle.......

when letting off the gas in drive the ECU will cut the fuel to the engine.... no fuel = increase mpg......

the systems in place on the new DGS's cannot be replicated by sliding into neutral.....

neutral while driving is not safe.

programmed with many other parameters like INSTANT drive in modern DSG's is different....

No such thing as instant.

Now a Honda or Yahama MotoGP gearbox, that is near instant, well a hundredth of a second or so.  Quite a long time in track racing when you are doing tens of gear changes per lap.

From someone who has the DQ200 with the full de-clutching during at speed it scared the cr*p out of them.

Of course if you have an older DQ200 anyways it just does it anyways between gears some times when it gets a touch of confusion I have found a few times to my embarrassment. Then putting it back to neutral, at speed and try and avoid reverse and then back to S or D and hope it starts to play again.

Coasting use less fuel as it better perpetuates momentum.  Laws of thermodynamics dictate, system boundaries and all that.  2nd law (actual the third after the zeroth and first).. 

https://youtu.be/VXPoJAyeF8k