Clarion head unit - no central locking now!

Just fitted a clarion MP3 head unit -DB348RMP....It sounds great BUT the cars central locking has stopped working !!!!!

If i remove the clarion head unit the central locking comes back to life, so Its obvoiusly some sort of wiring issue. Do I need some sort of adaptor??? .....Or am I now in posession of a head unit that I cant use?

Can anyone help out? I noticed a thread : http://www.briskoda.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24404 with the exact same query but the guy didnt get a reply.

Thanks for advice Lummox....Do you know if I'll be able to get an adaptor to achieve this? I dont want to cannibalise the cars wiring - I'll probably want to put the sypmphony head unit back in when I come to sell...

Its not the car's wiring - its usually on the head unit wiring. no need to touch anything from the 2 ISO connectors back. :) I had to do this on my pioneer but that was just to get it to turn off when I killed the ignition. The central locking was never affected.

If the Head Unit cable loom has in-line fuses between its ISO connector and the back of the head unit you can simply open the fuse holders up and switch them over. Just make sure you don't change the fuses over too.

Attached a pic of the wiring supplied with Clarion head unit.

As you can see the yellow cable has a 15amp inline fuse. Both the yellow & red cables have two part connectors wrapped in a plastic coating - are these the 'bullet' connectors?....

Please forgive my ignorance of electrical wiring!

Thanks for advice guys.

6594.attach

Attached a pic of the wiring supplied with Clarion head unit.

As you can see the yellow cable has a 15amp inline fuse. Both the yellow & red cables have two part connectors wrapped in a plastic coating - are these the 'bullet' connectors?....

Please forgive my ignorance of electrical wiring!

Thanks for advice guys.

Yes, those are bullet connectors. :)

Yes, you can try swapping them over to something like this:

6603.attach

Yes' date=' those are bullet connectors. :)

Yes, you can try swapping them over to something like this:[/quote']

Thanks very much for the picture update, thats just what I needed ! - an idiots guide ! I'll let you know how it goes when I reinstall the head unit at the weekend.

Thanks again everyone. What a great resource this is!:thumbup:

It's not the red and yellow wire's that cause the problem with the central locking.

the problem is new VAG stereo's require a extra permanant 12v signal to them (called SAFE on the head unit wiring diagram) which just happen's to be a 12v output for a arial on aftermarket head units.

Have a look on your old stereo. There will be a pinout diagram for the power and speaker connector blocks. Find the pin called SAFE on the diagram and the coresponding wire in the power connector block. Plug in your clarion loom and i think it will be a blue cable that goes from the connector block into the stereo. Cut this wire and it should solve the problem. Tape up the wire so it can be re-connected if transfered to another car. Hope this helps.

Lummox, could this be the symptoms of forgetting to disconnect the K-Wire, thus the car getting interference into the canbus network.

Nope. Can-bus doesnt do a great deal on Octavia 1 with regards to central door locking.

Usually if there is an issue with K line its that the diag equipment wont comunicate with anything on the car.

It's not the red and yellow wire's that cause the problem with the central locking.

Now I am confused.....Are you telling me NOT to swap the yellow & red cables around as described by TFBOY ?.....I dont want to do any damage.....I'm starting to feel a trip my local ICE shop may be the least stressful avenue!:( At least I can blame them if it goes t**ts up!

All the red and yellow wires do is permanant 12v and switched 12v from ignition and have nothing to do with your central locking.

Had the same problem on my octy vrs when i fitted my JVC headunit. I would take pics to show you the cable but dont have my octavia anymore.

Take a picture of the loom that came with the headunit and a close up of both connectors and i will be able to tell you which cable need cutting.

Hang on: There's a rather large sheet of instruction with Clarion h/us ISTR. There are specifiic instruction for certain AUDI/VW cars regarding the connection or taping up of certain wires. Certainly sounds like it could be the same ones.

Clarion head unit fitted and working - Swapped red/yellow cables over and cut blue as directed....CD & MP3 playback sounds great, a massive improvement on the symphony.And the added bonus....the Central locking is still working ! Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice.

Only 1 problem now....the FM reception is hopeless. I plugged in a DIN to ISO adapter, & connected the aerial, but I suspect that the original symphony head unit must have had some kind of integrated signal booster (?)