That's what I was saying. You have plenty tractor sound from the engine.

How would sound a sport exhaust on Felicia? Like any other sport exhaust. There are thousands of videos showing that.

My definition is: loud, obnoxious, illegal, totally useless in a street car. Pathetic in a diesel.

If you still feel the need to do it, here is the cheap Czech version.

sqGzgSP.jpg

yRWKLBz.jpg

TGtGvDT.jpg

Lol Ricardo, i want sound, no extra bhp... Lost my faith in Tooth Fairy ;-)

I was just curious about the sound, If somebody put a sport exhaustor on a diesel felicia.

I'm not sure you'll get much extra sound out of it.

About 20 years ago my then boss had a turbo diesel which broke its exhaust. We only noticed when we hear the back box dragging on the ground. When we took it to get a new rear system we also discovered that it had broken the baffles in the front box, so the only silencing effects were from the turbocharger.

About 20 years ago my then boss had a turbo diesel which broke its exhaust. .

Ken, you keep making very broad, not specific Felicia comparisons. You mentioned you don't know much about Felicia, but all cars are the same after all. I am sorry, but Felicia Diesel has no turbo and trust me, if the middle silencer is gone... the entire neighborhood will know it, no matter how loud the little tractor engine already is. The real problem is Felicia is not a sports car, not to mention a loud silencer is illegal.

:D Yep, I found the photos on Felicia Klub forum from Czechs. IIRC the poster bragged about 'his' stainless steel exhaust. Of course everybody drooled looking at that beauty... :clap:

• 3 months later...

Hey guys! I'm back :)) . Just a small question, does anybody knows exacly how glowplugs should work on lower temperatures? Somewere i found that it is supposed to work even after the engine has start, some guys say it should not work after the engine is on. In my case, glowplugs work for about 5 seconds, then on the voltmeter i have no indication.

Hey guys! I'm back :)) . Just a small question, does anybody knows exacly how glowplugs should work on lower temperatures? Somewere i found that it is supposed to work even after the engine has start, some guys say it should not work after the engine is on. In my case, glowplugs work for about 5 seconds, then on the voltmeter i have no indication.

Both statements are possibly correct, depending on whether your car has swirl pots (indirect injection) or not (direct injection). Since the DI engines were introduced during the Felicia's production life, the easiest way for us to know the answer would be if you can provide the engine code (3 letters, not the engine number) and date of production or first registration (if Romanian procedures track this).

I've a feeling that your observed behaviour is correct for the later DI engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Both statements are possibly correct, depending on whether your car has swirl pots (indirect injection) or not (direct injection). Since the DI engines were introduced during the Felicia's production life, the easiest way for us to know the answer would be if you can provide the engine code (3 letters, not the engine number) and date of production or first registration (if Romanian procedures track this).

I've a feeling that your observed behaviour is correct for the later DI

Engine code AEF, i suppose it uses Indirect Injection.

Cata

You can find all the answers you need in this document:

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/caaGdRot/file.html

RicardoM, thank you for that

PDF, i managed to find out some things, like that F2 sensor from door, actualy should energise the relay for glow plugs... had no ideea about that :D

PS I'm still working on translating it :)) , my Germanian skills are none :))

PS2: I forgot to mention that, on cold weather, i have some starting problems, like this: after the indicator for glow plugs goes off, i turn the key to start, engine starts ok, but it keeps turning off, i have to keep the gas pedall, when i take my foot off, engine stops. Is it posible to be happening becose glow plugs were supposed to work untill water get 65°C? I replaced the temperature sensor G27., also, N177 valve for idle speed, it seems not working ( or at least not working well), becouse after the engine starts, it stays at 900 rpm, and after it gets warmer rpm grows to almoust 1000 rpm. Any ideeas what i can check there?

Edited by kata999

The glow light indicator shows only the preheating phase. Depending of coolant temperature, the glow plugs may still work a while after the light is off.

I recommend using a VAG-COM scanner because that will tell you exactly what is wrong. No need to guess and replace parts blindly. Come back more often if you are really interested to know what is wrong. The problem might be as simple as a bad connection of wire 16 to ECU (J179). But as I said, first look for error codes.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

Yes, it's an IDI diesel, in which case the glow plugs should be energised longer than you describe.

The main reasons for IDIs not idling cold are:-

1. Glow plugs worn out (should show as "open circuit" on a voltmeter) or shutting down early.
  2. Idle speed too low.
  3. Cold enrichment mode not engaging.

As Ricardo says, VCDS will tell you which of these applies. Otherwise:-

1. As I say, a voltmeter may show one or more plugs open circuit. If this is the case replace them with Bosch or Beru glow plugs. They're not the cheapest, but they are the longest lived.
  2. What is the cold idle speed?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's an IDI diesel, in which case the glow plugs should be energised longer than you describe.

The main reasons for IDIs not idling cold are:-

1. Glow plugs worn out (should show as "open circuit" on a voltmeter) or shutting down early.
  2. Idle speed too low.
  3. Cold enrichment mode not engaging.

As Ricardo says, VCDS will tell you which of these applies. Otherwise:-

1. As I say, a voltmeter may show one or more plugs open circuit. If this is the case replace them with Bosch or Beru glow plugs. They're not the cheapest, but they are the longest lived.
  2. What is the cold idle speed?

Idle speed when engine is at 90°C is around 990 rpm, when is cold, it stays at around 910 - 920 rpm. Checked the glowplugs with an voltmeter, and thex work exacly untill the indicator on the dashboard goes off, around 5-6 seconds. Measured them with an Ohmetter, and seem to be ok, have about same resistence. I wont be able to do a VAG-COM too soon becouse of my work program... but i'l try someday next week. Thank you for your answers.

Edited by kata999

Idle speed when engine is at 90°C is around 990 rpm, when is cold, it stays at around 910 - 920 rpm. Checked the glowplugs with an voltmeter, and thex work exacly untill the indicator on the dashboard goes off, around 5-6 seconds. Measured them with an Ohmetter, and seem to be ok, have about same resistence. I wont be able to do a VAG-COM too soon becouse of my work program... but i'l try someday next week. Thank you for your answers.

I presume your rev counter is accurate here.

I'd expect the hot idle to be around 800rpm, and the cold slightly higher.

The dashboard light is not actually an indicator of when the glow plugs are energised, but of when they are hot enough to allow the engine to fire. On the IDI units I'd expect then to remain energised for 30s to 60s after the light goes out.

I'd expect the hot idle to be around 800rpm, and the cold slightly higher.

Actually the specific idle speed for Felicia 1.9 Diesel is 940 +/- 20 rpm. Cold engine speed is 1050 +/- 50 rpm.

Actually the specific idle speed for Felicia 1.9 Diesel is 940 +/- 20 rpm. Cold engine speed is 1050 +/- 50 rpm.

Ok, but that's substantially higher than for other Skodas (and VWs) fitted with the same engine.

Thing is, and I've said it over and over, we are not chit chatting about other Skodas in this topic. We are dealing with a real life Skoda Felicia 1.9D engine. I find very important to pass accurate information to readers. On the flip side, based on your generic information, the owner of this car could lose time and money struggling to achieve the false values that you suggest  Don't you feel you have a responsibility towards car owners? Because for generic stuff about cars there is Wikipedia. Haynes manuals are a good bedtime reading too.

Edited by RicardoM

Whilst the usual anally-retentive strutting around is fun to watch (especially with a few beers), perhaps noticing what Kata999 has actually written would yield something of importance?..........

Idle speed when engine is at 90°C is around 990 rpm, when is cold, it stays at around 910 - 920 rpm.

To my non-trained, non-anally-retentive eye......the hot idle speed is higher than the cold idle speed, regardless of the engine/model/phases of the moon specifics, I'm fairly sure that's not right.

To my non-trained, non-anally-retentive eye......the hot idle speed is higher than the cold idle speed, regardless of the engine/model/phases of the moon specifics, I'm fairly sure that's not right.

I don't see how your lax language adds value to this topic that has lots of rare, useful information gathered and explained mostly by me. I am sure that everybody knowing a little about engines observed the discrepancy in idle speed long before you mentioned it. In fact the OP has been advised precisely by me exactly about that issue, related to glow plugs feedback signal. OP is on the lookout for a VAG-COM to check for temperature data. I would be grateful if you would keep your language and anger to a decent level, with or without beer. Let's focus on technical issues. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

TeflonTom gave you a very good answer. He has a Felicia Diesel too and he knows those engines inside out.

The photo is just an example for reverse engineering the PCB. Skoda fitted 12 (twelve!) types of dashboards on Felicia depending on engine type (135, 135/6B, 135/6M, AEE, AEF), year of manufacture ('94-'96, '96-'98, '98-'01) and extra-options (LX, GLX). The photo happens to be from a '96 136B GLX Felicia. Your dashboard will be slightly different, but nevertheless the electronic diagnosis is the same. Basically rpm impulses from ECU (135/6B, 135/6M, and AEE engines), alternator (AEF engines) or ignition coil (135 engines) get at pin 7 of PCB yellow connector, then the impulses are reduced in amplitude to about 3 Volt pp and they feed the input (pin 13) of a custom IC made by ITT (KEFB-842) that drives the gauge as in the image below.

9F6ljGW.jpg

Hello.

I make Atmega based car computer for my Felicia 1.6.

Do you have complete schematic of dashboard ?

Thanks.

I make Atmega based car computer for my Felicia 1.6.

Do you have complete schematic of dashboard ?

I don't have the full schematic for Felicia 1.6. If you send me high resolution photos of PCB (both sides) I will reverse engineer the schematics in 2-3 days. Before taking photos, remove all gauges so that each component is visible.

Tell us aboot yourself. Where are you from? Greece? Are you an electronics engineer? Are you experienced in Atmel programming?