Red coolant light.

07 Octy vRS.

I got into my car today and as I turned the ignition I was immediately met with the flashing red coolant light and the temp gauge reading max ( 120 I think )

I popped the bonnet to check coolant which was fine. So I got back in the car started the engine regardless and the temp then moved back to normal/90c

Is this at all normal or have I got the early signs of a faulty sensor?

Mine has been doing similar without the faulty temperature reading, and I've tried cleaning the level sensor to no avail, so have ordered a new bottle with integrated level sensor.  Yours sounds like it might be temperature sensor given the odd reading you get on fire up (it can't be that hot on first fire up unless you had been in it in the last hour?).

Not sure where the temperature sensor is but someone will know I am sure...

I had the opposit. On a couple of very cold mornings I was getting the "very cool" coolant warning. I was convinced that the garage had forgotten to put anti-freeze in the system and that the coolant was actually frozen.

If I started the car and ran it for a bit then the warning would eventually go away and the temperature gauage would move back to normal.

Took the car in and they found the coolant temperature sensor was faulty and replaced it. Couldn't tell you where it is, but seems they do fail.

• Like 2

I had the opposit. On a couple of very cold mornings I was getting the "very cool" coolant warning. I was convinced that the garage had forgotten to put anti-freeze in the system and that the coolant was actually frozen.

If I started the car and ran it for a bit then the warning would eventually go away and the temperature gauage would move back to normal.

Took the car in and they found the coolant temperature sensor was faulty and replaced it. Couldn't tell you where it is, but seems they do fail.

I had this over the winter a few times........found if I switched the ignition off and back on, it went away! Car has been serviced since and I mentioned the 'issue' when it was in but nothing ever came of it and she runs fine now!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I replaced my coolant expansion tank and level sensor but I am still getting the problem. I am now turning my attention to the coolant temperature sensor and possibly thermostat (although I doubt the latter as the temperature is stable and normal).

Where is the coolant temperature sensor on the BKD engine please. I have seen some conflicting reports on here of there possibly being two sensors??

Thanks in advance

Adam

Thanks, I've actually been out and looked in detail at VCDS readings and the temperature readings look entirely plausible, so I don't think it is that.

I started wondering if the coolant might be contaminated and causing the level sensor to trip, but I bridged the level sensor and the warning still came up so I am starting to wonder if it is more serious and ECU related in some way.

I am at a total loss as the car is seemingly in every way fine apart from this message in the maxidot, so if anyone has any thoughts, please fire away.

Cheers

Adam