Android head unit

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought one off eBay for my Superb to replace a Bolero. Had to get a new facia as well. Fitting was quite straightforward, had to disconnect the airbag light but had everything off until I replaced it so no warning lights. Seems to be ok but radio is rubbish so just got a double fakra aerial lead so going to try this. Music player a bit dodgy as it always starts from the first track it can find and doesn't remember where it was last time. Screen nice, Bluetooth good and sat nav quick and the beauty of it is that you can change some of the apps. That's the next thing to do. Overall OK but has lots of potential. 

I am looking to get one soon, does it support screen mirroring? Just bought a Columbus but looking at what else I have to buy to get the spec i want vs Chinese units means I'm going to change. Just need to find the right one

Between Android and Windows head units, what is better? And is any of them better then the regular head units?

Found one that looks nice but never played with one (both Windows and Android)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361090115778

For me 100% android, Navigation being my main interest. Very few navigation apps about that are recent for windows CE, also little other app support. So much out there for android now and moving steadily in the direction or car specific apps. As I said, for me a no brainer! I wanted navigation on the dash clocks so I got the columbus but have noticed that some that talk to the dash are starting to come through from China. When android meets the full can integration I am on as long as they support my lowly Mk2 Octavia.So am holding off for a while I think. Link below shows the unit I am talking about.

http://www.audiosources.net/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Changed the aerial lead for an amplified double Fakra lead. Connected the blue power lead to the blue Amp lead and the radio is much, much better.

Copilot is the nav app of choice, well worth the money, especially with a MiFi in the car providing traffic updates.

Music app is rubbish. Using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.music&hl=en-GB at the moment. Very fast when using with a 64 GB card quite full of music.

If you use a non-built-in music app you can't use the cars steering wheel controls. Working on this.

When you turn the car off it has to restart which takes about 30 seconds. Not a big problem but my old Bolero took about the same time to start if listening to music on the card.

Bluetooth good. Phone app rubbish and again looking to improve.

Overall I'm relatively happy as I don't mind fiddling with it. If you want a plug and play system buy a different one. But it is reasonably cheap!

I just upgraded mine to android and must say really impressed with it, running 4.4.2 android it works really well, does take a while to start if it on the sd card but if its on the radio its as soon as you turn the key..

I bought this one, plus the elm obd2 adapter from here

http://xtrons.co.uk/td730a-7-inch-android-4-4-2-motorized-screen-double-din-dvd-player.html

I seen a lot of bad reviews for this make but my last unit was from them and I had it 3 years with no problems at all..