250 miles from home. Misfiring like a...

Currently on holiday in Devon, was returning from a trip out, going up a hill at about 70, car drops down to 5th, starts misfiring, epc and engine light on.

Pull over, turn off and back on again and runs fine, now back at our accommodation.

Need to leave Saturday morning....

This car.

What is the Story, Miles & Service & Spark Plugs?

Do you have Skoda Assist to get them to Scan it.

Put a new Plug in until you get it sorted out, & all 4 plugs changed if required.

They might just do a new Coil.

Take it very easy.

Do you have the ITG Induction on the car. 

Is it Clean?

Anything else, Tuning Box?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Car is on 20k miles.

Had exact same problem a year ago and all 4 plugs were changed under warranty. I since changed to BKR7EIX's less than 5k miles ago.

Just taken car to a local vw/skoda garage so it's now in their hands.

2012 cthe, only performance mod is itg induction kit which was cleaned 3 weeks ago.

Me too.

I'm thinking it's going to be a cool pack because for the Ngk plugs to fail in less than 5k is unreal.

It's not so much the car messing about but more the time and place it happened, while were away and on a road with nowhere to pull over. The Mrs was hysterical and we got a 9 month old baby.

They burn out one on Cylinder 3.

& those NGK plugs really are not the best for a Twincharger even if REVO recommended them.

(But then the REVO Stage 1 was never very good.)

But this is a CTHE engine, and some have been burning plugs, 

and maybe the latest Skoda / VW Software Update will help with that.

• Like 1

Quick update.

Had a call from the garage.

Car was plugged in, misfires had been recorded and also an ECU update was available.

Update has been applied and new plugs being fitted so should get the car back this afternoon.

The car went in for a main dealer service only a month ago and I specifically asked if any updates were available and they said no, surely there hasn't been a new one in the last month or so?

• Like 1

That must be the one, car was serviced on 18th of March so actually a bit more than a month ago.

Wonder what the update includes. Although now plugs have been changed and car now should be OK, there must be an underlying issue seeing as I'm now on 4th set of plugs on a car less than 3 years old and just over 20k miles.

Software Updates to the ECU are the Manufacturer adjusting Engine Management as experience is showing failures,

and more failures, and more failures and wrecked engines

(more would show if Dealers stopped telling Drivers it is Normal. and report to the Factory)

like the Cylinder 3 overheating,  and the spark plug that has fouling with oil / Carbon build up giving up the ghost.

(and updates like trying to modify internal pressures in the engine to reduce the High Oil Use in some engines.)

Preventative measure, as they have been trying for 5 years now.

Various Updates for the CAVE, and now the CTHE.

VW have it resolved almost.

Discontinuing the Engines, and already discontinued the MK2 Fabia vRS

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 4 months later...

Bump thread, mine pooped itself last Sunday morning, pulled up at side of road and did the world renowned fix for all things electrical and switched it off and back on again and all was fine, rang dealership Monday morning and they couldn't look at it until Friday (yesterday morning) and it pooped itself again Thursday morning on way to work. So I immediate rang dealer and they said just bring it tomorrow as planned and if you late they would understand.

Conclusion was none conclusive, a misfire recorded on no.4 cylinder but not a normal misfire apparently so they swapped no.3 and 4 coil packs and sent me on my way and told to drive it straight there if it does it again, no word of and ecu update carried out.

If the 4 spark plugs have not been removed and closely inspected, that needs doing.

Do not boot the car if they have not been inspected.

??

What is a 'Normal Misfire' compared to a 'Not Normal Misfire' i wonder !

Why shouldn't I boot it, it's under warranty and I've made sure that at first sign of a problem the supplying dealer knows about it and I made the car immediately available to them, it was the dealer that couldn't fit it in for a diagnostic check for 5 days they didn't come across concerned about it and I've not been told to drive it any different to normal so if it goes pop, on there head be it. This is the same dealer that told me the brakes a fine when I had the pedal touch the bulkhead under heavy braking, in the end I got a friend that works at a Honda dealership to take it in a bleed the system and now it's fine.

Boot it to your hearts content then if you are happy enough to get a new engine if a tip comes off a plug.

Maybe just do not do it in the Outside Lane on an uphill pull with traffic inside you if there is a chance of it Misfiring and shutting down 1 or 2 cylinders.

I did that once and it is a Brown Trouser moment.

Take care on Slip Roads entering a Dual Carriageway or Motorway if giving it lots and you are on Super & Turbo below 3,500 rpm and joining traffic or cutting in quickly.

That is the common point where the issue occurs.

Boot it to your hearts content then if you are happy enough to get a new engine if a tip comes off a plug.

Maybe just do not do it in the Outside Lane on an uphill pull with traffic inside you if there is a chance of it Misfiring and shutting down 1 or 2 cylinders.

I did that once and it is a Brown Trouser moment.

Take care on Slip Roads entering a Dual Carriageway or Motorway if giving it lots and you are on Super & Turbo below 3,500 rpm and joining traffic or cutting in quickly.

That is the common point where the issue occurs.

Have you still got your car george or have you sold it?

Thanks for the heads up.

It probably sounds very arrogant of me to say that and think that way but I didn't buy the car the with the intention of taking on an apprenticeship of how it works. I have very little faith in the ability of my dealer but they are supposed to be the experts and I am merely Jo blogs off the street so I'm not going to tell them there job at this early stage for the fact I could well be wrong and if something goes pop after I've been fiddling then I could have an even bigger problem on my hands, also if I insist on a set of plugs to be put in they will charge me full wack for that work and as much as I want to insist that work be done, on principle in not going to do that, it should be there decision.

If they told me to drive it carefully because it may go wrong in a big way I would politely hand them back my keys and ask they let me know when I can collect the car when is working correctly.

You raced Karts, can you not check the Spark Plugs.?

Save the hassle of calling out Skoda Assist or the likes.

As it is if the Spark Plugs, or one plug is failing prematurely they can put a Warranty Claim into Skoda UK.

?

How many miles has your car done?

The Ignition Coils usually fail because of Spark Plugs overheating.

Wakey,

yes i have a Twincharger.

It was not my car that shut down the Turbo and 2 Cylinders, it was one i was road testing a couple of years back.

Yeah, I could but after reading some of the horror stories on here about the way Skoda deal with customers with engine issues, I'm more of the mind that if I don't touch it then there's nothing to argue about.

Go on then, what plugs do I need and what is the gap to be set at, or are they surface discharge type?

I never suggested you change the plugs now that you have had an Issue so Warranty Work has began if they have put your issue on the Dealers System.

*Be sure they have Recorded on the Computer System that they Checked & found 'Not normal misfires', 

& they swapped Coils.*

They should have inspected the Plugs, as 5 years of Twincharger Experiences should have had Skoda Master Techs aware, 

and there are Recommended Spark Plugs that Skoda / VW changed over to a while back and started fitting OEM.

(if more Technicians had started being aware 'reading or checking for TPI's and doing the simple check, then less failures might have occurred.)

Best leave it to them from now.

It is just out of curiosity i would have checked to see what they never checked.

?

How many miles has your car done, and what age is it?

It was registered January 2014 new to me and now at 16,600 miles.

I don't mind playing with suspension and brakes, and if these engines didn't have such a colourful history I would have most likely put a set of plugs, air filter, oil and filter change between the mandatory services that the warranty/service plan dictates but I figured best to leave well alone except I periodically check the oil level.

Edited by wrightcnc2009