Help needed to release a trapped Cricket from my Superb

This noise has been bugging me for over the last year to eighteen months and it had been to the dealers a number of times to no avail. Initially they thought it might be low AC coolant but when it went in this week that didn't seem to be the issue.

The noise appears to be intermittent and can appear straight away or after 20 minutes or so driving. I think the best way to describe it is like a metallic cricket noise. I have managed to capture it a couple of times on video and have posted it on YouTube so you can listen to it and see what you think. It appears to be coming from the engine compartment. We have turned off the AC and this doesn't seem to make a difference. It also doesn't happen at a particular rpm either.

When I booked it in the service manager heard it and agreed that it wasn't normal. But after three days they haven't been able to find the issue.

The only thing I am thinking is maybe it could be my sons isofix car seat as I do take it out every time I book the car in.

Anyway the link is below. I would appreciate some advice on what it could be.

Btw the car is a Superb Estate L&K 2012 2.0tdi 4x4 170bhp manual

Thanks in advance

Mine has done this a few times and I don't have child car seats. It's a 170 TDI too. Mine rises with Rev so suspect it was engine generated. Haven't heard it in ages though but the sound in the video reminded me. Could it be the heat shield at the back of the engine bay?

Edited by Stinker

Hi

Not sure if this helps but get a similar noise in mine and other octavias I have had.

It has usually been resolved with a air con regas as it adds more lubricant to the ac system. When it gets low or there is a leak I get a metallic grinding noise that is very similar to yours.

As I say only an idea :)

Mine has done this a few times and I don't have child car seats. It's a 170 TDI too. Mine rises with Rev so suspect it was engine generated. Haven't heard it in ages though but the sound in the video reminded me. Could it be the heat shield at the back of the engine bay?

Thanks for the suggestion. I had an issue with the heat shield several months ago where it had sheared and was replaced. Although this was happening at a certain rpm around 1800 I think.