Merc E320 Kompressor nearly wiped me out tonight!

devonutopia

God, some people can't seem to control their RWD super powerful cars... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Was next to one of these cars - quite nice and I expect damn quick - tonight as I headed home from Torquay - Going over a roundabout which is dualled right through, and this Merc takes exception to me being alongside - Boots it away from these lights, not that I was racing, so I just carry on....

Next thing I know the dual carriageway straightens up, but a small crest off the roundabout catches the E320 unaware and suddenly the back end swings out toward my lane! :eek: (I was a good 20 yards behind, but still, I got a good view!) So, now the ar5e is in my lane, she's (yes I saw the lady in question at the red lights beforehand) drifted right out nearly hitting the BIG kerb that's keeping the grass up in the central res (part of the roundabout essentially) then she heads the other way, **** over to the left, she drifts right across the rumble strip nearly into the other side, and finally after another fishtail in to my lane (I'd deccelerated f***ing quickly by now ;) )carries on in the inside lane, taking off at 90mph+ up the dual carriageway.

It was a very wet greasy road, not raining, but still treacherous. There's no way I'd have tried to race in those conditions, but it seems Mercs can't stand Skodas pulling up alongside them. This nearly cost her a very nice Mercedes tonight. oddly enough I'd have liked to see her slide into that big kerb and knackerd a couple of alloys / suspensions / etc.... She deseved it. :thumbdwn: Couldn't handle a powerful RWD car and made the silly decision to try and put me in my place. :grumpy:

I'm going to reflect on what I witnessed tonight, whilst I sleep - Never seen anything like it on a public road - A frickin limo sized Merc nearly lose her back end under power in such nasty conditions.... [sigh]

G'nite everyone. Furby is still in 1 piece! :thumbup:

Tut tut, some people :rolleyes: Well done for doing the now obviously sensible thing :thumbup:

Didn't think they did a supercharged version of their 3.2 V6 (the Kompressor bit of the badge) :confused:

Steve

seems to be more common place these days. luckily you werent along side the car at the time! seems that anytime someone wants to drive at the speed limit on a twisty or tight road some plonker wants to race you :(

when i was out the other week i was coming over a roundabout onto a dual carrage way, the road was clear infront of me so i gradually accerlerated upto speed, then i saw in my rear view mirror this Accord type-r approaching. i overtake a slower car as he continues to follow me very close. there is a tight corner on the road but as i know the road well i know my car can comfortablly take it at 70 without any drama. so i maintain my speed but the accord doesnt manage the same and back end twitches all over the place. he suddenly backs off compared with the close distance he was driving at to miles back after his scare.

this seems to be common and even had a punto attempt it too on a different road. seems some people see a car with big alloys and lowered and expect a race or try and beat it at all times :rolleyes:

Had an encounter less than 2 weeks ago in my Fabia vRS.

Theres me at the traffic lights all nice and calm going about my business and next to me pulls up a lady in Merc SL200 who clearly is in a hurry as she is creeping over the white line and obviously is going to cut me up coming off the roundabout as she is in wrong lane just so she could get to the front of the queue :mad:

So ......I decide I'm not having that :D , the lights turn green and almost immediately I have pulled away and only expect to get as far as the roundabout exit without being cut up and then the Merc will gain on me, HOW WRONG WAS I? I must have pulled about 5 car lengths by the time we hit the carriageway and could clearly see in the rearview that the lady in the Merc was not happy and trying to gain on me judgeing by the speed we were both travelling at and her somewhat interesting driving manouvers when she realised she wasnt ging to push past me, but she just couldn't get close eventually I backed off as we were approaching a roundabout and well she just had to try and prove her point and shoot past me and late break on the roundabout just so she could could get ahead, only to find a massive Tescos lorry blocking the exit so she had to swerve and take the wrong exit :rofl:

I guess the msot surprising thing was that SL200 couldnt gain on me? I would have thought it would be a lighter car being only a 2 seater and quoted 0-60 times lower than the Fabia, therefore having an advantage over me? I have no doubt she was trying so another big :thumbup: for the Fabia vRS

Paul - It could have been a C class actually - definitely wasn't an SLK, it was a big five door saloon beast... with a twitchy ar5e! :D

traction control? It was VERY wet and greasy on the roads - I expect traction control wasn't being given a chance with the driver booting it full throttle over that crest. :rolleyes: The fishtailing was collected in a very un orthodox fashion so I suspect was more to do with traction kicking in, than driver skill (which was blatantly lacking... :D)

I would have thought the Merc should have had Traction Control to prevent fishtailing....

I suspect there's a section in the user manual which explains that, advanced though the traction control systems are, it cannot contravene the laws of physics.

Well, that's what it says in my Smart manual...same company and all that...

Rob.

Whichever it was, C or E, depending on the age of it, I think they all come with an ESP system now. So unless it was old than say 2002 or something, I'm surprised her antics weren't kept in check.

And for Grubb and the SLK 200 - they're slow as anything, and it was probably an auto :rolleyes: - heavy little blighters too

Steve

I suspect there's a section in the user manual which explains that' date=' advanced though the traction control systems are, it cannot contravene the laws of physics.

Well, that's what it says in my Smart manual...same company and all that...[/quote']

Funniest thing I read on the way back from my girlfriend buying her Smart. :D

I have yet to have anyone try and race me in my vRS. Perhaps I just look too coy?

SL200?? There's an SL200?? I thought it started at the SL350 up to the 55 AMG model? Aren't there only 3 models in the SL class??

Pretty sure the UK does have an SLK200 - I think Grubb forgot the "K" ;) An SL200 would be a HUGE hunk of metal for an engine that size - Its no good unless its got a 5 litre with forced induction, maybe even 6 litres. :D

Yeah that's what I was thinking....SL200...no way...we have the whole Merc line here and I've never seen one...

Thanks for that :D

SL200?? There's an SL200?? I thought it started at the SL350 up to the 55 AMG model? Aren't there only 3 models in the SL class??

The old SLK's were available in 200, 230 and 320 IIRC.

you would really have to be a **** to lose a merc in that way..or not own it so you wouldnt care anyway....

actually..the octy vrs would have been more fun if it had been "real" wheel drive..

oh god..that's gonna start somthing!

women cant handle rwd as a rule..I actually prefer it but then learnt to drift in a 136 rapid! oh god there i go again..OBVIOUSLY it wasnt on public roads...

I always make sure my other half has an underpowered front driver so she cant bend it going sideways..that'll be a three banger polo then.now thats slow.

especially if its a recent one..what electrical failure are we gonna have this week then?? pre 1992 mercs ARE the best cars to own long term..they just dont break.they were made to a standard not seen on anything else..and they hold their money better than other prestige cars.but after 1992..better get to know a good auto electrician then....