Discreet Dash Cam Install

You can only use an empty slot if you wire the line properly into the back of the fuse box with a repair wire (ie with a terminal on the end of it). Otherwise its a fuse tap but you can then use any active fuse that is appropriately rated. I prefer the former as it looks tidier and not too hard once you drop the steering trim.

5amps should be plenty.

Edit: re-reading this do you mean a fuse tap in an empty but wired slot? There may be one but there weren't too many available in my previous experience...

Yes, an empty but powered slot. If there is one I wouldn't need to piggy back, just straight in 

I used my electrical tester to find a ignition live & a permanent live,the ones i found were empty (they didnt have a fuse in them) they were at the bottom of the fuse box,you need to test with a meter or other electrical tester if you do it this way. 

Yes, an empty but powered slot. If there is one I wouldn't need to piggy back, just straight in

If you can find one and it tests as appropriate you can use it with a tap.

• Like 1

I'll have to see if someone will test me them then, as I don't have one

Basic meters from Maplins are a tenner or so. You will use it more than once I suspect.

• Like 1

You realise you can use it in an existing taken slot adding the original fuse as well as a new fuse for the new wire?

You realise you can use it in an existing taken slot adding the original fuse as well as a new fuse for the new wire?

Ha yes I do mate.

As I said, it already has one in the rear wiper fuse, so wondered if I could plug straight in an empty slot that's all.

Not sure which of the used ones to piggy back to though

Sorry didnt mean to be patronising or anything but if it were me I would have plugged in after all the hard work to get this far!!!

Looks like they are full size taps? If so use a 5amp full size fuse and link it in an existing allocated slot in the top two rows or so for the permanent live, and bottom two for switched...

• Like 1

I will have a look at mine in the morning & see if i can tell you exactly which ones ive used & the position of them in the fuse box from your picture (if you connect them though its at your own risk)  :D

• Like 1

Damo,i have just had a look at mine now,im on a work pc so cant see your picture of your fuse box but on my fusebox i have used the following empty fuse spaces:- counting from the top of the fuse box- On the fourth row down ive used the first empty space from the left(as you look at the fuse box) for the ignition live & the one next to it for the permanent live. next to these two empty spaces is a 10 amp fuse then a space then a 15 amp fuse then a space then the rest are full with 30 amp fuses. Hope this helps you,my car is a 2008 petrol vrs.

• Like 1

Sounds exactly like mine, apart from I have a 25A in that cluster of 30A you mention.

Thanks for that, although I'm using a piggy back fuse method and not repair wire method, so not sure if those 2 empty slots will have power to them or not

Appreciate your help though

Regards

Damo

Sounds exactly like mine, apart from I have a 25A in that cluster of 30A you mention.

Thanks for that, although I'm using a piggy back fuse method and not repair wire method, so not sure if those 2 empty slots will have power to them or not

Appreciate your help though

Regards

Damo

if you look into the empty fuse holder and see a brass piece in the top, that fuse has a feed ,if no brass piece, no live feed I searched this way, and inserted a piggy back fuse into the socket, the reason being that the feed has a fuse protecting it

• Like 1

All sorted :)

Big thanks to everyone who helped answer my million questions, its much appreciated

These are the fuses I used...

IMAG0311_zpstf4jukqy.jpg

Top left piggy back is switched live, and top right is perm live (both empty slots)

This is where I mounted it (You can't see it much from the outside due to the black sun shading, and you can still reach all the buttons fine)

IMAG0308_zpsjxhdo7w5.jpg

And the video in on my HU, which you can watch live if you want (but obviously I don't as its illegal whilst the vehicle is moving!)

IMAG0307_zpsrmaa8wwv.jpg

Recorded a few trips and watched them back on my iMac.

Quality is pretty good, considering the price :thumbup:

I must also say, I had the issue some others have had, thinking ,my memory card must be a bad one. It would record for a few seconds and switch to pause.

I tried reformatting again, using the option on the camera as well as reformatting the card on my mac.

Nothing seemed to cure it. 

I really thought the card was knackered (even though it was a brand new one)

As a last resort, I restored back to factory settings, and bingo it sorted it.

Its been fine since, so fingers crossed thats the answer should anyone else have the same problem.

Also, another tip I think could help someone, is when installing the wiring, start by using the hole under the steering column to thread the red, white and black wires towards the fusebox. That way the yellow video out is close enough to the head unit.

Then remove the A pillar trim and run the camera wire up to the roof lining and along. 

Then its just a case of connecting the plug of the camera to the wire and tucking it under the roof lining near the interior light.

Hope that helps someone, as I started with the wire coming down the A pillar, and found the box with the video cable wasn't near enough to the HU.

Anyway, will let you know regarding long term reliability when Ive had it a while.

Cheers

Damo

• Like 2

Just bought one, going to get a new Scandisk MicroSd 32g, is it just a case of putting the card in the camera and letting the camera format it?

Just bought one, going to get a new Scandisk MicroSd 32g, is it just a case of putting the card in the camera and letting the camera format it?

In the camera settings, you should format the card straight away, although it will be in FAT32 as already said by metblackrat.

First thing to do is switch the language from Chinese to English :D

• Like 1

Do you need a class 6 card for this then? Not class 10?

I have ordered one as seems worth a try for the price :)

I'll probably be bombarding this thread when it comes to fitting the thing haha!

Do you need a class 6 card for this then? Not class 10?

I have ordered one as seems worth a try for the price :)

I'll probably be bombarding this thread when it comes to fitting the thing haha!

They recommended a class 6 yes

looked all over for class six, could only find class 4 which I bought, and you provide a one on ebay. will it be ok,i have not got the dash camera installed yet.

I'm sure it will be fine

I think a lower class rating such as 4, is more likely to work than a higher class like a class 10

Don't worry 

• Like 1

looked all over for class six, could only find class 4 which I bought, and you provide a one on ebay. will it be ok,i have not got the dash camera installed yet.

I have a class 4 in mine & it works fine.  :thumbup:

• Like 1