MK1 Octavia VRS, Lemon Yellow.

JasonE92

Well it appears I am now a Skoda owner.

After the unreliability and painful running costs of my BMW 330ci, I decided it was time to go back to VAG. For the money, MK1 VRS' seemed to be a bit of a bargain when you think about it. MK4 GTI with more power, more practicality and due to the nature of the brand they tend to be better looked after as well!

So, I started looking. I knew what I really wanted was something that had done below 100k, and preferably yellow. I thought this was a little unrealistic until I stumbled upon this Gem on eBay!

17164355470_4fa4147c68_z.jpg

After trying to contact the very busy owner about prices and what he'd take in cash to end the auction early, a very agreeable price was mentioned and that was it. I was on a train from my home town of Bicester, all the way to Bognor. When I got there I wasn't disappointed at all. 

17325951466_abbaaf0584_z.jpg

The very nice chap was the 2nd owner, and he'd had it for 11 years. In that time, he'd kept just about every receipt you can think of, all the old tax discs and had it serviced only by Skoda Main Dealers. The car itself had only covered 86k which for the age is well below average, and in the last year its barely covered 5k. 

17325947396_62d26dbfba_z.jpg

As well as it having lovely original things like a full tool kit, luggage net and full size spare alloy, he also threw in another full size spare into the deal for a bit of extra cash. Happy days!

16731658513_4b2f7cfe9f_z.jpg

16731655283_3d76a2026d_z.jpg

I love buying cars like this. The owner reminded me of myself, in that he's taken pride in his car and always spent extra where he can to keep it mint. Little things like respraying the plastic parts as to stop the dreaded paint fade, making sure the car has a set of GOOD matching tyres etc etc.

I've already sorted its first modification, a new stereo (since I wanted iPod connectivity, and bluetooth hands free). I'm quite particular in audio quality, so it had to be an Alpine unit. As for the door speakers, they'll be upgraded with some sound deadening and probably 4 JL components from the TR range.

I'm looking at remapping it, but other than a KandN filter its totally standard at the moment. Due to the fact it will be a custom written remap, I may wait until I have my exhaust guy sort me out with something a little more free flowing, although not too loud!

Anyway, if anyone has any nice little easy modifications to these I figured here would be the best place to come for inspiration! 

• Like 1

Welcome to the fold matey!

Ignore the abuse you got on FB, mine is the best car i've owned. lol

Polybush the front lower arms as soon as you can, unless you want new arms every M.O.T (no jokes).

Mine came with an uprated recirc valve for more choo choo noises. Still making me smile. I'd recommend doing that.

Welcome to the fold matey!

Ignore the abuse you got on FB, mine is the best car i've owned. lol

Polybush the front lower arms as soon as you can, unless you want new arms every M.O.T (no jokes).

Mine came with an uprated recirc valve for more choo choo noises. Still making me smile. I'd recommend doing that.

Haha the amount of cars I've owned I'm used to the abuse ;)

It already has some nice wooshy noises from the K&N, so a nice recirc valve may be a good upgrade as I hear the standard ones often fail. Is it that Forge 007p or w/e its called? And cheers for the tip on polybushes! 

Yep, that's the one. There is apparently an almost identical one from (i think) Compbrake. Only it's cheaper.

I know you'll overhaul the suspension (as you have on every car you've owned lol) but the polybushes are a must really.

Yep, that's the one. There is apparently an almost identical one from (i think) Compbrake. Only it's cheaper.

I know you'll overhaul the suspension (as you have on every car you've owned lol) but the polybushes are a must really.

I like the standard height and ride for now! The only upgrade I'd consider is the ST Springs/ Koni Dampers 20mm kit I've seen about. Expensive and not adjustable but the handling gains will hopefully but larger than a cheaper coilover kit etc.

I'm calling BS and saying it'll be in the weeds before too long! lol

Also have a look in the Octavia 1 section slightly further down. As mentioned on FB there is so much useful info and tips.

Well after a weird engine issue last night, a good clear on vag com and a blast out SEEMS to have fixed it.

Looks like I have some second hand polybushes for the lower arm rear bush issue, and will figure out what rear beam bushes I'm putting on in the next week.

You're on CS as well then :) lovely car :)

Quite a few of us now!

TT ones won't need replacing every MOT. Mine never failed an MOT on the original ones but they were well past their best and there was a big difference after replacing them with the TT ones. I wouldn't fit poly bushes on a daily driver in case it made it too harsh, the TT ones are a good OEM+ upgrade.

• Like 1

Quite a few of us now!

TT ones won't need replacing every MOT. Mine never failed an MOT on the original ones but they were well past their best and there was a big difference after replacing them with the TT ones. I wouldn't fit poly bushes on a daily driver in case it made it too harsh, the TT ones are a good OEM+ upgrade.

As above a friend has some Poly's in his garage he took off his Bora when he parted it out. They haven't done much mileage so may as well throw them in. What would you recommend for the rear beam bushes? As they are starting to show a bit of play in them as well.

Haven't replaced the rear beam bushes on mine yet (127k) but from memory I think there are uprated ones from a mk1 fabia that fit - have a search for "rear beam bushes" in this section and something should show up.

Okay so all parts ordered from TPS, should be done tomorrow evening. My friend couldn't find his bushes so in the end I went for:

Standard rear beam bushes

Audi TT lower arm bushes.

Genuine temp control sensor

Genuine thermostat.

New genuine Leon Cupra R splitter

Any handy tips on nice little MK4 platform parts I can upgrade mine with? Already looking into soft close grab handles an a black carpet!

• Like 1

Okay so tonight we managed to get fitted:

TT Bushes, Forge 007p recirc valve, new temp sensor. Also welded up a loose exhaust bracket. Cleared all the fault codes, took it out and it feels great. On closer inspection the rear beam bushes don't look too old and I may have been a bit hasty to order them. Still, keeping them as spares along with the thermostat.

All genuine, of course!

Already looking into soft close grab handles an a black carpet!

I recently put a black carpet in mine. Direct fit from a MK4 Golf.

I think it devides opinion- it obviosuly looks cleaner and easier to maintain, but it does lose a bit of the VRS pedigree.

Having said that, my white carpet was way past being salvageable, i think the previous owner had tried to use bleach on it!

Had a pretty good weekend on the banana.

17623519950_75799850d7_z.jpg

First off, went to the local scrappy looking for mk4 gems. There was a well specced Elegence estate there, so got a few bits for both me and my mums TDI estate.

Front arm rest was something I've been missing, so feel pretty lucky finding an Octavia one in pretty good nick (was caked in dog hair mind you). Nice easy fit as well, made sure to get all the brackets and bolts from the scrapper.

17811531451_4a2e187df3_z.jpg

17624829229_fd5cb40211_z.jpg

Also picked up the interior trimmings as I want to experiment with different wraps/colours. Another nice addition I'm working on is soft close grab handles, stole some grey ones off of one of the many MK4 Golfs in there, and instead of butchering them for the soft close catch I'm going to try spraying them. So far they look pretty good using "rubberised black" enamel spray from halfords.

17811518851_6ad66ed6de_k.jpg

As for new parts, lovely Cupra R splitter turned up form TPS. Love it now it's fitted!

17784769776_0d5a330c26_z.jpg

17190715413_f0467560f5_z.jpg

Edited by JasonE92

Buy the leather look armrest lid from ebay. Looks so much better and fit perfect as I had to buy one. Lovely car mate

Item number 200980873785

Edited by stewyp1983

Spend my working day making stuff out of Carbon Fibre, there I am on my lunch break wrapping stuff in fake carbon....

11053607_10155603872715385_4049230636164

Not entirely sure what I think of it, but I had some spare trim I picked up from the scrapyard at the weekend to play with so thought for the sake of £5 ebay specialzzzz wrap I'd give it a shot.

• Like 1