EPC & Traction light = No throttle

Hi all, just encountered my first problem after two years of vrs ownership and its baffled me tbh and any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

So, I'm driving down the motorway at around 75 with cruise control on then traction and epc light came on the clocks, then I notice I was slowing down so when I hit the throttle nothing happened?? The engine didn't cut out just sat on tickover, so I Coasted over to the hard shoulder and switched motor off, had a quick check under the bonnet and couldn't see anything immediately a miss.

Jumped back in and she started fine, no lights and throttle had come back, now it's bugging the crap out of me! Any one had the same issue or heard of this before??

Get it scanned it should have thrown a code for that. The tc light coming on can also be linked to the abs but I'm not sure what that would have to do with this, possibly a dodgy brake switch? Could have cut the power as ecu thought car was braking heavily? Shot in the dark that but try a scan.

Did a scan as soon as I got back home but no faults showing or even pending, that's what's baffled me?

I've had the tc light on before but that turned out to be a dodgy maf

It is a strange one. I've not had the brake switch thing happen to me but I have heard of it causing some strange power issues, could be a possibility here. Is it vcds you've got?

for the scan I used pcmscan but no codes then vcds lite but still nothing. I have seen a few stories about dodgy brake switches causing random faults like think I'll check that out soon as I can

Indeed you don't want power dying unexpectedly, could leave you in a sticky situation. Strange that a code wasn't thrown for it, even just an electrical signal high/low.

Hopefully someone else will be along with another suggestion. Wouldn't be linked to a strange signal from the cruise control would it?

Indeed, just a good job the road wasn't busy today! cruise control could be a possibility I suppose, I'll see what I can find if anything and hope it was a one off. Its gonna bug me now though until I know what caused it

I know the feeling. Cruise control a bit of a shot in the dark, just wondering about a deceleration signal being given off when it shouldn't be. Good luck, keep us posted would be interested to know what it is. Try a Google search with briskoda in the keywords if you haven't already.

for the scan I used pcmscan but no codes then vcds lite but still nothing. I have seen a few stories about dodgy brake switches causing random faults like think I'll check that out soon as I can

Did you try the ABS controller as well as the engine ECU with VCDS-Lite?

I didn't, just the engine, bit of a vcds virgin atm, have used palmers scan tools until recently when I was gave a cable for vcds, I'll hook it back up soon as I can get some time and check other modules n have a play about see if that throws anything up. I'll keep yous posted, hope it turns out to be something simple nothing worse than not knowing :/

I'm on my 3rd Octavia and this has happened once only in my current car, and in a previous one, both times i was pulling away from a junction. Re-starting solved everything, in my current car, the last incident was 5 years ago. No fault codes showed up when i got it plugged in.

I'm on my 3rd Octavia and this has happened once only in my current car, and in a previous one, both times i was pulling away from a junction. Re-starting solved everything, in my current car, the last incident was 5 years ago. No fault codes showed up when i got it plugged in.

Do you know what caused it?

Do you know what caused it?

No idea, i don't recall that i pulled away from those junctions any differently than i normally would have. My mechanic didn't offer up any answers other than see if it does it again, and 5 years on it hasn't.

No idea, i don't recall that i pulled away from those junctions any differently than i normally would have. My mechanic didn't offer up any answers other than see if it does it again, and 5 years on it hasn't.

Weirdness, think it would have driven me nuts wondering whether it would or wouldn't happen again.

Weirdness, think it would have driven me nuts wondering whether it would or wouldn't happen again.

To be honest the fact that it had happened before, albeit in a previous Octavia, i didn't worry. Just one of those things. Its apparently to do with the throttle, traction control or cruise, since mine had neither cruise or traction control, maybe i was bit sharp with the throttle!

To be honest the fact that it had happened before, albeit in a previous Octavia, i didn't worry. Just one of those things. Its apparently to do with the throttle, traction control or cruise, since mine had neither cruise or traction control, maybe i was bit sharp with the throttle!

Interesting you say that, one of my suggestions to the OP is that it may have been a weird signal from the cruise control. Suppose without a code being thrown it's pretty hard to know.

That sounds like the brake switch issue. If it does it again try tapping the brake pedal the hit the gas again.

I had numerous switches go on mine and the above allowed me to keep going.

That sounds like the brake switch issue. If it does it again try tapping the brake pedal the hit the gas again.

I had numerous switches go on mine and the above allowed me to keep going.

That was my first thought, be tempted to change brake switch

Mine did this for the first time a few weeks ago. Seems to be fine at 60 with cruise control on, but 70 or above now seems to trigger the exact same symptoms. Has changing the brake switch cured it for anyone? I seem to also have an ABS issue with no fault codes or lights, so I'm wondering if a new switch might kill both birds?

The brake light switch is dual circuit and costs about a tenner to replace and about 30 mins to change. It rattles if faulty, once removed. Getting the under dash trim off off and on properly takes half that time....

I doubt it causes power to be lost in the way described but worth trying given the small cost.

I used to own a highly modded MK1 4x4 which I sold 3 years ago and it was off the road for several weeks for an issue with it cutting out as soon as around 4500 rpm was reached under load. There is a long post about it somewhere in the forum archives. 

As it happens, just bought a completely standard vRS yesterday to run around in, so was re familiarising myself with Briskoda as need to clean my MAF soon, as knew it had 17705 error when I bought it.

Other thought; it could be an issue with the throttle pedal (DBW potentiometer) starting to develop. Mine had an occasional hesitation on picking up out of corners for about a year, ending in a complete failure of signal, and limp mode.