Steering wheel change

malcvtr

Good idea to keep it OE.

Unlock car and leave door open.

Disconnect both battery terminals in the right order.

Leave to stand at least 30 minutes to discharge static.

Rotate steering wheel 90 degrees one way and use flat bladed stubby screwdriver to release sprung clip behind wheel.

Rotate 90 degrees the other way and do the same. Airbag will come off.

Disconnect cable.

Centre steering wheel.

Undo the nut holding steering wheel on: can't remember exact what size but it's a 12 point spline IIRC.

Try not to move the steering angle sensor or whatever it is behind the wheel.

Swap wheels over.

Refit in reverse ensuring you tighten the nut to the correct torque (I'll have to check to see what it is).

Mark the nut as its only supposed to be removed and used again a maximum of 7 times.

Once battery is reconnected you'll have a steering light on the dash.

Drive in a straight line for about 30 meters and it'll go out.

You'll also need to reset the one touch windows.

Press and hold the button down to fully open the window. Press button again.

Wind fully up and lift button again.

Repeat for all windows.

Job done.

That's great info! Thanks very much indeed. As far as the MFSW goes, I'd assumed the functionality wouldn't be built into whatever control box controls everything :) Is that wrong?

You'll need a new steering controller (located under the steering cowling). This is relatively easy to change, but you'll need to know what the the current one is in order to find a suitable replacement (about £60-80 used).

That will need coding with VCDS - look at the VCDS Owners Map on here to find someone local to help you with that for a few beers.

Yeti 4 Spoke leather MFSW ex my car  (2011MY Elegance) taking up space here too!

Be happy to get shut of it for not many £'s :)

Thanks for the offers/advice guys. Very much appreciated - especially the "how to" by KBPhoto. Going the MFSW route seems too involved, to be honest. I'll probably stick with the standard leather wheel swap - it's just the hard plastic on the standard one I don't like.

Edited by malcvtr